Notices

Can u Frankenstein a TB?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4g94boost
Where are most of the power gains in the larger TB
I wouldn't expect more power, just better throttle response. Increasing the maf to 501 mad a big difference in throttle response, so I expect this to do more of the same...and then eventually a port and polish on the IM for even more. Its a good step in the direction of turboing the lanced too, as u,ll want more airflow...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

opinions?

So okay, I got some "magic" alloy welding sticks that are supposedly amazing for welding cast aluminum with a propane torch. Should be interesting. This is what my analysis of the evo TB and the Lancer OZ TB has found so far:

The throttle linkage on the stock OZ is wacky at best for the cruise attachment, but it looks as if I tap a few holes, cut a few pieces, and weld them onto the evo TB I should be able to make this work.

Here is the Lancer OZ throttle setup:

Here is the Evo throttle setup:

There are areas that look like stamp blanks for a universal fit that I believe I can tap/drill for a custom fit:
OZ throttle stop:

Tap area on EVO TB:

Spring retention tab on stock OZ:

Area to tap on EVO TB:

These are the pieces that will need to be cut off with either a cutoff wheel or more sloppily with a jig (I can grind the connecting ends after):
(this is on the bottom of the overall pic at the beginning of the post)

(this next pic is the top of the first overall pic, I think I can tap the existing cast on the EVO tb ---part with the stamped numbers below---to hold everything in place with screws/bolts while I weld the rest to line it all up correctly)...probably need some washers for spacers)

^this pic also has a slight protrusion for a throttle stop, but it doesn't extend as far as the stock OZ's, so I'll deal with this second one i get the welded mockup in place and can position the throttle shaft and throttle linkage assembly...stock OZ throttle stop:

Definitely going to need to cut and weld some to make it work, as you can see the space gap for mounting here:

Now this is my major snag right now...the butterfly plates are mounted completely different on the OZ (pass-through) than on the EVO (side mount):
Stock OZ

EVO Shaft:

A note here, removing the evo plate was cake. Removing the OZ required drilling out the flimsy screws.

My question is how best to mount the butterfly plate to the OZ throttle bar. Either cut out a section to match the Evo style, OR widen the pass-through opening with a jig and small cutting wheel. Any opinions? I'm partial to cutting it to be like the original EVO bar. If I have any gaps in the garage machine work, would JB weld work to patch any potential vacuum leaks in the butterfly plate mount? And I'm definitely replacing the shaft seals while I'm at it.

Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey jwick if you need another IM let me know. I have one off an 03 for cheap. We can meet up somewhere if you want it.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slatermvp
hey jwick if you need another IM let me know. I have one off an 03 for cheap. We can meet up somewhere if you want it.
Definitely interested if RRM stops selling theres (as extrude honing quotes + powdercoating are $700...no worth it to me), but want to solve the TB situation first I'm having to redo my front struts and tophats due to the lovely MA roads, so I'm out $300 and a Saturday. And just did an alignment after replacing ball joints and end links. And I'm still strapped after the rims and tires I put on 2 months ago. Been a hell of a summer so far for money into the car. I've got a spare set of injectors I'm putting money aside for to send out and get cleaned, new seals, and flow tested...and looking into a new fuel rail setup. IM was going to be last on the list, and will probably go with RRM. Unless you know someone that ports cheap...I mean, I could grind the mounting plates on both sides myself, I was hoping for a more intense deep hone that extrude honing accomplishes http://boneheadperformance.com/extru...-hone-pricing/
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hit a wall

well, i've run into my first and main complication. The shaft diameter of the stock lancer is about a mm thinner than that of the stock evo. SO, i can't get a proper seal on the shaft seals, there's too much play. What i'm needing is a beefed up version of the stock evo seals that cover the gap, but milspec doesn't make anything that works (already PM'd).

Any ideas? The shaft diameter is 9.1mm, as opposed to the 10.15mm of the stock evo. If I can't get the shaft seals to work, this project is DOA for cruise control...

Any suggestions will be followed up on. I wish I could order stock shaft seals so I could check their diameters with the evo seals, but haven't been able to find stock shaft seals anywhere...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

well, i'm giving up. can't get the seals anywhere, and no one's custom making them. SO, conversion from stock to evo TB with cruise is done. Now I'm focusing on getting a nice shiny t6 aluminum TB, as I still have the evo sensors I can use. My only question is that the aftermarket ones don't have any vacuum leads to them at all. Specifically, the two vacuum connectors on the top of the picture below. How would I reroute these? Any ideas?

Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

After doing some more research into the EGR system, apparently vacuum E is the primary vacuum or initial vacuum that's before the butterfly valve, and vacuum port R is the secondary vacuum that's activated on butterfly movement. So E seems to be an easy relocate I can port in front of the TB, and R would be something I would either have to drill and port into the intake manifold right below the TB (which I'm not too thrilled at doing as I wouldn't be comfortable doing this without pulling the entire IM to avoid metal shavings getting into the engine) or I would have to drill and port the TB below the butterfly valve on the TB.

Should be interesting...

EDIT
Done with trying to mod the evo TB project, can't get seals for the stock OZ shaft to fit in the EVO TB, so this project's a no-go unless I find someone to make me a custom butterfly shaft. As I don't know any machinists that can do such a thing, I'm looking for other options.

Last edited by jwick76; Nov 20, 2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: done with this angle, letting viewers know.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Will a 4g64 TB off a 2003 Eclipse work?

I found this listing on ebay after thinking about eclipse TBs on my ride home from work tonight, wondering if they had cruise or not. It appears they do. Would the same wiring trick for the evo work, or do I need to worry about other issues? It looks to be at a funky angle, so I'm wondering if I need a custom mounting plate. Any help would be appreciated, I haven't given up on finding something that works for an intake mode, while keeping the cruise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-MITSUB...#ht_3803wt_940