Notices

Can u Frankenstein a TB?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can u Frankenstein a TB?

Okay, so I've been scouring the site for a while and have found stuff on phenolic spacers, fluted RRM throttle bodies (65mm), etc. Has anyone actually rebuilt their throttle body instead of dumping $$ on a brand new one/swapping with an evo and tuning? I was looking into some 70mm kits, but didn't know if this was overkill for a NA lancer...

The only schematic I found is this:

The 70mm kit I was looking at is one on ebay that's just the bare body, no sensors/lines/etc. This looks like it's a barebones kit, and you'd have to use a lot of the stock stuff.

My Questions:

1.) Can anyone provide or point me to a more detailed schematic of a TB breakdown, specifically regarding the cruise control assembly? I was wondering if I would be able to do a hybrid setup using stock lancer components and the larger tb. I've got the service manual, but it doesn't break down how to disassemble the cruise control piece. I had a shop dent this badly when installing my engine mounts, and am looking for a new housing for it...but didn't want to take it off until I knew what I was getting into. Or do I have to replace this entire cruise control assembly?

2.) Would I have to worry about the stock throttle cable at all? Didn't know if the larger TBs needed more of a pull and hence a sturdier cable...

3.)Based on what I've read so far, I have to worry about coolant lines, tb injector...but would the injector need to be upgraded with a larger bored TB?

I've found full tb setups anywhere from $480-$800 aftermarket to dealer. I'm looking into this for show & shine as well as any mild hp gains...but just wanted to get a feel for how much added work would be needed. I wanted to do the throttle body before I upgraded the intake manifold, as right now the IM isn't as much of an eyesore

And I know Senate's just thrown an evo tb in his OZ, so maybe he can chime in...

Last edited by jwick76; Aug 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

What I've found so far look to be total DIY setups, either needed to be welded to the intake manifold, or to have extensive mods done to them to make them streetable. I found some nice looking EVO setups, but didn't know if the TPS and other goodies mounted up the same to the throttle body.

Also, coolant lines. Found this nice little tidbit, which makes me think a frankenstein wouldn't work for a daily driver and would only be suitable for race:

Car: 05 EVO RS
Timeslip: 11.530 @ 123.37
Dynosheet: 452whp/362 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
Trader Rating: (1)

Throttle body coolant lines.
Question: Why does the EVO have coolant lines to the throttle body, and can I remove them as a free mod for more power?

Answer:

The DSM and EVO throttle bodies have two mechanical and one electric control of idle speed.

The electric control is the stepper motor controlled by the ECU that opens up a bit to raise idle, and closes to lower idle.

The first mechanical idle control is the Base Idle Set Screw (BISS) The BISS is a screw that blocks off a passage that allows airflow to bypass the throttle plate. You turn the screw out and more air bypasses the throttle plate raising your idle, turn the screw in and less air is bypassing the throttle plate and your idle goes down.

The second mechanical idle control is the Fast Idle Air Valve (FIAV) The FIAV is a plastic/wax plug that blocks off a passage that allows airflow to bypass the throttle plate. When this plug is cold is shrinks and blocks less of the air passage and more air bypasses the throttle plate raising your idle, as the coolant heats up, the plug gets warm and expands blocking more of the air passage so less air is bypassing the throttle plate and your idle goes down.

If you get ride of the coolant lines to the throttle body, the car will remain in "high idle mode" because the FIAV never warms up enough to expand blocking its air passage. If you live in a warm climate where a fast idle to warm up the engine is not that big of a deal you can bypass the lines if you like and the electric idle control combined with a one time BISS adjustment will have you idling fine. If you live in a cold climate you will need to make seasonal adjustments of the BISS for the car to idle correctly in each season because the electronic idle control will be out of its range of adjustment if you don’t compensate with the BISS.

The throttle body is heated by a combination of the coolant running through it, and by heat conducted up through the intake manifold from the head and into the throttle body. Any power gain from not heating up the throttle body with coolant is theoretical, and the throttle body may in fact be cooled by the coolant depending on how hot the intake manifold gets on our cars... I do not have data on that issue. No matter weather the coolant has any cooling affect after the intake manifold heats up or not, the air spends so little time in the throttle body at WOT that in my opinion the affect on power would be negligible to the point of being non-existent.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I'm looking to find a cheap used loaded throttle body to play around with, I'll follow-up with a write-up as I go. I figure I'm probably the only one trying to do this:-p Good times
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well demon is running a huge throttle body on his set up? so you are not complete alone.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slatermvp
well demon is running a huge throttle body on his set up? so you are not complete alone.
well he also does have a entire new intake manifold to go with it
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the mani will be next. Talking to tunerpros to get a quote on a phenolic spacer for it, then I'll probably hit that next year...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by link62
well he also does have a entire new intake manifold to go with it
That is true too, completely forgot about that.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

The largest tb that can be adapted is the evo 8/9 tb at 60mm, you completely ditch the lancer tb along with the cruise diaphram as it only fits the 4g94 and 4g93 tb's no other mitsu uses that style on that side of the tb..

you need to use the evo ISC and the tps , the tps needs to be wired to the correct colors of the lancer harness since the plugs are different , ISC plugs in and uses the same steps as the lancer

the mouth of the intake is too thin to port for anything bigger then 60mm and putting even a 60mm on without porting the intake defeats the whole purpose and it extremely ricer'ish, I had to tig weld 7 beads around the neck of mine to port it big enough to fit a mustang 75mm on until I can fab a manifold

Last edited by turbolancer02; Aug 19, 2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

ah, so larger than 60mm and you need to start looking at a custom mani? Alright, good to know. WHat size injector would you use, the evo 8/9 tbi, or do you need to get something custom with a 60mm?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Turbolancer sure knows knows a thing or two about throttle bodies. Seeing as how he stole one from me! This guy is a joke. Yea thats right! Im going to follow you to every post you make and let everyone on here know that you are a thief and you take peoples money and parts and dont make good on your promises!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vince_w2004
Turbolancer sure knows knows a thing or two about throttle bodies. Seeing as how he stole one from me! This guy is a joke. Yea thats right! Im going to follow you to every post you make and let everyone on here know that you are a thief and you take peoples money and parts and dont make good on your promises!
please don't soil someone in threads, it's not mature and should be handled in PM's.

Just FYI, I've worked with Turbolancer, sent him about 300 bucks so far, and have been 100% happy.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

I wish i could say the same. He took my Throttle Body in Trade for a 3" Catco Race Cat and 6 months later he sent me a $30 CannaMex Thunderbolt. I am posting on his threads because I want people to know not to buy things from him. He has been screwing people out of there money on here.

And if he would answer my PM's or my emails then I would have to go to such lenghts to soil his reputation.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

um, okay guy, don't hijack my thread please? If you're pissed at the dude, go **** on him somewhere else.

Give him a horrible sales rating or something.

SO, back on topic, I've been trying to figure out how to maximize the throttle body bore while keeping my vacuum lines for cruise control (can't live without it). Haven't found an aftermarket solution that works other than the RRM fluted TB. Anyone experiment with other TBs from Evos/Eclipses? What would this require via ecuflash?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

So, I was thinking about this whole deal, and are you trying to increase the throttle body because you're just maxed out as far as how much air you can push through? I am thinking about taking my TB off, and polishing it up, along with knife edging the butterfly valve. Have you done anything like that yet, or do you need to go bigger?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Demon is running a larger TB made for the Evo, but the custom intake mani was flanged for it.

Also, you can use the Lancer TPS on an Evo TB if you can make a custom mount for it. It will work and read correctly when rotated 90º in comparison to the Evo TPS. But, there are just no bolt holes there ... lol.

Quick Reply: Can u Frankenstein a TB?