Notices

ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HornstarBU
It makes me nervous too...If it were me I wouldn't flash until knowing why I can't read. The missing list makes me think it's a software problem, like some sort of configs missing that were there before. Let me do some digging, and try to re-create the problem on my car/computer by deleting some files...brb
Alright bro, yeah let me know im doing some searching as well. And i deff did read my rom image before with version 1.29 i remember now, thinking back i downloaded 1.41 but it wouldnt read the ecu because it didnt support my tactrix cable (1.3U) so i had to download 1.29! and i think as soon as i downloaded ecuflash, i dont think i had the definition files downloaded, i think i hit "read from ecu" and a list poped up of different mitsu's and subi's and i selected a mitsubishi evo 2003-2005 (evo 8) since there was no option for a lancer! So yeah im guessing it must be a software issue! if you discover something LMK!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Alright bro, yeah let me know im doing some searching as well. And i deff did read my rom image before with version 1.29 i remember now, thinking back i downloaded 1.41 but it wouldnt read the ecu because it didnt support my tactrix cable (1.3U) so i had to download 1.29! and i think as soon as i downloaded ecuflash, i dont think i had the definition files downloaded, i think i hit "read from ecu" and a list poped up of different mitsu's and subi's and i selected a mitsubishi evo 2003-2005 (evo 8) since there was no option for a lancer! So yeah im guessing it must be a software issue! if you discover something LMK!
It's the "read templates" I think. I was able to re-create the problem by selecting a deeper directory for rommetadata. Try going to C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\read templates\ and then copy all those files into where ever your rommetadata folder is set to in ecuflash. Restart ecuflash, and try again. let me know.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it has to be a read templates issue, as that's where that list pulls from.

And, Kid, you can always get another Lancer ROM to flash to your car. There are several posted here. Since the Lancer doesn't use the Immobilizer code, you can load any ROM from another Lancer in that model and it will be fine. Since you have the definitions, that means that Senate should have the ROM that matches and could likely provide it for you.

On the EvoX issues ... that is all there is to it. You get the XML for your ROM ID that gives you the Mode23 values to change ... change them and flash the car ... load EvoScan ... select Open Port 2.0 in the left area and Mode 23 in the middle area (pull down). Then select what you want to log and go.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

It's the "read templates" I think. I was able to re-create the problem by selecting a deeper directory for rommetadata. Try going to C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\read templates\ and then copy all those files into where ever your rommetadata folder is set to in ecuflash. Restart ecuflash, and try again. let me know.
Great find!! Awesome, i get out of work at 7 today unfortunatly, but ill deff give this a shot! So i take all the information that says like "readlancer" "readevo7" etc, that are XML files and take them out of the read template folder and put them into the rommetadata folder?

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Yes, it has to be a read templates issue, as that's where that list pulls from.

And, Kid, you can always get another Lancer ROM to flash to your car. There are several posted here. Since the Lancer doesn't use the Immobilizer code, you can load any ROM from another Lancer in that model and it will be fine. Since you have the definitions, that means that Senate should have the ROM that matches and could likely provide it for you.

On the EvoX issues ... that is all there is to it. You get the XML for your ROM ID that gives you the Mode23 values to change ... change them and flash the car ... load EvoScan ... select Open Port 2.0 in the left area and Mode 23 in the middle area (pull down). Then select what you want to log and go.
Ok cool that makes me feel better about flashing the evo rom into the lancer ecu. If i can correct the "read from ecu" tonite im deff going to flash the evo rom into the lancer ecu and ill keep you guys updated!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

The directory in ecuflash for metadata is : C:/Program Files/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/mitsubishi/lancer so i take the xml files from the "readtemplets" folder and just copy them into the "lancer folder"? am i understanding right?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

The directory in ecuflash for metadata is : C:/Program Files/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/mitsubishi/lancer so i take the xml files from the "readtemplets" folder and just copy them into the "lancer folder"? am i understanding right?
yeah, I think that may be the issue, because that is how i replicated the issue on my pc....added /mitsubishi/lancer to the end of my rommetadata path. I wish there was a separate setting for read templates, but c'est la vie.

Good luck at 7 this evening, and i'll be on at that time to hear the good news.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, I think that may be the issue, because that is how i replicated the issue on my pc....added /mitsubishi/lancer to the end of my rommetadata path. I wish there was a separate setting for read templates, but c'est la vie.

Awesome bro, ill keep you updated!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Hey man! Good news! i was able to move the files around and i saved my stock rom! I uploaded the evo rom to the lancer ecu! It took like 4 mins! After it uploaded i got scared cuz i tried to start it and it wouldnt start!!! But i gave it some gas and it starts up...hmm...is there something i have to adjust in order for me not to hit the gas when starting up the car?? LMK guys!! This is the time i need the help! Here is the log after it started i let it idle for a good 5 min or so! LMK what i can do about the car starting up!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
EVO LOG 1.zip (31.1 KB, 0 views)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the a log, not really getting any knock at all until about 4,500+ WOT wich i can tune out, the AFR is a little lean up top and timing is really advanced...pulls hella good tho!! The evo settings on the knock sensor are weird tho..if you hit decent size bumps it like freaks out and tells you that you have knocks...up to three if you nail like a sewer or somethin..lol. Aside from that the evo ecu is def the way to go, its helping major! I just need to figure out why the car cant start on its own! i have to pump the gas while turning the ignition
Attached Files
File Type: zip
evo pull 5.zip (7.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the a log, not really getting any knock at all until about 4,500+ WOT wich i can tune out, the AFR is a little lean up top and timing is really advanced...pulls hella good tho!! The evo settings on the knock sensor are weird tho..if you hit decent size bumps it like freaks out and tells you that you have knocks...up to three if you nail like a sewer or somethin..lol. Aside from that the evo ecu is def the way to go, its helping major! I just need to figure out why the car cant start on its own! i have to pump the gas while turning the ignition
Well, that's excellent news dude! About the not starting, did you transfer everything over, idle settings, maf settings, everything that has to do with that thread you got the rom from?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Copy over the knock sensor settings too ...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Well, that's excellent news dude! About the not starting, did you transfer everything over, idle settings, maf settings, everything that has to do with that thread you got the rom from?
idle settings..nope..lol idles at 750 tho but ill make sure there set the same..MAF settings only some were the same, the smoothing settings were different, and the sensor filtering was like off by like 49k lol screen print below!

EDIT*** i just noticed the MAF settings must be the same...one is just in hertz so they look different! I think the car not starting has to do with the injector cranking or something??

Copy over the knock sensor settings too ...
Simple enough!

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 11, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

These settings here are what i was talking to, as maybe why the car wont start up without me having to press the gas pedal??

any of you guys have an idea of what these settings should be?? heres an image of the current settings..

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 11, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure on the IPW cranking settings for the Lancer. Not sure they were ever mapped for the base ROMs. I'd say just move the values in your current coolant temperature range to see if it gets better or worse ... I'd start by moving the values down. Small changes do a lot in that map on the lower half, so make small changes. It's going to be trial and error.

Another thing to consider ... is it difficult to start when cold and warm, or just cold? If it's consistently difficult to start, it's likely more of a global value and not one that's temp scaled like the startup IPW.

And yes, the MAF values are the same even though the scale in the graph says somethign different. They are both 8-bit values and use the same formula, so they'll generate the same values on the graph.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure on the IPW cranking settings for the Lancer. Not sure they were ever mapped for the base ROMs. I'd say just move the values in your current coolant temperature range to see if it gets better or worse ... I'd start by moving the values down. Small changes do a lot in that map on the lower half, so make small changes. It's going to be trial and error.

Another thing to consider ... is it difficult to start when cold and warm, or just cold? If it's consistently difficult to start, it's likely more of a global value and not one that's temp scaled like the startup IPW.

And yes, the MAF values are the same even though the scale in the graph says somethign different. They are both 8-bit values and use the same formula, so they'll generate the same values on the graph.
Ok cool. well i just tested it right now, the car is complety cold its been off for about 4 hours or so and its about 57 degrees out. It started up in 5 cranks withought giving it gas. When the car is warm though i need to pump the gas while turning the key to get it to start! So i slowly lower the values in the "initial cranking IPW vs coolant temp?

Quick Reply: ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread