Notices

ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HornstarBU
did you watch the ecuflash tutorial videos? they are pretty helpful as far as walking your through like, everything involved.

as far as the problem with the column values, there is probably something wrong in one of those definition files. Each of those files says "this item" is located at "this location" with "these settings", so if part of that lil fake statement i just made is incorrect, it'll lookup the values in the wrong spot or wrong scaling. click one of those boxes, and select the edit menu thing, and say edit definitions or whatever, at the very bottom of the menu, and take a screenshot of the scalings.

I did review those vids, im watching them now as well haha but im not sure what part of the file is wrong here are some shots bro

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 4, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Any idea on whats wrong with the picture? haha
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try switching the "data endian" value for those addresses. Looks like they are all marked as "big" in your screenshot. If the data is goofed up, change it to "little."
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Try switching the "data endian" value for those addresses. Looks like they are all marked as "big" in your screenshot. If the data is goofed up, change it to "little."
Your the man!! That fixed all of them and they are all labeled correctly now! Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

So i started adjusting the low/high octane fuel maps by scaling them. I havent flashed it back to the ECU or anything, just getting a feel for ECUflash. Would it be ok to flash only the fuel maps back to the ECU that i scaled and start doing logs? or should i leave everything in ecuflash alone and do logging?

Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

There is one weird thing with the Lancers that you need to know ... many of them run primarily from the Low Octane maps. No clue why. Test it and see. And easy test would be to pull a bunch of timing at idle in one map and not the other and see what the car does in the logs.

Yes, you can just flash those minor changes back to the ECU. ECUFlash will only write the data blocks that have changed, so only the fuel maps, and other data in that "block" of the ROM will be written.

Changing the endian values will have no effect on the ROM as that is just for display of the maps on the PC.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

There is one weird thing with the Lancers that you need to know ... many of them run primarily from the Low Octane maps. No clue why. Test it and see. And easy test would be to pull a bunch of timing at idle in one map and not the other and see what the car does in the logs.

Yes, you can just flash those minor changes back to the ECU. ECUFlash will only write the data blocks that have changed, so only the fuel maps, and other data in that "block" of the ROM will be written.

Changing the endian values will have no effect on the ROM as that is just for display of the maps on the PC.
Really?? I thought the lancers only ran off of the high octane maps...haha i must have gotten that part confused, thats why i scaled both the maps. So your saying i could try to pull timing at idle and see what one works? Is one map for open loop and one for closed loop or something like that? Your a huge help man thank you. Im also going to wire up my AEM wideband to my rear 02 sensor today so i can logg it with Evoscan.

Also my STFT or 02 sensor feedback is pegged at 24.80 all the time. and my LTFT high never moves from zero...is this normal? My aem when fully warm at idle car reads from 14.7 through 15.2 it moves back and forth slowly, When cruising it sweeps from 14.4 through 15.6 back and forth, when i decel it reads all the way lean, when i accel medium to hard it reads 11.2 then back up to the sweeping 14.4-15.6 sweeping. Is this normal?

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 5, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

The way the maps SHOULD work is this ...

The ECU references the high octane maps when there is <3 knock count. When there is 3+ knock, the ECU pulls timing from the high octane map. If there is 6+ knock count, the ECU begins to interpolate the low octane maps values in with the high octane map values. the higher the knock, the lower the "octane" value and the more the interpolation with the low octane maps.

I have logged several Lancers that ran only on the maps marked low octane for fuel and timing. I even modified mt ROM data for a couple of them to "correct" it, but was told later that the disassembly was correct and the car really did run on the low octane maps. I believe I was also told that the Lancer never references the high octane maps, even under significant knock (which would happen if they were simply named incorrectly) ... but don't quote me on that.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

The way the maps SHOULD work is this ...

The ECU references the high octane maps when there is <3 knock count. When there is 3+ knock, the ECU pulls timing from the high octane map. If there is 6+ knock count, the ECU begins to interpolate the low octane maps values in with the high octane map values. the higher the knock, the lower the "octane" value and the more the interpolation with the low octane maps.

I have logged several Lancers that ran only on the maps marked low octane for fuel and timing. I even modified mt ROM data for a couple of them to "correct" it, but was told later that the disassembly was correct and the car really did run on the low octane maps. I believe I was also told that the Lancer never references the high octane maps, even under significant knock (which would happen if they were simply named incorrectly) ... but don't quote me on that.

Ok cool i understand that. So it wouldnt hurt to have both the high octane and the low octane maps the way they are in the screen shot above right? Since if it might only work on the low octane map having the high octane map adjusted and scaled shoulnt make a difference right?

Also my STFT or 02 sensor feedback is pegged at 24.80 all the time. and my LTFT high never moves from zero...is this normal? My aem when fully warm at idle car reads from 14.7 through 15.2 it moves back and forth slowly, When cruising it sweeps from 14.4 through 15.6 back and forth, when i decel it reads all the way lean, when i accel medium to hard it reads 11.2 then slowly back up to the sweeping 14.4-15.6 sweeping. Is this normal?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

The High LTFT should be 0, yes. It will only move to correct in a closed loop situation with intake flow above 500hz I believe, which would be in boost and therefore in open loop. your LTFT Low and Mid trims should not be 0 and the O2 feedback should bounce around between -5 and 5.

Your WB should read between 14.5 and 15.2 at idle and light cruise. At WOT at any time you should be around 11.0 to 11.6 or so. You don't want to be above 12 or below 10 as that's where you really increase the chance of knock on pump fuel. When you let off the throttle (engine braking) there will be pure air in the system, so the sensor will peg to one side or read "02" maybe ... I don't deal with the AEM sensors much.

Oh, and I would still verify which map is being used, set it accordingly and then make the other map tamer as a backup, just in case.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

The High LTFT should be 0, yes. It will only move to correct in a closed loop situation with intake flow above 500hz I believe, which would be in boost and therefore in open loop. your LTFT Low and Mid trims should not be 0 and the O2 feedback should bounce around between -5 and 5.

Your WB should read between 14.5 and 15.2 at idle and light cruise. At WOT at any time you should be around 11.0 to 11.6 or so. You don't want to be above 12 or below 10 as that's where you really increase the chance of knock on pump fuel. When you let off the throttle (engine braking) there will be pure air in the system, so the sensor will peg to one side or read "02" maybe ... I don't deal with the AEM sensors much.

Oh, and I would still verify which map is being used, set it accordingly and then make the other map tamer as a backup, just in case.
Cool awesome information here! I will verify today after work what map is being used. So if my STFT is 24.80 all the time..is my front 02 sensor bad? But if it were to be bad...hows my wideband reading correctly? Whats would cause a reading this high?!?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Touring does this still apply with someone like me who has a tephra evo rom flashed in? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to check myself but want to run it by you.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Cool awesome information here! I will verify today after work what map is being used. So if my STFT is 24.80 all the time..is my front 02 sensor bad? But if it were to be bad...hows my wideband reading correctly? Whats would cause a reading this high?!?
No, it doens't mean it's bad. If the O2 is bad, the Front O2 reading from EvoScan would hang on a specific value in closed loop most likely. Exhaust/intake leaks, modified MAF, different or clogged injectors can cause the fuel trims to be off.

Originally Posted by 03lances
So Touring does this still apply with someone like me who has a tephra evo rom flashed in? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to check myself but want to run it by you.
No. If you're not using an OEM base ROM, this most likely does not apply. The Tephra Evo ROM should work just like it does on the Evo. The Tephra/RoadSpike ROM for the auto Lancer should also work as intended, but I can't be 100% on that. I'll know Thursday when I tune Daniel's beast.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

No, it doens't mean it's bad. If the O2 is bad, the Front O2 reading from EvoScan would hang on a specific value in closed loop most likely. Exhaust/intake leaks, modified MAF, different or clogged injectors can cause the fuel trims to be off.
It does stay at 24.80 all the time, ill logg tonite and just make sure, as well as test to see what map the car reads off of, by pulling timing at idle right? will that mess/ hurt my car? like how many degrees would i be able to do

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
It does stay at 24.80 all the time, ill logg tonite and just make sure, as well as test to see what map the car reads off of, by pulling timing at idle right? will that mess/ hurt my car? like how many degrees would i be able to do
The O2 SENSOR will stay at a reading ... I'm not talking about the O2 feedback trim. The actual sensor voltage. What are your low and mid LTFTs reading?

No, pulling timing at idle won't hurt the car ... it'll just make it run like crap. Set it to -5º in the idle area to test ... that should be fine. And, if you are worried, I'd suggest setting the high octane map to -5º. If I'm right, then it won't change how the car idles at all.

Quick Reply: ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread