Notices

ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringBubble
The O2 SENSOR will stay at a reading ... I'm not talking about the O2 feedback trim. The actual sensor voltage. What are your low and mid LTFTs reading?

No, pulling timing at idle won't hurt the car ... it'll just make it run like crap. Set it to -5º in the idle area to test ... that should be fine. And, if you are worried, I'd suggest setting the high octane map to -5º. If I'm right, then it won't change how the car idles at all.
Will do bro!!

LTFT LOW: 6.0
LTFT MID: 7.6
LTFT HIGH: 0
STFT (02 SENSOR) 24.80

Are these ok, stock injectors and scaling
Old Oct 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Couple of new updated questions!

1)-took some logs today but i cant seem to open them up with excel, do i need a newer version than 2003?

2)"-5" degree timing in the high octane map had no effect on idle, so i shouldnt touch the high octane map when tuning right?

3)- I want to be able to logg my AEM wideband with evoscan, all i do is connect the output wire from the wideband and splice it into the rear 02 sensor wire off of the ECU? does it make a difference if the 02 sensor i have in the rear is not plugged in at all? when i was a newb i actually cut the wires so i have a code for low voltage rear 02 sensor circut blah blah, will this matter?

4)-It seems my car never leaves 14.5-15.2 even when hard accelerating, and my airflow hz are higher than 500hz is my car not switching into open loop or something? or is it closed loop that its suppost to switch into? My car only runs rich (displayed on WB02 as 11.2-11.5) when the car is cold, prob cuz the sensor hasnt warmed up yet...not sure what to think of this? This lean AFR and having timing advanced too much is causing my 10 counts of knock im sure..

5)Once i figure out how to see my logs in excel ill post them up, but i was generally seeing knocks of 3 and higher at 5 psi at
80-99%load 3k,4k,and 5k hit 10. the timing when it hit 10 counts of knock was 8, but when i went into ecuflash and looked at the low octane map the timing was different from what evoscan displayed and what the map read at that load/rpm. How do i make the most accurate changes then?

6) this is really fun doing these logs and learning how to tune! I really appreciate all the help from you guys on this forum! I just get super nervous to drive it when its knockin and when i accelerate the ARF does not get richer, it makes me scared to log data!

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 6, 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Couple of new updated questions!

1)-took some logs today but i cant seem to open them up with excel, do i need a newer version than 2003? No, you shouldn't. Try to right-click and use the "open with" command.

2)"-5" degree timing in the high octane map had no effect on idle, so i shouldnt touch the high octane map when tuning right? Correct. You're running on the map marked Low Octane.

3)- I want to be able to logg my AEM wideband with evoscan, all i do is connect the output wire from the wideband and splice it into the rear 02 sensor wire off of the ECU? does it make a difference if the 02 sensor i have in the rear is not plugged in at all? when i was a newb i actually cut the wires so i have a code for low voltage rear 02 sensor circut blah blah, will this matter? You will have to disable the heater check for that sensor using the periphery bits. Search the ECUFlash forum for that info. It's universal for all Mitsus, so the Evo code will work. I believe you also have to modify the definitions in EvoScan to read the O2 signal correctly,and you may also need to modify your ROM. I'm not certain. The thread in the ECUFlash forum should tell you.

4)-It seems my car never leaves 14.5-15.2 even when hard accelerating, and my airflow hz are higher than 500hz is my car not switching into open loop or something? or is it closed loop that its suppost to switch into? My car only runs rich (displayed on WB02 as 11.2-11.5) when the car is cold, prob cuz the sensor hasnt warmed up yet...not sure what to think of this? This lean AFR and having timing advanced too much is causing my 10 counts of knock im sure.. You can see the switch to open loop in the logs ... the O2 feedback will drop to 0 and stay there in open loop. The car starts in open loop and stays there for a couple of minutes, so that's why you see the 11's at startup. Yes, it's for warmup ... for the O2 sensor and coolant and cat mainly. Yes, running that lean will cause knock.

5)Once i figure out how to see my logs in excel ill post them up, but i was generally seeing knocks of 3 and higher at 5 psi at
80-99%load 3k,4k,and 5k hit 10. the timing when it hit 10 counts of knock was 8, but when i went into ecuflash and looked at the low octane map the timing was different from what evoscan displayed and what the map read at that load/rpm. How do i make the most accurate changes then? If you have knock, the ECU is pulling timing, so the logs will reflect that modified timing value.

6) this is really fun doing these logs and learning how to tune! I really appreciate all the help from you guys on this forum! I just get super nervous to drive it when its knockin and when i accelerate the ARF does not get richer, it makes me scared to log data! then add fuel. =)
answered above.

Also, there is a problem with the Lancer ROM and boost that makes the load and injectors stop responding after a certain point. RoadSpike found the issues and corrected them. Look in the "Evo 8 ROM works for Lancer" thread. Should be on the first page.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Oct 6, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Will do bro!!

LTFT LOW: 6.0
LTFT MID: 7.6
LTFT HIGH: 0
STFT (02 SENSOR) 24.80

Are these ok, stock injectors and scaling
I'd bump the injector size down by like 2 increments.

As you drive, the LTFTs should change (every 4 min or so), and as they do the O2 feedback should drop. These will reset if you remove power from the car, or sometimes when you flash, depending on the model.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

answered above.

Also, there is a problem with the Lancer ROM and boost that makes the load and injectors stop responding after a certain point. RoadSpike found the issues and corrected them. Look in the "Evo 8 ROM works for Lancer" thread. Should be on the first page.
Awesome man!! you have like all the answers i need! Dude i really appreciate all this help! ill check out the evo rom thread...i dont think i can use an evo rom, or install one because im auto trans! Will i have to log the wideband using a serial port of some kind or something? Ill post my logs up tonite after work so you can look at them and let me know what you think! This tuning stuff is exciting! How do i add fuel? To the whole map, or do i add fuel after 2500 and up when i start seeing knock

I'd bump the injector size down by like 2 increments.

As you drive, the LTFTs should change (every 4 min or so), and as they do the O2 feedback should drop. These will reset if you remove power from the car, or sometimes when you flash, depending on the model.
The injector scaling size? and i think it did reset something when i flashed the car had low idle for a good couple min, then after that it was fine. I did notice at one point the STFT (o2 sensor feedback) was at 0.1 when i was WOT then at idle i looked and it was 25.80 again

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 6, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

RoadSpike has a Tephra patched Evo ROM set up for the auto Lancer. It's what we're using for Daniel's (Demoni2) car. It's in that same thread.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

RoadSpike has a Tephra patched Evo ROM set up for the auto Lancer. It's what we're using for Daniel's (Demoni2) car. It's in that same thread.
Ill look it up bro! Thanks man! Also, should i rescale my timing map the same way i did for my low octane map? Also whats a tephra rom? ill search for the thread!

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 6, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Tephra is a user on the forums here that modified the Evo ROM to do some cool stuff, like make the CEL flash when there is knock and allow for map switching and such. You can use those mods on the Lancer as well. If you use that ROM you won't need to worry about the map scaling. The Tephra ROM has them all scaled to 320 I think.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Tephra is a user on the forums here that modified the Evo ROM to do some cool stuff, like make the CEL flash when there is knock and allow for map switching and such. You can use those mods on the Lancer as well. If you use that ROM you won't need to worry about the map scaling. The Tephra ROM has them all scaled to 320 I think.

Damn..thats alot of extra boxes hahaha...so is it the thread "evo 8 rom can be flashed to lancer" or is it the "tephra v7" thread??
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

the one here. in the Lancer forum.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

the one here. in the Lancer forum.
reading it now! very interesting! im deff going to be doing this.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

So did i do this right?

stock ROM:

evo7 rom auto trans:

Can i simply flash this to my car and be ok and tune on the new evo7 maps?

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Oct 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I suggest using the ROM that RoadSpike put together ... it's linked toward the end of the thread. It's hosted on my server, but I can't get to my FTP from work.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

I suggest using the ROM that RoadSpike put together ... it's linked toward the end of the thread. It's hosted on my server, but I can't get to my FTP from work.
Oh ok, i havnt got that far yet im still reading the post. Ill take a look!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm still sort of confused on how to do this... Maybe i should stick with the stock lancer ROM and just tune that? After reading all 40 pages today im still unsure on how to re-write my lancer ecu with the evo one that works with auto trans, theres alot of lingo in there i dont understand

Quick Reply: ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread