Notices

lo octane map question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
lo octane map question

hey my lo octane map is a little higher than my high octane in some portions

the car runs off the high octane from what I read so is it safe to high light the whole lo octane map and lower the timing 1-3 degrees to prevent knock?

I get 8 counts up to a certain point in gears when I do a pull at 3rd gear I get no knocks

when im in 2nd gear thats when I get knock counts

Or is it better to work with the high octane map and leave the lo alone?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on the definitions you're using, many Lancers actually run on the Low Octane maps. I have no idea why. The guys that disassembled the ROMs verified that the maps are labeled correctly, but most Lancers I've tuned run only from the Low Octane maps. I haven't verified that they use the maps labeled High Octane under severe knock conditions (meaning the maps are switched).
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Depending on the definitions you're using, many Lancers actually run on the Low Octane maps. I have no idea why. The guys that disassembled the ROMs verified that the maps are labeled correctly, but most Lancers I've tuned run only from the Low Octane maps. I haven't verified that they use the maps labeled High Octane under severe knock conditions (meaning the maps are switched).

Im running on the tephra right now, and on my way home I decided to log some stuff. I got knocks up to 14!!! and I did a WOT so I can get acurate knocksand take care of that so I dont run into problems. I was told that our cars run off the high octane and uses the low octane for knocks.

Here is a log so you can see what im talking about I got the knocks around 4k at 11psi and got some backfire
Attached Files
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

If you're using the Tephra patch, then you are correct. I'm talking about the base Lancer maps.

Looking at your map, I don't see any obvious issues. But, there is no wideband data, so I can't really speak to the fuel settings. you could be running too rich or lean and too little timing, which can cause knock. But, knock, even a 14 count, shouldn't cause an actual backfire. You should feel the car "miss" and likely hear the knock (like someone tapping on the firewall).

It sounds like fuel cut, but there is no other evidence of that in the log. What is your fuel cut value and time?

Last edited by TouringBubble; Oct 5, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
If you're using the Tephra patch, then you are correct. I'm talking about the base Lancer maps.

Looking at your map, I don't see any obvious issues. But, there is no wideband data, so I can't really speak to the fuel settings. you could be running too rich or lean and too little timing, which can cause knock. But, knock, even a 14 count, shouldn't cause an actual backfire. You should feel the car "miss" and likely hear the knock (like someone tapping on the firewall).

It sounds like fuel cut, but there is no other evidence of that in the log. What is your fuel cut value and time?
im not sure I left prety much everything stock from the tephra patch the only thing that was messed with was the periphery's, injector scaling and latency, hgh octane map, and high octane ignition. I added a usb extender which has been messing with my wideband logging but if I need to log again I will and post up another log. but im running about 11.1-11.5 in afrs when in that high of boost
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how would i know if my lancer is running on low octane then?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ClixT
so how would i know if my lancer is running on low octane then?

Tourning told me to find out if your on the low octane map, pull a bunch of timing at idle and see if the car reacts, if it does, your using the low octane map! You can also test this by pulling alot of timing at idle on the high octane map, if it does not respond to the pulled timing then your not using the high octane map, so you must be using the low octane map
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Tourning told me to find out if your on the low octane map, pull a bunch of timing at idle and see if the car reacts, if it does, your using the low octane map! You can also test this by pulling alot of timing at idle on the high octane map, if it does not respond to the pulled timing then your not using the high octane map, so you must be using the low octane map
awesome, thanks man
does this applies to both timing and afr maps?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Test the timing map ... the fuel map will match it. You won't be on High on one and Low on the other.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

so how much timing should i pull?
does pulling 5 enough?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to dig this up, but I logged my lancer on the base ROM, and I am fairly sure the low octane fuel map is in use, but the values logged for timing seem to match whatever is in the high octane timing map...anyone else see this? I've just set the 2 the same for now, but will test more tomorrow, I guess the pulling timing thing makes sense, but isn't logging and seeing what timing is at specific spots more accurate a test??