Notices

Important Front 02 sensor question!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Important Front 02 sensor question!

Hey guys,

I noticed recently that when logging my car at idle, my 02 sensor voltage is zero at idle, and only when im on the gas or rev it does it report back voltage...maybe this is where i keep getting the "02 sensor curcuit no activity bank one sensor one" code?? Also if i let the car idle for maybe 3 min or so, just idle, it will bog for a second like it just got super rich, but the wideband goes super lean and the 02 sensor feedback(STFT) stays at 5.25% when usually it gets to 25.80% and stays there, then when im driving it changes, and when i get to open loop it records "0%" wich i think is normal in open loop right? Also when this "burp" occurs timing reads normal but the "AFR MAP" in evoscan reads 13.12-13.96 AFR when normally at idle it will read 14.7. Then after i rev the car and the idle gets to normal again, everything reads normal, wideband is at 14.3-15.2, "AFR MAP" in evoscan reads 14.7 and the 02 sensor feedback(STFT) is at 25.80% So do i have a bad 02 sensor or something? Is this whats causing the car to "burp" at idle?? Help me out guys Also this only happens when the car is at fully warm temp

P.S. when i recently took out the 02 sensor when i took apart my turbo it was black, like very very black, i think its from the oil that the turbo is burning through the hotside.. when i was N/A the sensor whats pretty white/ tan, if oil saturated the 02 sensor will this kill the 02 sensor or interfeer with the readings??

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Nov 4, 2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Yes...

Ok, joking partly, but yes to your last comment. Excessive oil like that will torch the o2 sensor, ruin it, whatever.

Also, my car reads O2 feedback trim at 0 when I'm in openloop. I don't think you ever want it stuck at 25%, because that might be the max it can read, ie something is wrong with it. Post a evoscan log of idling, then driving normal, just for grins and I'll compare it to mine.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Yes...

Ok, joking partly, but yes to your last comment. Excessive oil like that will torch the o2 sensor, ruin it, whatever.

Also, my car reads O2 feedback trim at 0 when I'm in openloop. I don't think you ever want it stuck at 25%, because that might be the max it can read, ie something is wrong with it. Post a evoscan log of idling, then driving normal, just for grins and I'll compare it to mine.
Haha ok, i just went and got a new front 02 sensor so when i put in my other turbo, ill install the new one! Here are some logs bro. One of them is a quick pull, the other log is a log from fully cold idle to warm idle, also logged me just cruisin to pick up my 02 sensor. Let me know what u think man
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Blown_pull.zip (3.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip
idle_cruise.zip (16.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Well damn, everything looks alright to me. Can you log your wideband AFR's? It's hard to tell but it looks like it's reading properly, when comparing to mine. I have no idea what the burp could be, have you recently unplugged your battery or flashed a new ROM that might cause the ECU to be in "learn" mode? I get scared every so often after I do some work on the car, and then it runs like **** when i'm idling at the stoplight down the street I'm like "F*!@&*$, I did something and it's messed up" but it never has been.

Also, you tested for a boost leak, and what does your vacuum read at idle?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Well damn, everything looks alright to me. Can you log your wideband AFR's? It's hard to tell but it looks like it's reading properly, when comparing to mine. I have no idea what the burp could be, have you recently unplugged your battery or flashed a new ROM that might cause the ECU to be in "learn" mode? I get scared every so often after I do some work on the car, and then it runs like **** when i'm idling at the stoplight down the street I'm like "F*!@&*$, I did something and it's messed up" but it never has been.

Also, you tested for a boost leak, and what does your vacuum read at idle?
My vac reads 19-20, i prob have a slight leak somewhere. And i did re-flash the rom, did some changes to the timing and fuel tables and flashed the car. Yeah i need to wire the wideband from my rear 02 sensor somehow so evoscan can log it. Its weird man like after i flashed the car, driving around for about 10-12 min of driving the wideband would be lean at like 17.3 or so cruising, at idle it would be so lean it would not display (18+AFR) then after 12 min or so the car suddenly read normal (14.3-15.2 AFR) cruising, it idle it was 14.5-15.1 ARF. Its just strange to me that the 02 sensor voltage will read "X amount of volts" at idle every now and then, and sometimes it will just be 0. I think im going to see what happens with the new front 02 sensor after this weekend install. I have a long weekend of cleaning to do My intercooler is filled with oil, and all my IC pipes and BOV as well... im goin to need lots of gas haha
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Well yuck to that, but at least you are going to get those problems resolved....gotta stay positive. I think that it is weird that you say it throws a CEL with "no o2 activity", so that may be an indication the thing is bad, but it's normal to be a little boggy and bad at idle for at least the first 15 minutes or so after an ECU reset or a tephra flash (normal lancer doesn't seem to need to relearn after reflash). You have some sort of hybrid ROM with your auto, so I don't even know what to say, lol...just give it 15 minutes and see if the idle evens out. Let it idle for a few right after you flash too, that seems to help mine learn quicker when i reset it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Well yuck to that, but at least you are going to get those problems resolved....gotta stay positive. I think that it is weird that you say it throws a CEL with "no o2 activity", so that may be an indication the thing is bad, but it's normal to be a little boggy and bad at idle for at least the first 15 minutes or so after an ECU reset or a tephra flash (normal lancer doesn't seem to need to relearn after reflash). You have some sort of hybrid ROM with your auto, so I don't even know what to say, lol...just give it 15 minutes and see if the idle evens out. Let it idle for a few right after you flash too, that seems to help mine learn quicker when i reset it.

Hybrid ROM? what do you mean? haha yeah i always let it idle for atleast 5 min after a flash
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Hybrid ROM? what do you mean? haha yeah i always let it idle for atleast 5 min after a flash
You know, that auto lancer/Evo7GTA/Tephra hybrid thingie you've got goin on. Roadspike and those guys really outdid themselves on that btw....all that testing and learning and writing, and editing....just a lotta good stuff there. It's people like that who make this the best community for lancers, at least 1 bar above the rest.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

You know, that auto lancer/Evo7GTA/Tephra hybrid thingie you've got goin on. Roadspike and those guys really outdid themselves on that btw....all that testing and learning and writing, and editing....just a lotta good stuff there. It's people like that who make this the best community for lancers, at least 1 bar above the rest.
Oh yeah man deff awesome, a really big breakthrough! Im really happy someone figured it out! haha Ill update back sat night, post some more logs! Hopfully its only the 02 sensor thats messed up!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ok I think I got my fuel map fixed.

send me your map

stephen12211@yahoo.com
Old Nov 4, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^ Just sent the ROM to you steven
Old Nov 5, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

FYI, I started getting the code P0134 and P0171, one is "too lean" and the other is "o2 no activity bank1" so I think I have a similar situation to you. I run real rich while the car warms up, and then eventually it seems to idle well and oscillate around 14.7....but every so often it runs really rich at idle. Maybe we have exhaust leaks....

*edit* or boost leaks....I presurized my intake to about 15psi and now I have these 2 codes, so perhaps I increased an already existing boost leak. I'll test more today, but I think intake leak would cause these 2 codes, right? Which one do you have, just the "no activity b1 s1" right?

Last edited by HornstarBU; Nov 5, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

FYI, I started getting the code P0134 and P0171, one is "too lean" and the other is "o2 no activity bank1" so I think I have a similar situation to you. I run real rich while the car warms up, and then eventually it seems to idle well and oscillate around 14.7....but every so often it runs really rich at idle. Maybe we have exhaust leaks....
DUDE you have the EXACT same codes as me!! Im glad im not alone hahah Ya when my car is cold it reads real low like in the 11's and such. as the car warms up it starts to be in the normal range... IDK where i would have a leak? Actually... My downpipe im not using the evo donut gasket..would this throw something??
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Here what i pulled off of alldata:

Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (sensor 1) Circuit

•Refer to, DTC P0132 Heated Oxygen Sensor (front) Circuit.
•Refer to, DTC P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204 - Injector Circuit.
CIRCUIT OPERATION

•Refer to, DTC P0132 Heated Oxygen Sensor (front) Circuit.
•Refer to, DTC P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204 - Injector Circuit.
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION

•The ECM or PCM effects air/fuel ratio feedback control in accordance with the signals from the heater oxygen sensor (front).
•If the heated oxygen sensor (front) has deteriorated, corrections will be made by the heated oxygen sensor (rear).
•DTC P0134 becomes stored in memory if a failure is detected in the above air/fuel ratio feedback control system.
DTC SET CONDITIONS

Check Conditions

•Thirty seconds or more have passed since the starting sequence was completed.
•Engine coolant temperature is higher than 76 °C (169 °F) .
•Engine speed is higher than 1,200 r/min .
•Volumetric efficiency is higher than 30 percent.
•Throttle position sensor output voltage is lower than 4.2 volts .
•Except while fuel is being shut off.
•Monitoring time: 30 seconds .
Judgment Criteria

•Heated oxygen sensor (front) output voltage does not get across 0.5 volt within about 30 seconds .
TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely causes for this code to be set are: )

•Heated oxygen sensor (front) deteriorated.
•Open circuit in heated oxygen sensor (front) output line.
•Open circuit in heated oxygen sensor (front) ground line.
•Heated oxygen sensor (rear) deteriorated.
NOTE: When the heated oxygen sensor (front) begins to deteriorate, the heated oxygen sensor output voltage will deviate from the voltage when the sensor was new (normally 0.5 volt at stoichiometric ratio). This deviation will be corrected by the heated oxygen sensor (rear). If the heated oxygen sensor (rear) responds poorly because it has deteriorated, it will improperly correct the heated oxygen sensor (front). Thus, even when closed loop control is being effected, the fluctuation of the heated oxygen sensor (front) output voltage decreases, without intersecting with 0.5 volt . As a result, there is a possibility of DTC P0134 becoming registered.

1.Connect scan tool MB991502 to the data link connector.
2.Start the engine and run at idle.
3.Set scan tool MB991502 to the data reading mode for item 59, Heated Oxygen Sensor (rear).
•Warming up the engine. When the engine is revved, the output voltage should repeat 0 volt and 0.6 to 1.0 volt alternately.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position. Q: Is the sensor operating properly?
YES: Go to Step 2.
NO: Refer to, DTC P0137- Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (sensor 2), DTC P0135 - Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (sensor 2), DTC P0139 - Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (sensor 2).

STEP 2. Check the exhaust leaks.

Q: Are there any abnormalities?

YES: Repair it. Then go to Step 12.
NO: Go to Step 3.

STEP 3. Check the intake system vacuum leak.

YES: Repair it. Then go to Step 12.
NO: Go to Step 4.

STEP 4. Check connector B-113 at the heated oxygen sensor (front) for damage.

Q: Is the connector in good condition?

YES: Go to Step 5.
NO: Repair or replace it. Refer to Harness Connector Inspection. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 5. Check the heated oxygen sensor (front).

1.Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor (front) connector B-113 and connect test harness special tool, MD998464 to the connector on the heated oxygen sensor (front) side.
2.Warm up the engine until engine coolant 80 °C (176 °F) or higher.
CAUTION: Be very careful when connecting the jumper wires; incorrect connection can damage the heated oxygen sensor (front).
3.Use the jumper wires to connect terminal 1 (red clip) to the positive battery terminal and terminal 3 (blue clip) to the negative battery terminal.
4.Connect a digital volt meter between terminal 2 (black clip) and terminal 4 (white clip).
5.While repeatedly revving the engine, measure the heated oxygen sensor (front) output voltage. Standard value: 0.6 - 1.0 volt Q: Is the voltage at the standard value?

YES: Go to Step 6.
NO: Replace the heated oxygen sensor (front). Then go to Step 12.

STEP 6. Check connector B-017, B-18, B-20, B-22 at injector for damage.

YES: Go to Step 7.
NO: Repair or replace it. Refer to Harness Connector Inspection. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 7. Check the injector.

1.Disconnect each injector connector.
2.Measure the resistance between injector side connector terminal 1 and 2. Standard value: 13 - 16 ohm [at 20 °C (68 °F)] Q: Is the resistance standard value?

YES: Go to Step 8.
NO: Replace the injector Then go to Step 12.

STEP 8. Check connector C-115, C-121 at ECM or connector C-116, C-120 at PCM for damage.

YES: Go to Step 9.

STEP 9. Check for harness damage between heated oxygen sensor (front) connector B-113 terminal 4 and ECM connector C-115 terminal 76 or PCM connector C-116 terminal 71 .

Q: Is the harness wire in good condition?

YES: Go to Step 10.
NO: Repair it. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 10. Check for harness damage between injector connector B-017, B-18, B-20, B-22 and ECM connector C-121 or PCM connector C-120 .

a.Check the harness wire between injector connector B-22 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 1 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 1 when checking No.1 cylinder.
a.Check the harness wire between injector connector B-20 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 14 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 9 when checking No.2 cylinder.
a.Check the harness wire between injector connector B-18 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 2 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 24 when checking No.3 cylinder.
a.Check the harness wire between injector connector B-17 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 15 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 2 when checking No.4 cylinder Q: Is the harness wire in good condition?
YES: Go to Step 11.

STEP 11. Check the fuel pressure.
Refer to, Fuel Pressure Test.

Q: Is the fuel pressure normal?

YES: Replace the ECM or PCM. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 12. Test the OBD-II drive cycle.

1.Carry out a test drive with the drive cycle pattern. Refer to, Procedure 6 Other Monitor.
2.Check the diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Q: Is the DTC P0134 output?
YES: Retry the troubleshooting.
NO: The inspection is complete.

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Nov 5, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

System too Lean Circuit
  • Refer to, DTC P0201 - P0204 Injector Circuit Malfunction.
CIRCUIT OPERATION
  • Refer to, DTC P0201 - P0204 Injector Circuit Malfunction.
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION
  • If a malfunction occurs in the fuel system, the fuel trim value becomes too large.
  • The ECM or PCM <A T>checks whether the fuel trim value is within a specified range.
DTC SET CONDITIONS

Check Conditions
  • Engine coolant temperature is lower than approximately 100 °C (212 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Intake air temperature is lower than 60 °C (140 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Under the closed loop air/fuel ratio control.
  • Engine coolant temperature is higher than 77 °C (171 °F) .
  • Volume air flow sensor output frequency is 81 Hz or more.
Judgment Criteria
  • Long-term fuel trim has continued to be higher than +12.5 percent for 5 seconds .
or

• Short-term fuel trim has continued to be higher than +10.0 percent for 5 seconds .
Check Conditions
  • Engine coolant temperature is lower than approximately 100 °C (212 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Intake air temperature is lower than 60 °C (140 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Volume air flow sensor output frequency is 81 Hz or less.
Judgment Criteria
  • Long-term fuel trim has continued to be higher than +12.5 percent for 5 seconds .
or

• Short-term fuel trim has continued to be higher than +15 percent for 5 seconds .
Check Conditions
  • Engine coolant temperature is higher than approximately 100 °C (212 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Intake air temperature is higher than 60 °C (140 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Volume air flow sensor output frequency is 81 Hz or more.
Judgment Criteria
or

• Short-term fuel trim has continued to be higher than +20.0 percent for 5 seconds .
Check Conditions
  • Engine coolant temperature is higher than approximately 100 °C (212 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Intake air temperature is higher than 60 °C (140 °F) when the engine is started.
  • Volume air flow sensor output frequency is 81 Hz or less.
Judgment Criteria
or

• Short-term fuel trim has continued to be higher than +25.0 percent for 5 seconds .
Check Conditions
Judgment Criteria
  • Long-term fuel trim has continued to be +12.5 percent for 5 seconds .
or

• Short-term fuel trim has continued to be +25.0 percent for 5 seconds .
TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely causes for this code to be set are
  • Volume air flow sensor failed.
  • Injector failed.
  • Incorrect fuel pressure.
  • Air drawn in from gaps in gasket, seals, etc.
  • Heated oxygen sensor failed.
  • Engine coolant temperature sensor failed.
  • Intake air temperature sensor failed.
  • Barometric pressure sensor failed.
  • Use of incorrect or contaminated fuel.
  • ECU failed.
  • PCM failed.
DIAGNOSIS

Required Special Tools
  • MB991502: Scan Tool (MUT-II)
STEP 1. Check the exhaust leaks.

YES:</B> Go to Step 2.NO:</B> Repair it. Then go to Step 14.
STEP 2. Check the intake system vacuum leak.

YES:</B> Go to Step 3.NO:</B> Repair it. Then go to Step 14.STEP 3. Using scan tool MB991502, check data list item 12: Volume Air Flow Sensor.

CAUTION: To prevent damage to scan tool MB991502, always turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position before connecting or disconnecting scan tool MB991502.

1. Connect scan tool MB991502 to the data link connector
  2. Start the engine and run at idle.
  3. Set scan tool MB991502 to the data reading mode for item 12, Volume Air Flow Sensor.
  4. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature: 80 °C to 96 °C (176 °F to 205 °F) .
    1. Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position. Q: Is the sensor operating properly?
    YES:</B> Go to Step 4.NO:</B> Refer to, DTC P0101 - Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem, DTC P0102 - Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input.STEP 4. Using scan tool MB991502, check data list item 13: Intake Air Temperature Sensor.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
    2. Set scan tool MB991502 to the data reading mode for item 13, Intake Air Temperature Sensor.
      1. Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position. Q: Is the sensor operating properly?
      YES:</B> Go to Step 5.NO:</B> Refer to, DTC P0111 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem, DTC P0112 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit Low Input, DTC P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input.STEP 5. Using scan tool MB991502, check data list item 21: Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

2. Set scan tool MB991502 to the data reading mode for item 21, Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.
        YES:</B> Go to Step 6.NO:</B> Refer to, DTC P0116 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem, DTC P0117 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input, DTC P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input.STEP 6. Using scan tool MB991502, check data list item 25: Barometric Pressure Sensor.

2. Set scan tool MB991502 to the data reading mode for item 25, Barometric Pressure Sensor.
          YES:</B> Go to Step 7.NO:</B> Refer to, DTC P0106 - Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem, DTC P0107 - Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input, DTC P0108 - Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input.STEP 7. Check connector B-17, B-18, B-20, B-22 at injector for damage.

YES:</B> Go to Step 8.NO:</B> Repair or replace it. Refer to Harness Connector Inspection. Then go to Step 14.
          STEP 8. Check the injector.

1. Disconnect each injector connector.
          1. Measure the resistance between injector side connector terminal 1 and 2. Standard value: 13 - 16 ohm [at 20 °C (68 °F)] Q: Is the resistance standard value?
          YES:</B> Go to Step 9.NO:</B> Replace the injector. Then go to Step 14.STEP 9. Check connector C-121 at ECM or connector C-120 at PCM for damage.

YES:</B> Go to Step 10.NO:</B> Repair or replace it. Refer to Harness Connector Inspection. Then go to Step 14.STEP 10. Check for harness damage between injector connector and ECM connector or PCM connector <A T>.
          1. Check the harness wire between injector connector B-22 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 1 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 1 <A T>when checking No.1 cylinder.
          2. Check the harness wire between injector connector B-20 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 14 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 9 <A T>when checking No.2 cylinder.
          3. Check the harness wire between injector connector B-18 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 2 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 24 <A T>when checking No.3 cylinder.
          4. Check the harness wire between injector connector B-17 terminal 2 and ECM connector C-121 terminal 15 or PCM connector C-120 terminal 2 <A T>when checking No.4 cylinder. Q: Is the harness wire in good condition?
          YES:</B> Go to Step 11.NO:</B> Repair it. Then go to Step 14.STEP 11. Check the fuel pressure. Refer to, Fuel Pressure Test.

Q: Is the fuel pressure normal?

YES:</B> Go to Step 12.NO:</B> Repair or replace it. Then go to Step 14.STEP 12. Check for entry of foreign matter (water, kerosene, etc.) into fuel.

YES:</B> Go to Step 13.NO:</B> Replace the fuel. Then go to Step 14.STEP 13. Replace the injector.
          1. Replace the injector.
          2. Carry out a test drive with the drive cycle pattern. Refer to, Procedure 2 - Fuel Trim Monitor.
          3. Check the diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Q: Is the DTC P0171 output?
          YES:</B> Replace the ECM or PCM. Then go to Step 14.NO:</B> The inspection is complete.STEP 14. Test the OBD-II drive cycle.
          1. Carry out a test drive with the drive cycle pattern. Refer to, Procedure 2 - Fuel Trim Monitor.
          2. Check the diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Q: Is the DTC P0171 output?
          YES:</B> Retry the troubleshooting.NO:</B> The inspection is complete.
          Alldata info

Quick Reply: Important Front 02 sensor question!