Notices

Tuning 06 Lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning 06 Lancer ES

First off, Hello Lancer community!

I am new to your sub forum but not EvoM. I hang out most of the time in the Evolution sections of this site(just reading mostly). Started tuning mitsubishis in the late 90's. Now i am here with a new project, 2006 Lancer ES 5spd. This platform is completely new to me and i have turned to these pages for information. I am sure i will benefit from all your experiences with these cars and hope i can give back to the community with my tuning experience through this build.

So the project vehicle is completely stock. The Scope is to turbocharge the factory 2.0L and tune complete. I am looking at my engine management options at the moment. There are plenty of piggy back systems out there to handle fuel and timing needs, such as; aem fic, split second/RRM, and apexi afc units. Coming from the eclipse and evolution world i am aware of how capable the factory ecu's are. So my question is. How capable is the factory ecu on the 06 Lancer? I have seen through my short research in the local forum that the pre 05 ecu's have been flashed. I have not located anything on flashing the 06 ecu.

What i have researched so far?
I have successfully read the rom from the ecu via ecuflash and have identified the ROMID 88250013. After reading rom and saving to my laptop i tried to view parameters....I dont not have rom definitions for this particular rom nor do i know how to develope them. Can anyone help here? I would like to at least view the factory data parameters and identify the thresholds. I am sure the factory tables would be extremely limited when adding boost to all ecu inputs.

Moving forward i contacted Senate6268 for more informatioin, as i noticed he has much knowledge in this particular subject. He suggested that i flashback the untouched rom i saved back to the ecu. That was a success, thanks. So we know the ecu is flashable. Maybe some of you already knew this. idk, again this is all new to me.

I know eventually the ecu will need more Authority than what its currently programmed to, when asked to handle boost. The earlier Lancer benefited from an evo8 rom flahsed to your stock ECU(Great job on that guys). So is any of this an option for the 06 ecu? Looking at the ecu, it looks just like a evo 9 ecu. It has same 3 piece connector harness set up and uses same flashing protocol... Could a tephra based evo 9 rom be flashed to the 06 Lancer ecu? I would like to test this sometime soon...I know the Lancer ES 2.0L motor is not Mivec equiped. Is this our road block? Maybe the evo 9 mivec tables can be set to "0" or neutral?

Anyone have input on this?

Ronnie
Old Apr 7, 2011, 06:24 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

^^if you want to view the stock parameters download senates master def file list. that has pretty much any base lancer rom yopu need.

if your looking to go turbo and also in another thread here, you can flash an evo rom to the base lancer ecu, thus giving you all the "turbo" maps and what not. as long ans its not a mivec engine i dont see why this wouldnt work.

when i ran my turbo lancer i had a slightly modified stock evo map. all i had was it setup for wrx 440 injectors and some slight timing issues i had as well. i used the stock evo maf so i didnt need to change anyhting there.

you came into tuning lancers when its easy, you lucky po......lol j/k man. we're all here to help

josh
Old Apr 7, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRR
^^if you want to view the stock parameters download senates master def file list. that has pretty much any base lancer rom yopu need.

if your looking to go turbo and also in another thread here, you can flash an evo rom to the base lancer ecu, thus giving you all the "turbo" maps and what not. as long ans its not a mivec engine i dont see why this wouldnt work.

when i ran my turbo lancer i had a slightly modified stock evo map. all i had was it setup for wrx 440 injectors and some slight timing issues i had as well. i used the stock evo maf so i didnt need to change anyhting there.

you came into tuning lancers when its easy, you lucky po......lol j/k man. we're all here to help

josh
I did download the master file zip but there wasnt anything in it ? lol . The older lancer roms you are refering to are different from what i read and havent been used on the 06 lancer platform from what i read. Correct me if i am wrong.

I am questioning using a evo8 rom on a 06+ mitsu ecu that i am sure is closer to the evo9 ecu internally.

Once i get control of the ecu i am sure tuning would be similar to the early 3rd gen eclipses i fitted with evo ecu's and tuned. I remember using the evo maf and wrx injectors for them as well.

btw , thanks for your input Josh

Ronnie
Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

maybe when you extract the files you got the same thing I did.

extract it and then rename it to something like definition files.zip then extract it again, this will bring up all the files.

hope that helps ya. I have an 05 AT that I'm going to turbo soon and I just started looking at the ECU and what I'll be able to do with it since it has a returnless system while the 02-03 had a return system (not sure if it matters when tuning or not). sorry kind of rambled there but hoped that helped ya.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

thanks slater. that worked.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

yeah on the evo rom swap it says it wont work on 05-06 models because they use a different flashing method? ocp? and u just add that to the end of the mitsukernel code or whatever.

could someone clear this up? us newer model guys want turbos too
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burner67
yeah on the evo rom swap it says it wont work on 05-06 models because they use a different flashing method? ocp? and u just add that to the end of the mitsukernel code or whatever.

could someone clear this up? us newer model guys want turbos too
Its in the xml file for the rom on the top is a flashing method and normally for an evo its mitsukernel.

Download your rom and definition and simply look at the flashing method for your car and then make the flashing method identical for the rom your trying to flash. This will allow ecuflash to flash the computer.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Its in the xml file for the rom on the top is a flashing method and normally for an evo its mitsukernel.

Download your rom and definition and simply look at the flashing method for your car and then make the flashing method identical for the rom your trying to flash. This will allow ecuflash to flash the computer.
I will be trying this soon. When i originally test read and flashed back stock rom to the 06 ecu i used "ocp" and it worked. The Def i got from Senate's mater file for my rom is missing "ocp", I will add and try a re flash. Now that i have the DEfs i can modify the stock rom and do some testing. I will try the Evo rom thereafter.

I'll post results.

Ronnie
Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

So you can see the maps now?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jakermeister
So you can see the maps now?
yes
Old Apr 8, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Glad you got it worked out Keep us posted on the build.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

would the Tephra Evo Rom be able to be flashed into the 04-06 lancer's ecu. I haven't seen anyone with an 04-06 lancer do that yet, or has it been done??
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slatermvp
would the Tephra Evo Rom be able to be flashed into the 04-06 lancer's ecu. I haven't seen anyone with an 04-06 lancer do that yet, or has it been done??
I don't see any reason why not immobilizer will likely need to be disabled just like normal to start and you'll need to pay attention to the flashing method like i mentioned on earlier.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

oh ok. i gotta start reading the tephra thread.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

i can't really see the flashing method for my car because there is no definition for it in the master list. I have it downloaded and in the right folder.

I have a 2005 lancer 0z rally MT

Quick Reply: Tuning 06 Lancer ES