Notices

Weird Engine tick

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Engine tick

Ok when I start my car and it's cold the engine makes a strange ticking noise but then goes away as soon as I get out of 1st gear. And if the car has been ran and I start it and it's warm there's no noise. Any help?
Old May 19, 2014, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Most likely a little bit of clatter from the lifters or rocker arms, mine does the same thing. Maintenance wise our cars have a valve clearance check that should be made every 60k.
Old May 19, 2014, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by RT78
Most likely a little bit of clatter from the lifters or rocker arms, mine does the same thing. Maintenance wise our cars have a valve clearance check that should be made every 60k.
Ok how should I check that? Sorry for dumb questions I'm new to the car world I just want to learn.
Old May 19, 2014, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Im pretty sure we have hydraulic lifters and cannot be adjusted...i have heard sludge sometimes block oil passages going to the lifters and reduce the oil pressure the lifters need making the little ticking noise when cold.
Old May 19, 2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by marcouxa1
Im pretty sure we have hydraulic lifters and cannot be adjusted...i have heard sludge sometimes block oil passages going to the lifters and reduce the oil pressure the lifters need making the little ticking noise when cold.
So you're saying I'm good? Just a inconvenience?
Old May 20, 2014, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

The lifters can't be adjusted, but it's the rocker arms that actually get adjusted. You'd need a feeler gauge and a new valve cover gasket, the rockers are under the valve cover. Honestly if the tick isn't constant and pretty loud the inspection isn't necessary, it's typically only done if things are constantly clattering. Also if you're not really mechanically inclined I would skip it, or at least get somebody who's pretty familiar with working on cars to give you a hand(no offense).
Old May 20, 2014, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marcouxa1
+1 for the lifters, they are in fact hydraulic, and right again with the semi clogged passages
Old May 20, 2014, 04:44 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RT78
The lifters can't be adjusted, but it's the rocker arms that actually get adjusted. You'd need a feeler gauge and a new valve cover gasket, the rockers are under the valve cover. Honestly if the tick isn't constant and pretty loud the inspection isn't necessary, it's typically only done if things are constantly clattering. Also if you're not really mechanically inclined I would skip it, or at least get somebody who's pretty familiar with working on cars to give you a hand(no offense).
Alright sounds good. Thanks guys!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:53 AM

Hi,
I have 2003 Lancer. I have replaced about 1/2 the lifters already but still have a pretty loud tick. I have actually had it apart four times and have found mechanical damage to lifters twice and I was suspecting a clogged oil passage as well. Can the passages be cleaned in some way? Has anyone done so?

The lifters are hydraulic so lash cannot be adjusted.

Although I see that folks are not worried about the ticking, the reality is that it indicates that valves are not opening all the way. In time this will burn valves.

Looking forward to insights.

Thanks Jeff