Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

stroker kit (US LANCER)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stroker kit (US LANCER)

This is a topic I had been meaning to bring up for a long time. I see a lot of performance cars out there that have stroker kits which (correct me if I am wrong) increase the displacement of the engine.

From what I have seen these kits are comprised of new rods and pistons and since people are making new rods and pistons I was wondering what people think it would take to make a stroker kit for our cars?

Would you need a new engine management system to do so or could the stock ECU run this type of application?

This is all for discussion so feel free to weigh in on this topic if it peaks your interest.

Thanks
WADAD
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

do you have a link to somewhere that gives more info about this?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

No no

I was just thinking about what a stroker kit does? If this is something that could be done then maybe demand for it would bring it about.

There isn't one that I have seen out there for the US lancer, but with my NA setup I am running out of things left to do. Just looking for other options.

WADAD
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

I found out that a kit would actually need a new crankshaft also. WOW that would mean some serious engine work!!!!!
Is there anyone out there that can tell me how much of an improvement this type of modification does? Say increasing the 2.0 to a 2.2L.

WADAD
Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

i think i rember reading that our engine is a stroked out 1.8 out of the mirage and there is not much more room for anything more...but don't hold me to it
Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

i wasnt asking about a link to one for the uslancer bc obviously we dont have one for us yet. i was asking you to link us to a site with info about them in general, where are you getting your info?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:45 PM

yes, i cant remember who said it but the 2.0 is a mod'd 1.8 (i dont know whether that is a stroke & bore combo or just stroke, (its .05 over,[.2 liters divided by 4 cylinders])

generally it isnt as efficient on a lower number of cylinders (like, a 4cyl compared to a v8), thats why just about every v8 has a stroker kit

a stroker kit is possible for a lancer. just like a full roller kit, but that is all obsessive stuff, i wouldnt do more than a 5-7psi boost ic-turbo on stock internals

all this would be more drastic than simply doing an engine swap. is anybody familiar with mitsu engines? i bet somebody could stuff a v6 in there
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'll just confirm that the 4G94 is a 2.0 liter version of the $g93 1.8L engine from the Mirages. Increasing the displacement much more probably isn't realistic, but I do recall hearing somewhere that someone had bored it out to maybe a 2.1L displacement. Realistically, you can't go too much further without compromising the structural integrity of the engine. And if you do that, as you can imagine, turbo-ing or any other serious performance mod is out the window because they'll all increase stress on the engine.

A swap is possible. Theoretically, the RalliArt's 2.4L 4G69 MIVEC should fit in fine. Even the Evo's 4G63t should fit in, but the drivetrain would require a good deal more work, prohibitively. There's a V6 that can also get crammed in there - someone way back when ordered one from RPW, but nothing ever came of it. I think he ended up selling it before installing it or something... Anyway, you can ask mitsiman from RPW about that. It fits, and according to them, very snugly. It's probably the best way to get some more low-end grunt in our cars, but I have no idea what it would do to the weight balance of the car.
-N
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Link

http://www.rpmmachine.com/347-stroker.shtml

for a ford but same idea I guess.

WADAD
Old Sep 26, 2004, 08:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by neilscully
I'll just confirm that the 4G94 is a 2.0 liter version of the $g93 1.8L engine from the Mirages. Increasing the displacement much more probably isn't realistic, but I do recall hearing somewhere that someone had bored it out to maybe a 2.1L displacement. Realistically, you can't go too much further without compromising the structural integrity of the engine. And if you do that, as you can imagine, turbo-ing or any other serious performance mod is out the window because they'll all increase stress on the engine.

A swap is possible. Theoretically, the RalliArt's 2.4L 4G69 MIVEC should fit in fine. Even the Evo's 4G63t should fit in, but the drivetrain would require a good deal more work, prohibitively. There's a V6 that can also get crammed in there - someone way back when ordered one from RPW, but nothing ever came of it. I think he ended up selling it before installing it or something... Anyway, you can ask mitsiman from RPW about that. It fits, and according to them, very snugly. It's probably the best way to get some more low-end grunt in our cars, but I have no idea what it would do to the weight balance of the car.
-N
I agree completely. We're overbored to begin with. If you want more displacement you're probably better off with an engine swap. And my personal feeling is you're better off turbocharging or supercharging before swapping motors in terms of practicality and probably power output.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Nuff said

Thanks
WADAD
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well im not sure about the engines in the Lancer but for the Evo you could put a 4G94 Crank, Rods, and Strokers Pistons (different positioning of the pin) to get your stroker. Oh ya you of course would have to bore and hone the block and you really shouldnt go over .60 over (pushing it). I would have to know more info about the stock stroke and displacement then i could figure out what you could do and what you could stroke it out to.

Chris
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You mean 4g64?

We're the ones with 4g94's, and something tells me you wouldn't want our rods and pistons unless you were at gunpoint.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
You mean 4g64?

We're the ones with 4g94's, and something tells me you wouldn't want our rods and pistons unless you were at gunpoint.
Sorry that was a typo. Yea the 4G64 out of the Montero. You take that crank since it is 100mm to our 88mm and install some aftermarket rods and stroker pistons. You are then able to select how big you want to go with the displacement depending on how much you overbore it. But remember the best way is to keep the engine square.

Thanks for clearing that one up SORRY!

CHris
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Can't you take the whole bottom end instead of boring yours out?

Unfortunately the 2.0l 4g94 is the largest bore/stroke in its family, and pretty much at max displacement. If it were a viable option I'd probably go the stroker route, but it doesn't seem probable/practical for us.