Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

potential engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look at the exh. manifold on the outlander, could possibly free up some hp on the lancer if it would fit.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

yeah thats the way to think... but we have rpw/vision imports with headers shipping and its been a while since I saw anything..... but Rock said he was coming up with some also. but hey once again if it fits it could make a cheep swap from the boneyard
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

if you wanted to free up the exhaust on the lancer by putting in a diffrent exhaust manifold why put in the outlander one, its probably not as free flowing as an aftermarket exhaust manifold that you can put on it
Old Nov 23, 2002, 07:24 AM

because not everyone has the disposable income for new headers i bet anybody can afford 25 bucks at a boneyard, and if it flows even a little better it would be worthwhile for lancers without a big bankroll for the aftermarket stuff
Old Nov 23, 2002, 07:26 AM

oh but don't tell the guys atthe boneyard why you want it or they will charge you more for the part
Old Nov 23, 2002, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

This has been gone over in other threads... the 2.4 is of a different block family, so, chances are swapability is nil.

As for a complete engine swap, it would most likely entail a COMPLETE drivetrain swap, meaning everything from the transmission, control arms, and the differential(s) to probably the axle and suspension. As well, remember that Mitsubishi likes to switch around which way the crank itself goes, so, you'd half to do alot of digging around to find the correct transmissions for that engine. Also remember the cost of custom made engine/drivetrain mounts... the list goes on. The part cost alone would probably be more than a turbo kit installed. It's a mighty big undertaking for 20 extra ponies.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 01:07 PM

that is bad news, however if the outlander and the lancer are the same platform, wouldn't that mean that you wouldn't need any custom mounts, and such? because i assume that "same platform" means that it will work if you remove enough parts from both cars. what do you think?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Platform = chassis

Yes, if you remove enough parts from the Outlander, it could very possibly work. However, this is simply not a cost effective method for more horse power. With the sheer number of parts that you'd need, it'd probably be necessary to purchase an Outlander outright, seeing as the chances of going to a boneyard and finding the front half fully intact...

Also, remember that the transmission installation would require extensive modification of the interior. Plus, if you wanted a five speed, you'd have to explore the Eclipse, and that WOULD entail custom mount work.

This is the thing: You probably could do it, however, it would require tons of downtime, labor, and massive costs. Part of an engine swap being successful is that it is a cost effective method of either making more power due to the engine itself (definitely not the case here) or by the availability of parts (not entirely the case here, seeing that any kind of performance parts would be for either the RS Eclipse/Galant/Outlander, and the engine bay may not allow for clearances). Basically, I'm saying that while it is possible, ask WHY you would do it in the first place?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 01:47 PM

ok gotcha
Old Nov 23, 2002, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Let me reiterate something, just so people know it... the 4G94 in the Lancer is a variant of the 1.8L 4G93 in the last gen Mirages. The 4 is a bored out version.

The 2.4L is a 4G64, which is a bored out, naturally aspirated variant of the 4G63, the same engine that graces the shores of America in most DSM vehicles, as well as the Evo's mainstay overseas. I'll break down Mitsubishi's engine coding method:

4 = # of cylinders
G = Denotes Generation
9 = Block "family" (key in ANY kind of engine/transmission swap)
4 = Denotes variant type from Block family

So, this is why the a swap in ANY part from the 2.4L 4G64 would not work, no matter how close it appears. If anyone would like to correct something I've written, or ask a question, feel free.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

SL is correct. You can't plug and play internal or major external parts.

As for swapping an entire motor out, you'll also need the tranny too from the 3g eclipse. Their starter is on the tranny, not on the motor like ours. Funny thing, their 4 banger (not the 6 banger) shares the same tranny code, but mitsu put the starter in different places.

Also, why thinking about motor swaps when your engine is still brand new? If you hit +85K in mileage, I can see your POV.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I think that the reasoning would have been more performance oriented, although, as I pointed out, there really is no benefit, seeing as it doesn't fit the two major reasons for a engine swap when it comes to performance:

1) Significantly better performance from the engine/transmission being transplanted

2) Wider array of inexpensive and/or more functional modifications offered for the transplanted engines.

I mean, if you think it is difficult finding mods for the Lancer, imagine trying to find performance parts for a Lancer with this engine when the performance mods are tailor made for a wholly different car.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

In Ft Lauderdale, there is a 5g mirage with the 1.5L . . . he has been trying to do the swap for about a year. He has 2 motors sitting at his place and discouraged with the money pit.

His main issue is the tranny. He thought he could mate his 1.5L manual onto the new motor. He found out that the 4g64 had no starter on the motor.

Motor sit a lot close to the radiator fan, and the tranny mount is a little off.

Since the outlander uses the same chassis, some of the fitment issue may be eliminated, unlike the 3g platform into a smaller 5g coupe. The man issue here: did Mitsu changed a bit better on the outlander for such possibility?

As for parts, you're right on target. They have lesser parts than the lancers. Now, if you're talking about the 2g spyders. That's a different ballpark. They can interchange parts with the 4g63T.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Right. All I keep thinking about is how you would figure out which way the crank rotates. Mitsu has a habit of changing that between models and generations, so, that could also prove to be a problem.

In short, there are more cons than pros here, and having some sense, if an expert like bahamut here says it's not a good idea, I'm listening.

Out of curiousity, why is that guy trying to wedge a 4G64 into a 5G? Why not try a 4G94? I mean, that's what, a 20 hp boost with potential for a DOHC conversion/great turbo gains?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

At the time, the 4g94 didn't exist yet. It was still over a year away before the first lancer went on sales . . . somewhere around late 2000. Now, he's stuck with low funds and need an eclipse manual traany.

That's what I've been telling the 1.5L guys. Drop a 4g94 into a tired motor with tonnages of miles . . . for the 5g 1.5L . . .

As for the 1.8L, it wouldn't be cost effective. It would be better to duplicate a mild stroker kit using Mitsu specs on the bore and stroke with forged parts. Of course, the piston head will have to be a bit lower since the cyl head height on the lancer is a bit taller than the 1.8L . . . from my sight, not very scientific yet.

Quick Reply: potential engine swap?