Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

potential engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2002, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, now you've gone back to speaking french... just kidding.

Could a mild stroker kit be obtained for the 4G94, and if so, what kind of gains would we see from this?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

if the 4g64 is in the outlander which shares the chassis of the lancer and your saying it wouldn't be that hard to put it in a lancer, just not worth it because there is only 20hp gain, if the 64 is the same block as the 63 how can it be so much harder to put a 63 in the lancer, i don't see how it can cost 15000 like some people said when it only costs a 1000 or less to put a chevy 350 v8 in a datsun 240z and these cars aren't even made in the same country, not even same number of cylinders.

also someone said there are parts for the eclipse with that engine that might not fit in the engine bay, the lancer has a pretty big engine bay and a lot of room if you just remove the stock airbox and you could get even more if you put the battery in the trunk, also you could probably do a little modding to the piping on the eclipse parts and get them to fit, or just get a hood with a cowl for extra room.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

There is more to it than just mounting capabilities. You have to realize that there is various little things that Mitsubishi does to change an engine/drivetrain between models let alone some generations of engines. The 4G94 is really kind of interesting because it is VERY similar to the 4G93, whereas my understanding is that the 4G64 is a wholly different animal aside from it's block code than the MULTIPLE amount of variations on the 4G63. Agreed, I said that it was a bored out, N/A variant, however, I was talking about basic engine block design, not including drivetrain differences.

Also, you need to realize that in putting a 4G63 into a Lancer, you definitely WOULD need to have custom engine mounts, transmission mounts, and so on, manufactured, which is where the money really starts to flow.

As for making a "cowl" hood in order to fit it in, that doesn't take into account how chassis and clearance issues might come into play. That's just adding some room at the top, but, that might not be where room is needed (see transmission length/size). And, as I said, interior modifications would be needed to even operate the transmission at all.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Also, remember that we didn't ever say it would be easy. Just possible. I think that it would probably be in the overall price range as people have quoted for the 4G63 setup.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

well aren't us lancers and the evo the same chassis? i'm pretty sure they are but i could be wrong so if all you have to do is the custom computer and wiring and custom engine and tranny mounts i know you can do it for less than 15k
Old Nov 23, 2002, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

You are totally leaving out the AWD conversion that would be required. That is a MAJOR key in where the money goes.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

what if you left it frontwd though by using and eclispe tranny or some other front wheel drive car with the 63 or put the evo trans in without connecting the back half of the drivetrain and caping off the back of the transmission?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not even sure if that is even possible. Probably isn't. In either case, you're talking some serious dough in that it is customizing a VERY complex piece of machinery, not to mention the fact that you'd probably be sacrificing alot of reliability by doing that.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

I want to clear this up a bit.

The 2g Spyder's 4g64 has the same T-belt orientation as the 4g63T (some swappable parts). In the 3g, it faces the opposite as the mirage/Lancer.

Also, the 3g was designed to hold the 3.0L 6g72 from the NA 3K GT. Now, the 4 banger in the same engine bay that was designed for a 6 banger looks small.

EVO uses the same chassis, but it has so much chassis reinforcement.

As for the Chevy 350 in all sorts of cars, GM builds tons of crate engines. Therefore, it's cheap overall. As far as I know, Mitsu isn't in the business to build crate engines for the masses. Otherwise, there will be tonsof 4g6x block in the market.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

As for axles, eclipse's FWD system is a bit wider . . . need custom axle shafts.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

oh well thats the kind of input I was looking for It is soo frustrating the way mitsu keeps changing things around from engine to engine and model to model. maybe if they standardized things a bit they could make more cars more profitably, and have an aftermarket like honda or nissan just because of the modular possibilities. sigh it was just a thought
Old Nov 24, 2002, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

ratboy, you need to really take a peek at the Evo swap guide. All of your arguments have been covered before. It's the sad truth but these cars are not Hondas. People realy need to get over that.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah.... it all comes down to that yes, it's possible, but economically feasible? No. I mean, for 15K, think about the turbo upgrade you could be running... maybe even a DOHC conversion... that could end up being close HP wise, and ET wise.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 05:07 PM

and just think if we all hadn't already bought lancers that 15k on top of the price of an oz would buy an evo. sigh.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

"Could a mild stroker kit be obtained for the 4G94, and if so, what kind of gains would we see from this? "

Good Q. I have not looked at the lancer's conrod. From reading tech spec, it's pretty long. I don't think it can be any longer besides forging it . . . Bore the blockout is not an option (already at it's max).

If it was to be done. The conrods will be even longer, and the piston head will be domed for higher CR from 9.5:1 to 10.2:1 . . . change the connecting pins on the piston and conrod.

Its effect will give you an overall boost in TQ w/o boring the block. With bore, you'll gain a fatter powerband.

Quick Reply: potential engine swap?