Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

potential engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anybody managed to do this swap yet?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info, bahamut.

I'm nowhere near intimidated by VTEC, especially the current US applications, but, the Type R is a pretty decent (if not the best besides the Type S RSX) use of it, and a formidable vehicle. So, the idea that the Lancer could obtain the power to even compete with the ITR while remaining NA is very very interesting. Any clue on cost of a kit/installation? Hate to keep asking questions, but, it seems that this is the first time that this has been explored as an option.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/cy...custom-kit/?en

Here's an example of a stroker kit for other makes and models. It's dependent on bore and stroke, upgraded material, and possible new crankshaft (don't know if it's custom or a core with just machine balanced). Also, each company make their own version of stroker . . . don't know any besides Jun, but I'm sure they are out there making such kits to 'tegra GS or GSR and even civic EX or SI. Domestic doesn't count in this pool.

Just look at the stat on any engine and compare to factory specs. You'll get the idea of a stroker.

As for cost, I don't really know. You can guess looking at forged material from conrods, pistons, and other small stuff off retail priice via piece meal . . . at least an estimate by adding them up. Again, it might hit 3500 bucks, but you can save a lot by doing most of the labor with fellow DSM'ers who have the experience pulling motors apart. It's far cheaper to pay friends than a mechanic at 60 bucks an hour or so.

See the 1.8L guys can follow the bore and stroke (at least close) as the 4g94 to become our version of a stroker. The same with the 1.6L MIVEC who stroker it using specs off the 4g93 (rumored to be done in Malyasia - I have no solid proof of its existance).

Of course, there will be some side affects of losing rpm. How much? It will be dependent on math and physics.

As for the possibility of a stroker 4g94, I don't know. No one to my knowledge has opened the engine up and compare parts with the 4g93.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Also, this might be the last gen of the 4g9x family, but I do see the possbility of Mitsu creating a 2.2L 4g95 at absolute max. There won't be enough room to create a bore and stroke to match a 2.4L using the same block.

Within a dozen yrs or so, Mitsu will have to create a new 4 cyl family, unless parts raiding off the Neon. ewwww!
Old Dec 19, 2002, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

We can prolly contact RPW I had spoken to dave about restroking a while back and he stated he had the parts for it. Here is something to ponder Imagine a restrked 2.2 4g94 with a mivec head It can be done according to Dave and It would be a N/A Monster the difficult part would of course be finding a post 1997 mivec head (specifically) and NON MIVEC-MD I tried this route but realized for money + downtime = no good for me I need to finish my other car before I can go into upgrades for my lancer
Old Dec 19, 2002, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

MIVEC-MD is a crap motor.

Yes, a 2.2L MIVEC can be done, but I don't really understand the physics behind the success of the 2.2L Prelude w/o losing rpm.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Everything I read about the Prelude engine (is the designation H22? I can't remember) seems to point to it being a major exception of all rules of autmotive physics and engine behavior. Definitely not a normal engine in any sense of the word, and hard to compare it to anything else.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

any one have any thought about swapping with a J-Spec Mirage motor...I was thinking the 4G61 Turbo motor from an 88-89 j-spec mirage......I know where I can geton real cheep........
http://www.nippon-motors.com/mitsubishi.htm they have a good selection of motors
Old Feb 27, 2003, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by IUP200
any one have any thought about swapping with a J-Spec Mirage motor...I was thinking the 4G61 Turbo motor from an 88-89 j-spec mirage......I know where I can geton real cheep........
http://www.nippon-motors.com/mitsubishi.htm they have a good selection of motors
The 4G61 Mirage 1.6 turbo motor, like the EVO I-III and DSM 4G63, is located on the "other" side of the engine bay as compared to 5G Mirage and the new Lancer. So it will be much harder to swap that engine in....
Old Feb 27, 2003, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

cool thankx for the info......what about a 4g93 turbo motor..?????????
Old Feb 27, 2003, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

The 4G93 turbo, there are two phases, just like the 4G63, you will have to find the right engine for the corresponding chassis.

See my signature for more info
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by IUP200
what about a 4g93 turbo motor..?????????
the 4g93 < is not turbo unless you make it, you might be talking about the 4g92mivec...

ohh about the 4g93, nope wont fit! the mounts of the lancer and further back than the mounts on the mirage! it can probably be done if you throw in the whole engine and tranny, and fabricate custom tranny mounts!
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BoricuaMIRAGE

the 4g93 < is not turbo unless you make it, you might be talking about the 4g92mivec...

ohh about the 4g93, nope wont fit! the mounts of the lancer and further back than the mounts on the mirage! it can probably be done if you throw in the whole engine and tranny, and fabricate custom tranny mounts!
There are 4g93T overseas. They are Lancer GSR, not EVO GSR.

Why would a lancer owner want to lose displacement? That's a downgrade. I'm sure a 4g94 can fit in a mirage. Both use the same block and tranny as a cost saving measure from Mitsu.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4G94 can only be stroked to 2.15L...any more then that and the cylindar walls are too thin.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 06:44 AM

DOHC conversions

Just on the topic of DOHC conversions. I live in Aus and drive a lancer with a 4g92 (1.6L SOHC not the mivec) and most parts are swapable from the 4g93 (and vice versa) so i can't see a single reason why you couldn't swap parts to your 4g94 engine form the 4g92/3 engines.

There are 2 cars that you could get a DOHC head off that sould fit on the 4g94 and both those cars use the 4g93 block. The first car is the Proton Gti (pretty much a aus mirage with a better engine and body kit) it has a 4g93 DOHC N/A making about 105kw at the fly, the next car is the lancer GSR (not an evo) it comes with a 4g93 DOHC turbo making around 140-145kw at the fly wheel. Both these options would be much cheaper than a mivec head converion. But the Proton may very hard to find and then import to the US, you would have much better luck finding the GSR head

As for a compleat engine swap. The engines I've listed where built into pre 1996 chassies after that the engine 'swapped sides'. They did make a GSR after 1996 but were only brought out in japan, the demand them is also very very high as most people in aus cant afford 1996+ evo engine, so this swap would be the next best thing.

Just my $0.02

CAL.

Quick Reply: potential engine swap?