Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

What oil to use

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fram sure drain is a replacement for you drain plug. The system has 2 parts, one being the plug with a valve, the other being a hose and a mechanical actuator for the valve. It enables you to drain the oil from the pan directly into quart bottles, etc. to dispose of (allows you to stop draining your oil when the bottle is too full), and doesn't require any tools once installed. I spent $13 on mine at Autozone, but I've seen it advertised as low as $9... Hope the explanation helps.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:05 AM

hey Nile, I've heard of the amsoil stuff. I've only heard good things about it. A friend of mine swears by it. He uses it in his 95 camaro ss, and his 01 dodge dakota sport. It supposedly keeps a lower temp than your average synthetic oil and its also very affordable. On the site you can order their highest grade stuff for about $8 a quart. It's supposed to be good for 1 yr. or 35,000 miles. I don't think I would keep it in that long, but at $8 a quart, I could afford to change it often. They also put a warranty on the oil and your engine. If the oil causes your engine to seize or any other problems where the oil is a direct cause of it, they pay to replace or repair you engine.
www.amsoil.com
Old Dec 5, 2002, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used amsoil 0w-30 series 2000 for two oil changes. I went 5000 miles on the first and 4000 on the second. I'm going to switch back to Mobil 1 though, as the Amsoil is a bit expensive. (I'm sure they do the same thing ) I will say that the Amsoil stayed very clean looking up till 5000 miles. my friend at the local jiffy lube said it looked as if I could put another 5000 miles on the oil without a problem. just my two cents.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

i only need 4qt..but its a box and come w/ 6 bottle
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

my next oil change is not till i reached 6800 miles...
...im only up to...5500..
i get regular check up w/ my dealership...
last time i went i had 3500 miles on it..
not sure what oil they used...when i checked it today...
seems a lil too black(ish) ...thikin bout going in the next weekend..for another checkup/tune up...
ill prolly try that amsoil...30/50 bucks is not much
when it comes to that kind of stuff...
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
More than likely, they use conventional oil made by castrol or valvoline if you have it done at the dealership. If you live in NY they probably use 5w-30 for the colder environment.