Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

What oil to use

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2002, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What oil to use

i went to get my oil changed as i do normally so the owner comes up to me and we start talking cars...then he tells me about Royal Purple...sounds gay but im open minded... so i go into reading it and i was amazed, could it be? since then i havent really noticed a big diffrence but my car does run a little more smoothly. the problem was it was like 70.00 bucks! FAWK!!! i havent ever paid that much for an oil change...Did i get ripped off?
Old Nov 29, 2002, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.royalpurple.com/
Old Nov 29, 2002, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

I saw this stuff on Speedvision. the guy changed the oil and tranni with this RP stuff.. It gave the car an extra 10 hps on the dyna. So no I don't think you got ripped off.. I'm thinking of doing it myself as i'm about 20 miles and 3 days over my next change.

What oil wieght did you get btw??

I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Old Nov 30, 2002, 02:15 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like an expensive mod in the long run. $70 every 3 months for 10hp? How much does the oil alone cost? Might be worth trying since I change my own oil, but for now I'm happy using Valvoline or Castrol, since they're not parafin based. Gee, I'm too cheap to get synthetic, let alone some royal stuff
Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't see gains from oil being realized to often simply due to the fact that most motors are relatively efficient. Knife edging the crank would probably be the only way to wield true results time after time.
Old Nov 30, 2002, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by urbanknight
sounds like an expensive mod in the long run. $70 every 3 months for 10hp? How much does the oil alone cost? Might be worth trying since I change my own oil, but for now I'm happy using Valvoline or Castrol, since they're not parafin based. Gee, I'm too cheap to get synthetic, let alone some royal stuff
remember it's synthetic so you can go about 2.5 times the normal run of regular oil.. so 70 bucks ever 6 months wouldn't be that bad. Plus really good oil will pay off in the long run with less wear on the engine and pieces that like to rub together..
Old Nov 30, 2002, 01:44 PM

i haven't heard of this royal purple stuf, is it better than redline and motul? as far as i know those are the best oils out there
Old Nov 30, 2002, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

it seems to run a lot more smoothly at higher revs...but that may just be me hoping that my 70 bucks was worth it.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 08:15 PM

It's just you. Really, for the money, you're better off changing your oil more often than buying hyped-up products like this.

I'd rather have fresh oil in my system than oil that is "still good" after three months.

As for horsepower claims, well they're just that. Hell, even if they do it on speedvision, it's still an advertisement. Unless you were to pull a car up to the dyno, give it an oil change, warm up the oil/engine, run off a bunch of runs, then give it another oil change with Royal Purple and immediately warm it all up and do a bunch more runs to see what the difference was, it wouldn't be very scientific. You'd probably see just as much variance from running a car with different oil weights.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

anyone hear about amsoil? some ppl say its good i never heard of it have any of you??? im in fer an oil change and its winer time anyone have any particular #s to get?? the cartons say like 5w and 10w im not too sure about oils

NiLe C.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

I'll just keep with my Valvoline Durablend and my Bosch premium filter every 3,500... I spend $12 on a Fram Sure-Drain... If you're changing your own oil, I highly recommend it... Now if only there were a way to change the filter without it dripping all over the place...
Old Dec 1, 2002, 09:12 PM
In Timeout

What is a Fram Sure drain. Also, I see none of you guys really try Mobile 1 Full Synthetic.... goooood stuff seriously.. and not out of our reach for cars and often oil changes!
Old Dec 1, 2002, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

im currently using Mobile 1 new supersyn..and yea i always have em..cant tell the different..but i belive that u pay for what u get it cost like 30 bucks for 6 qt which is more expensive than all other oil..so they should be good
Old Dec 2, 2002, 09:43 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'd like to dyno my car with my simple Valvoline, then try Royal Purple and dyno it again. That would help settle Nero's question. And Sten, that's a good point. Now that I finally found a car I love and care about, I might actually switch to synthetic to make it last longer. Hey, that may sound mushy, but finding a good car is almost as hard as finding a wife!

And Will, do you use all 6 quarts for a single oil change??? Because mine only uses 4

Last edited by urbanknight; Dec 2, 2002 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

do you really need to make that kind of advancement in oil. i mean i dont cheap out and go with anything, i use a standard synthetic blend by castrol and i run just fine. it doese seem a bit much for just oil unless your running pro circuit or into some serious racing 70 bucks can get you half way to a t.b. or some other better mods like for 50 bucks get the densos thier great