Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Need more power

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more power

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Es with a 2 and 1/4" exhaust cat back and an aem cold air intake. What can I do next to get more power out of my car any ideas?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I take it no one on this forum wants to help out.........................
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Evodreamer28: You have 3 options if you want big power. All the bolt-ons in the world aren't going to make the Lancer _really_ quick , so I would do one of these three.

1) Nitrous Oxide: This is very dangerous on the lancer. If you are going to do this, I would recommend a "wet-shot" setup, forged rods, forged pistons, and no more than a 40hp shot. That's still dangerous, but lancer engines are cheap.

2) Forced Induction. Get an intercooled turbo kit or a supercharger kit. This can be expensive, but it probably the most reliable way to make decent power on the lancer. I'd also recommend forged pistons and rods.

3) RRM is working on some higher compression internals. This should boost hp quite a bit. Keep an eye out for them, as I believe they are coming soon.

- Jason

4) P.S. This is a 4th method, but nobody has tried it. http://www.mmrusa.com/gudehead.htm has a "head swap" that claims a minimum of 40-58whp... that's the equivilant to 55-70crank-horsepower increase.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If you want to, you can simply get all the bolt ons, so header, intake manifold, throttle body, piggy back ecu and see how you like it then. If you still want more go with what lancerOZ said, as he said though, STAY AWAY FROM NOS. Should also consider doing some suspension mods. They can make the car "feel" faster.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help that head package looks like a pretty good deal.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

you waited a whole 9 minutes and complained?....funny guy, be patient man
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, ambystom01 has a ggood point.

You might want to try all the popular bolt-ons (intake manifold, throttle body, header, intake, downpipe+catback, pully, wires) and then either get the RRM piggy back (a light "tune") .... or, you could spend the money on a fully customized EMS and have it tuned to optimize your exact mods. All of those bolt ons + a custom tuning w/ stand-alone computer can add big numbers too... it's just really expensive and time consuming.

- Jason

P.S. To clarify, the RRM piggy-back computer is a little black box that will change the way your car was "tuned" from the factory. It's similar to a fully customizable EMS, just much more primitive and simple. Basically with a full EMS you can change the "tune" to match any mods you add, or tune it to be more or less aggressive for different driving situations and octanes.

Last edited by LancerOZ; Nov 24, 2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry Guys when it comes to my car I get kinda crazy. I want power and I got the money to do it I just need some feedback about what companies are worth the money.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Evodreamer28: Dood, go for the head swap by montaray motorsports if you have $1600 to spend. Nobody has done it yet, and you'll be a hero because you can review it for us. If it really does add a minimum of 40 WHEEL-horsepower, then, that's damn good. With an extra 40whp you would be smoking a lot of cars under $25k.

Personally, that's the route I plan on going.... a complete head swap by montaray motorsports... if I still want more hp I can add a turbo kit and my lancer would be a highway monster.

- Jason
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I know that would be cool dood and I got the cash, but im just kinda skeptical because just like you said there are no reviews or anyone who has had it done up to this point and time. I will see what happens in the next couple months and I will probably end up doing this because thats a pretty decent gain in hp.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 08:31 AM

If you have the money.. why not get an EVO..
Old Dec 3, 2004, 08:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evopimp
If you have the money.. why not get an EVO..
Gee, maybe because he already has a Lancer. Having a few grand for mods and selling your car for a $30k car are SOMEWHAT different.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

true that.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ

1) Nitrous Oxide: This is very dangerous on the lancer. If you are going to do this, I would recommend a "wet-shot" setup, forged rods, forged pistons, and no more than a 40hp shot. That's still dangerous, but lancer engines are cheap.
No a dry shot would be better because even the rods and pistons will break the lancers still has a thin cylinder wall, a dry shot won't be as bad on the cylinder walls.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:03 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
you waited a whole 9 minutes and complained?....funny guy, be patient man
My thoughts exactly, although I've seem worse. Like, 4 or 5 minutes
Also, this question gets posted almost every week, so some of the hardcore tuners tend to skip it and go to the more technically merited threads. The information is out there, but you gotta look around. Not sure if it's still on this site, but RRM had a nice article on what they thought was the most logical sequence in modding a car.

Quick Reply: Need more power