Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

300 Hp

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont forget pistons
Old Dec 18, 2002, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

if you got new cams then you don't necessarily need new cam gears... the new cams would already have the advance/retard you want ground in. Though the cam gears give extra tunability.

What you definitely need is a real engine management solution. Bolt ons line RRFPR and SAFC might work, but if you're going to go turbo and push high HP, you will be doing yourself a huge favor moving to an aftermarket ECU.

You probably only need the upgraded valve springs if you're going to push the rev limit higher and start to get valve float. Or if your new cams warrant stiffer springs for some reason.

And the internals might need to be stronger or balanced, especially again if you're pushing up to higher RPM regions.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just dont get WebCams valve springs they are garbage.
I busted 3 of them, yes THREE of them. My eclipse was running like this for about 2 months (with 13 working valves) heh still pulled pretty hard too, except for horrible vibration @6500+rpm

Later when I rebuilt the head, I noticed that I had pieces of valve springs all over the inside of my head! Pieces of crap.. I should have sent them back to WebCams and got my $ back. Luckily I didn't bust anything else in the head.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'm agreeing with what "WRX" is saying here.....but hey everyone has their cars that they wanna power up. The kinda power you are talking about, its gonna take alot to get that outta a lancer, too much in my opinion, but to each their own. I would just take the money, save it and by a real evo when it gets here trade in your lancer then apply the "performane" money to that.......then you would be talkin some seriousgains, but then again thats just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly. You have to be realistic when creating that kind of power. If I were you, I would get the basic intake/exhaust yada yada and call it good. Drive your car and enjoy it.

Hey Mobius, does your T28 spool pretty good? I had a T28 a long long time ago. Freakin compressor housing leaked like a **** though. I wish I would of had a working specimen because I hear they spool up QUICK! And can pound out 18+psi wheras the T25 would just be flowin' HOTT air...
Old Dec 18, 2002, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my T28 spools at like 2,800-3,000 almost no lag.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

yeah!!! HEHEHE try just over 3k. I have forced performances big t28, I know they had it set at something like 21psi and that crap flew what was it, pulled high 11's..mines set at 15. The only thing I dont like about it is that it spools too quickly (if you call that a problem ) you have to be careful or you get nuthin but wheel spin. But hey it's fun. Im getting new injectors and an AFC, new pump to take full advantage off it. I plan on getting this stuff after the holidays, xmas sucked all my money away!! But for the time being I am liking it...just taking my upgrades one day at a time ya know
Old Dec 18, 2002, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Let's start from outside in: a good sized turbo, T-28 at least. T3 would be nice.

-Bigger fuel injectors (stock runs -/+ 5 90% at 8lbs!!! Would hate to have that freeze up on me)
-Uprated fuel pump and pressure regulator. Possibly a bigger rail as well.
-Definitely a turbo cam with uprated springs etc. Cam gear for some advancement and tune-ability.
-Decompress the head to apply more boost.
-Completely redone engine internals. Forged EVERYTHING.
-Port n' polish for some easy flow.
-Big intercooler.
-True engine management. E-Manage would be nice, but I'd be more content with a complete ECU replacement.
-Dyno time for it all.
-An LSD and probably strengthened driveshafts.
-Uprated clutch, flywheel, pressure plate.
-A real suspension (Tein SS, JIC FLT-A2)
-Wads and wads of cash.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 05:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Don't forget more wads and wads of cash.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

If my "calculations" are correct, it would take low double digits to get your crank hp at 300, and for wheel hp, call it 15 psi, and the modifications to keep your engine from blowing it apart when you hit peak. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

did the caluculations after streetlancer posted and i hate to say it ..but .. my car sux......... lol .... it'll curenntly (the way **** is priced) cost $13,865... and loadsssssssss of downtime... so for me this is not doable as i use my car for daily driving ...
03 lancer @300whp -17k plus 13k for mods =30k

Here's and idea though..... it's a little more realistic/practical/cost efficeint, if and only if we get that 2.4 lancer with the 160hp in 2004 .. i figure then it'll only be arround 8-10K maybe less.
"04 lancer" @300whp - 18k(assuming they say it's under 20k and you bargain like a ****) plus 10k = 28k

and the easy way would be ... to wait until mitsu dealers realize that nobody in their right mind will pay 10k above msrp in this economy.... and begin selling the EVOs below msrp (i say arround august 03) pick one up for about $28,500 then just drop another 2K ... and there you have it 300+hp and a damn good car that'll hold it down...
EVO (aug 03) @300hp = 29k plus 2k in mods= 31k

all prices include labor and all the pot and you'll be needing.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Doesnt the new EVOVIII have at least 270hp (so is rumored). There is no way you are really gonna need 2k to get 30 more ponies out of it. Buy a boost controller for $50 (Halman or a Joe P) manual. I am sure you can get a few more PSI out of the stock turbo. Of course then go for an upgraded intake. These add way more ponies than on a N/A car, hell on an eclipse it's said to give you 10hp. So by slappin on a K&N conical (when parts become available) filter it can get you at least 7-10hp. Just right there youre gonna get youself at least 20 horses and you have only spent 50 for a manual boost controller and what no more than 150 for a K&N filter setup. That right there is less than 300 bux.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

oh wow ... the number one reason i hate posting so i forgot the add a + sign on my comment..... you automatically think i meant 300 straight for 2k ...... bro you could have just read when i said 300+hp earlier......... and the 2k was to bring the prices to arroung the same range if you haven't figure out yet that i was comparing something..... please don't talk to me like i drive a hon-duh okay....
just wish people would just read and try to understand rather than looking for errors to exploit so they look like "cool" or whateva ... i see this tooo damn often............

and i know some smartass is going to say .. why don't you edit your post man ....... sorry but it's a forum .. not english 101...

anyways thats my rant... adn i don't/ expect anyone to respond to it.. it's just a rant... leave it at that........ if i wasn't so
i wouldn't have bothered but it bugs sometimes
Old Dec 18, 2002, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

300 HP at flywheel or at wheel is too high of a goal. It's like asking a 'tegra GS or GSR shooting towards 300 HP NA. It's very hard, and it might involve reshaping the cyl head by welding more material.

200 Flywheel is a more reasonable goal for NA. Ask those all-motor H&A guys how much effort, money, and brain power goes into R&D for a 1/4 NA monster. A ton. Eventually, they'll reach a bottleneck in performance, and every new mod will give you little increments of HP/TQ.

300 HP is a goal for 6 bangers and very conservative V8's.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

All I can say is: Sky's the limit.

But don't say anybody failed to warn you about the time, money and effort. Because if you let either of those slip in the mix, then the sky will be the limit for parts flying out of your engine.

Good luck on the bumpy road to 300.

--- Kei

Quick Reply: 300 Hp