Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

300 Hp

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2002, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well technically you should get more HP if you have an intercooler and no turbo because it does cool the air off...colder air yields more power.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Colder air does yield the potential for more power than a hotter charge, however if you did run an intercooler without a turbo you would lose horse power and not gain horse power.

This is because the intercooler would act as a restrictor to the air flow. And it wouldn't really cool the air temp. because the air flowing through the intercooler isn't compressed and therefore isn't heated.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blah blah blah... keep it on topic. Just kidding.

Though, I have to respond to the whole 2.5 thing... it is, again, a totally different beast due to the fact that it is a boxer engine, which means that it acts in a wholly different manner, and responds differently. It's like comparing an inline 6 and a flat 6 or V6. Same amount of cylinders doesn't mean a similar reaction to various pokes and prods.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 03:47 AM
Account Disabled

a miracle...
Old Dec 29, 2002, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

someone was saying 2k for quad tb or 4k for turbo, but also remeber you have to get a computer for the quad tb setup, those can cost 5-10k, i was thinking about getting quads but i found out the cheaper computers like the aem won't handle them because most of them are only 2 channel and you would need a 4 channel computer, but then i looked at the picture of the quads that someone posted in this tread and they were all in one box connected to one air intake pipe, so would you only need one air sensor and if thats true would the aem computer work with it since its only like $800, not cheap but less than multiple thousand dollar ones.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ratboy128
someone was saying 2k for quad tb or 4k for turbo, but also remeber you have to get a computer for the quad tb setup, those can cost 5-10k, i was thinking about getting quads but i found out the cheaper computers like the aem won't handle them because most of them are only 2 channel and you would need a 4 channel computer, but then i looked at the picture of the quads that someone posted in this tread and they were all in one box connected to one air intake pipe, so would you only need one air sensor and if thats true would the aem computer work with it since its only like $800, not cheap but less than multiple thousand dollar ones.
As I've said before, I'm of the opinion that you should get a computer for the turbo setup, too. Of course that's an expensive addition to the shopping list, but it will let you squeeze out more performance.

And by the time you were to add a rising rate FPR, SAFC, and knock sensor with ignition retard, you're probably a good way towards the money of a true standalone system that would let you define your own maps anyways.

And I Think you're right, you only need one airflow sensor on that quad setup because you can put it before the TB butterflies. That's what's done on your car with only one TB, so I don't see why you couldn't extend it to a quad setup. Now if you didn't have a common plenum before the TBs, you'd have to set something up with multiple sensors.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetLancer
Blah blah blah... keep it on topic. Just kidding.

Though, I have to respond to the whole 2.5 thing... it is, again, a totally different beast due to the fact that it is a boxer engine, which means that it acts in a wholly different manner, and responds differently. It's like comparing an inline 6 and a flat 6 or V6. Same amount of cylinders doesn't mean a similar reaction to various pokes and prods.
My only point in bringing up the 2.5RS motor was to point out that someone turbo'd their 2.5RS to almost 300WHP and did it on completely stock internals. The point is that when you go turbo you don't necessarily need to add forged, balanced, shotpeened, etc. etc. internal parts.

In the case of that RS, the money saved by not buying all those internals could easily help pay for the standalone ECU that was used to tune all that extra power.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

but with the lancer you need all those forged , balanced, and shotpeend internals because we can't run 50 shot of nos w/o breaking our pistons
Old Jan 2, 2003, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

The Suby's internal is a lot stronger than the lancer's internal. It's like comparing internals of a dsm to our. no contest.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 07:10 PM
EvoM Guru

New to the game of Lancer but am deeply involved. Built internals, LSD, Clutch, Port-Polish/matched, Hogged out intake man, Bigger TG, header, no cats, muffler,and suspension upgraded all around(Not tien/eibachs and bars). Last thing will be turbo withing next few months. In all actuallity found only flaw in lancer to be pistons. Rods are i-beam design so they will hold 300hp no problem. The problem is in people trying to run over 6k. Just not possible with the rods! Definately not with possible with pistons. As for NOS... STAY AWAY FROM IT! Blew the hell out of mine twice with it. That is why went to forged pistons. Won't reach the 300HP goal some have but 250HP is easily reached. With that in mind a 200HP lancer pulled a 14.2 @99mph. That was spinning one all the way practically. As soon as i get some dyno's done(after turbo install) i'll let you know how close i get to the 300HP! $$$$$$$
Old Jan 2, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

"Rods are i-beam design so they will hold 300hp no problem. The problem is in people trying to run over 6k."

Let's do the math. Do you think the stock lancer's conrods can take the abuse of +15 psi towards the 300 HP barrier via TC? That's crazy!

If so, I wonder how many TC lancers on this board is going to follow your theory or test or tempt fate on the strength of factory rods. Unfortuantely, the 4g9x parts aren't bulletproof like DSM parts.

The 1.8L mirage can get to 6500 rpm with shorter conrods, and they'll bend on a consistant basis hammering 12-13 psi. There are no exceptions.

Here's a pic of stock 1.8L conrods vs pauter's. you can see the difference!

BTW: I'm not going to vouch against your parts. Be aware, skeptics will Q you on them when they have a hard time finding themselves.

Last edited by bahamut; Jan 2, 2003 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 08:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Bummer on those rods but i'm not talking about boosting 15psi. I'm talking about 8psi with some engine mods that make it worth wild... like lower compression ration... oversized piston...and best yet not cramming so much into your engine that you'll granade it without thinking. As i stated i'm going for a realistic 250HP. Which should be handled by the rods w/o any problem??? I hope!! Have nothing happening yet. 15PSI is totally raced. If you run 15PSI all day you better have the greatest parts in your ride-that i'll concede! 8PSI is the realistic limit for both the injectors and engine internals. Sorry for any confusion! GEEEZZZZZZ!!
Old Jan 2, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

well it would make no sense to rip apart the engine and not replace the rods if your going to replace everything else. even with a 250 hp goal you should still replace the rods to be on the safe side. no one really knows what the 4G94's rods can handle but since they are slightly longer then the 4G93 and about the same thickness they are more likely to bend. its like taking a one foot 2x4 and laying it flat between 2 chairs and standing on it. its not likely to bend much but the longer it gets the more likely it will bend.

Also if you decompress the motor your going to have to put more then 8 psi to make 250 hp even with the port and polish and all the other stuff. Since your decompressing it would only make more sense to increase boost to over 8psi or else there would be no reason to decompress.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

I have finally polished up the engine pics that I have taken on the TC mirage in O-town. 4-6 months ago - down and out with blown parts. Unknown status now.

As for the Q on boring the 4g94 a bit more, I can safely say the 4g94 has reached its max bore w/o sleeving it.

The 4g93 bore & stroke = 81.0 x 89.0.
The 4g94 bore & stroke = 81.5 x 95.8

Look at the 2nd pic. Let's visualize the distance between the cyl walls.

I'm 5'9". Look at your thumb. See the part when your thumb starts to curve. That's the distance between the 4g93's 81mm bore . . . the curving part and above.

WARNING: There will be tremendious difference in size comparision if you're 5'2" or 6'4".

Now, wipe away .5 mm for each cyl on that pic for the 4g94. You'll see that the cyl walls are starting to look thin. How thin? Don't know until someone tears into the 2.0L block and takes pics.

Therefore, there shouldn't be any possibility of oversized pistons for the lancer. Another word, I do believe the 4g9x block ends with the 4g94 . . . no hope for a 4g95 being a 2.2L . . . here come parts sharing with future neons that the lancer will go away from the ancient mirage. The writing is on the wall that was dictated by Mercedes CEO on creating a global car.

Last edited by bahamut; Jan 2, 2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 02:21 PM
EvoM Guru

I need say that i had to go .020 over after blowing my engine a second time due to fu@#!!! NOS! I personnally know one person who has done this and is running 8lbs of boost all day!! Can't speak for his internals but she never runs hot. Thus i believe a .020 cut is fine... as for any further i'd have to agree the limit has been reached on the 4g94. It is really close in there! Currently i've mine running on 6lbs all day with no problems. Of course the engine is built up a bit as well as drivetrain. When i get some numbers i'll post them. Looks like she will be around 245hp with about 205-15 at wheels. That isn't bad at all for the car considering what little can be done to it that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Without serious work it will never reach to 300hp nor the 11's for that matter. Mid 13's is my estimate for now. Of course as soon as she is all tuned and on a track i'll know for fact.

Quick Reply: 300 Hp