Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

start up problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
start up problems

ok, i drove to skool and i drove home 5 hrs later. when i got home i noticed that it started idling weird i was like wtf (thought to my self ok, prob just the battery or something) i turn off the car go inside for about a couple of hrs and now i'm on my way to work. i go start the car and it wouldn't start so i thought it was the battery, had my freind come over and jump it but that wasn't the issue. the car sounds like its going to start than does, so i continue and add a lil gass to the motor. nope. no start. it sounds like a misfire but the motor just never turns on, you hear the exaust a lil (misfire) lil sound comin out repeatly with a couple sec intervals. so that i said **** iti'll fix it tommora my friend drove me to work. i got home at1 and i started the car and it did the same so i add some gas and it started to start so i keep adding gas and it finally starts and it stays, it stays on and just hovers over 2k rpm (i also resetted the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a lil) everything is fine now the car runs. but what caused this problem... something needs to be changed?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Better have it checked out by the dealer. You still have warranty right? It could be numerous things that caused that to happen. It will more than likely show up again very soon, so I'd get it checked out.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:53 PM

how many miles do you have on the car? because u might wanna check the plugs...it sounds funny... but im not kidding..happend to me, plugs went bad early
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

i do not hae warranty, i have like 46k miles, i'll take a look at the spark plugs thx
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

look at his avatar... im sure he still has his warrenty

edit: sorry for the
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

oops was 2am when I posted. zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

ok i checked the spark plugs, there were black, my car was running to rich and it also reaked of fuel. so i let it air out and i put them back in and it struggle to start and it didn't start till my 2nd try. ok car started n now my ecu has to reset due to me disconnecting the battery. so i let it sit for some time about an hr because i was playin with the system. ok now the car idles just above 500 rpm i'm like wtf. i reved it too 2.5k rpm and let it sit a lil maybe it would help clean out the system and etc ok the car idles just a lil under 1k rpm now. so i went for a drive, driving normaly and now it idles at 5-600 rpms now. so wen i got back i thought ok its prob just the spark plug. i turn off the car to c if it would start no problem. struggles. i guess i should just get new plugs ? but idk if i aired out the plugs n still run like this. am i having fuel flooding problems?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 07:04 PM

change the plugs, and if your running a regulator, you might wanna see if thats going bad.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New plugs and after its warmed up do a compression check just to eliminate any valve or piston issues. Compression should be 180-200 range. If your in there then it's either the plugs or the fuel pump is going out on you. That's were i'd start.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

ok now my car doesnteven start. sounds like its going to but it doesn't. idk anyone have any answers to my weird idling problem stated before.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 05:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try to do a cold compression check and let us know what you get... cold you should be about 160 or higher. If your below that then you more than likely have a bad piston.

If your compression is good then check for a bad fuel pump... if you're using a bigger pump other than stock just try borrowing a stocker to see if it runs. If it does then there's the issue.

Keep us posted.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

ight cool i'll c what i can do