Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Rev Limiter

I just finished taking the rev limiter off my friends '01 dodge dakota and I was looking at my Lancer and its alot different which is expected, but I was wondering if anyone knew which wire was the rev limiter. Also, if anyone knows of any other ECU tricks or things like that let me know. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't really suggest taking it off all together. I imagine your friends dakota had a substantially larger engine than yours, it can handle a few more RPMs than our little 4 cylinders can. But what's the point of removing it on our engines? There's practically no power advantage to screaming it up that high above the powerband anyway
Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

the REV limiter is there for a reason...and taking it off without any tuning...would do more hurt to your car than anything....
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

lets say you're not a noob and have some ends to tune. here's a few untested suggestions.

look into getting a rev limit voltage clamp. basically a resistor circuit that tells your ecu you're still within rev limit when you're not. what YOU NEED for this is a piggyback that supports using readings from a pressure sensor to modify the MAS signal. a good an example of such units are the greddy emanage, splitsec unit, and a modified apexi SAFC. the only reason for this is because you can't rely on the RPM sensor to modify your fuel maps anymore. even if you can erase the rev limit, there wouldn't be any fuel maps in the stock ecu to feed fuel above the current rev limit without a reflash, and we all know no one does reflashes anymore.

not sure if this was ever discussed, but i don't mind putting the idea out there. a set of mods can actually bring power to or past 6k as my own dyno sheets indicate, although i'm not inclined to try this mod at the moment. i also don't mind hearing any noob horror stories in the future.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Ever since my first dyno sheet where the car was still making hp at fuel cut I have wanted to test this theory. The torque curve at that point though is spiralling downwards. Most people have said that torque gets you moving and hp keeps you moving but I'd think the car would feel really weak even if we could get the rev limit moved up a few rpm. I'm going to try to get a new dyno sheet after 2 plus years and a few mods to see where things are now.

It's too bad mitsu moved from the 65-7000 redline in the 4G93 but even those guys said the cars felt weak after 6200 rpm. I wish we could have atleast tested that if we had the option.

WADAD
Old Apr 19, 2005, 06:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully if we're patient, one of the two vendors who say "we're working on it" will come up with a flash...

As Wadad said, during my dyno run, the car was still gaining power until the guy let off.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WADADLIG_OZ
Ever since my first dyno sheet where the car was still making hp at fuel cut I have wanted to test this theory. The torque curve at that point though is spiralling downwards. Most people have said that torque gets you moving and hp keeps you moving but I'd think the car would feel really weak even if we could get the rev limit moved up a few rpm. I'm going to try to get a new dyno sheet after 2 plus years and a few mods to see where things are now.

It's too bad mitsu moved from the 65-7000 redline in the 4G93 but even those guys said the cars felt weak after 6200 rpm. I wish we could have atleast tested that if we had the option.

WADAD
When I was aspirated with simple mods (CAI, exhaust, bigger MAS, bigger TB, UDP etc etc), I made decent power, but past 6200 was useless. In several bouts, I tried rinsing out first gear, and it didnt make power past 6000 it felt like. Other times, I was up in 4th gear, and past 6000 - 6200 or so, the car seemed to ebb off power wise. I never did dyno aspirated but I dont know if raising the rev limit would be fruitful, unless you have mods to make power up in that range.

Unfortunately, I cant test this theory anymore.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AirQuez
but I dont know if raising the rev limit would be fruitful, unless you have mods to make power up in that range.

Unfortunately, I cant test this theory anymore.

Would a Cam qualify in that mod range?

WADAD
Old Apr 19, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Though a cam should put you over the top, I dont know if it will necessitate a raise in the rev limit though. You will make more power later but I dont know if it will be that much more. Also, it would have to be a fairly aggressive one to boot.

If I could persuade some aspiraterd Mirager to buy this RPW Stage 3 I have here, we could test this, but alas, Miragers are cheap bastards.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

You can hit up my review of the stage 1 cam I got. :https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=134541

The car makes good power at 6K. I know 200 rpm or so is not much but I still believe you could squeeze out some useable power with our cars if the rev limit could be extended.

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AirQuez
If I could persuade some aspiraterd Mirager to buy this RPW Stage 3 I have here, we could test this, but alas, Miragers are cheap bastards.
why not try and sell it to a lancer owner, the head is compatible
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

You'd need new valve springs and a good tuner with new engine management system to run that stage 3.

RPW recommends only going past stage 2 for full RACE applications.

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

You'd need new valve springs and a good tuner with new engine management system to run that stage 3.

WADAD
and that would be somebody like petey pab. marquez, hit petey pab up and see if he would be interested
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

i have a stage 2 and it makes mad power from bout 2500-limit. the whole time it just picks up and goes compared to what it did before. a rev limiter saves stock cars but i think that if i didn't have mine i would be much faster. keep in mind that 4g63's rev over 1000 rpms more than our car does. even the old ones. i think our car can pull 7000 rpms easy if its modded and modded correctly.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

WADAD
Yeah this one was from a quad-TBed Haltech powered Mirage.... alas, the project died ... nonetheless, I dont know if it would work in Lancers due to our differences in stroke lengths. I dont know if that has any bearing on the duration on the cams. I would have to compare a stock Lancer cam specs with that of a stock Mirage's. Regardless, I would have to find someone hardcore for real, like Mike said. Lemme research a stock Lancer cam more and see. I know the heads are the same.

On an off note, are there any ECU differences between the earlier and later Lancers? Speaking strictly on the Mirage front, the 97 ECU was more aggressive timing wise and fuel map wise, than the 98+. Additionally, it had no speed governor and when I did (albeit accidentally) bounce off rev one time while I was getting spanked by an Acura, the limiter kicked in about 7100 RPMs or so... any such luck on the big brother motor?

Quick Reply: Rev Limiter