Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Header Install

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would help, if RRM put together a list of what items
exactly should be in the box. So that way, when you
receive the package, you can check for hardware and
other items before performing the install.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 03:44 PM

Well, I called RRM and they are sending me the bolts. In the mean time, im using the bolts from my up and down pipe that I ordered from them a while back.

Overall im happy with the header. Theres only one thing that is bothering me which is a small noise coming from my car now. Sounds kinda like what happens when you lightly blow/suck in air in a straw. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak but my friend said he didnt feel any air coming from anywhere around the header and I did a small test that RRM suggested to take a piece of paper and move it around the bolts and stuff and if it flutters then its a leak. It didnt flutter at all, other than my hand kinda shaking.

Im gonna get new gaskets and stuff and also torque the bolts down this time. I couldnt find a small torque wrench anywhere so my friend guesstimated what 12 lbs would be, which isnt really that much.

Anyone know where I can get a small torque wrench? The Sears, Home Depot and Autozone dont have small ones, im gonna try NAPA tomorrow and see if they do but if all else fails, ill have to get one of teh interweb!

I give this header, a 4.5/5, RRM 4/5.

Oh, and for the O2 sensor, should I just leave it dangling there? Right now its kinda mashed between the rubber radiator pipe and the little part which the connector bolts to holding it in place. The wires are kind of taut but I can move them around freely. Im just more worried about the connector melting because its wedged between metal and the rubber radiator hose.

Update2~

After a bit of searching for pics of peoples headers to figure out where to stick my O2 sensor wiring, I found this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=header+pics

Basically it explains the same thing that im getting, the little noise dealie. I think I might have put the gasket on backwards ARR! Ill be fixing that tomorrow after I get an actual replacement gasket. And no CEL yet o.O I couldnt figure out how to install the MIL eliminator without cutting the wires and soldering them while underneath the car because I cant disconnect it from the car! The wires from the O2 sensor go to a rubber bung into the frame and thats not the connector. No big deal though, I can live with it.

Last edited by Malak; Apr 21, 2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, my car kinda makes that noise like there is an exhaust leak too.. but there isn't one I could find. I re-tightened everything, but no leaks. I think it is just because the exhaust is flowing thru it so fast and you can hear the sound of the engine firing through the walls of the header... i dunno. I know I put the gasket on correctly. Also, my O2 sensor wires are very tight. heh, no biggie.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:24 PM

Wiretap, whered you put the wiring for your O2 sensor? Im scared of this thing melting on me dangling around like it is haha.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Here.. i took a picture and made a little diagram with the red showing where my wire runs. Its ok.. that header doesn't get as hot as the stock manifold. Ceramic coating keeps it a little bit cooler.. but dont get me wrong, it is still hot. The O2 wire will be fine if you route it like I did.

Last edited by wiretap; Dec 11, 2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:38 PM

Sweet haha, thats how mine is chillen right now
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

cool.. it will be fine. Keep up the good work.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Is everything still cool no CEL come on?
Old May 5, 2005, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Mine never came on even with the turbo.
Old May 5, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

for some reason i put in a used O2 sensor and my CEL came one and after 40-50 miles it went off and then like 10 miles later it came back on.. i dunno why that happened.. does anyone know?
Old May 5, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Take it to autozone or advance auto parts and hook it up the the OBDII port to see what code you are throwing. It could be anything from a bad 02 sensor, to the header (since it has no cat) letting too many hydrocarbons thru and the sensor is picking it up. Probably nothing to worry about though if you are is running fine.
After I put the header on, my CEL came on after about 100 miles. I just took out the bulb in the gauge pod. lol. Runs perfect, better than ever.