Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Latest RPW cam installed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest RPW cam installed

I got my stage 1 cam from the post office yesterday. It came last week when I was out of town after a short delay from February 28th when I ordered it. RPW had not charged my CC until it shipped so there was no long wait it terms of that so that's great.

I got it installed today since I was waiting to get my timing belt and accessory belts changed all at once.

Install went smoothly and should not be any trouble for a mechanic who knows what they are doing. I paid someone to do this but that is just so I have that extra degree of safety since this is my only daily driver. There are a lot of bolts to come off.

Once everything was reinstalled we started the car and there was a loud ticking sound coming from the engine. The mechanic opening back up the valve cover to make sure everything was tight and after reinstalling and starting again the car made the same sound. He revved the engine and soon after a minute of running the ticking went away. From what I know and it is very little, the lifters that sit right on the valve springs seemed to need re lubricating. When they are somewhat dry after reinstallation they make a loud ticking sound. After the engine runs for a minute or two and they are re-oiled the car ran quiet again.

Idle with the cam had to be adjusted slightly because the car died if you revved the engine and let it idle down. Just starting it and letting it run it idled fine however although a little lumpy which is to be expected.

We did not reset the ECU so I'm hoping Mitsiman can tell me if that would make any difference or not, but first impressions for me are that the powerband is much smoother than before. The hole around 3500-4000 rpm is much less noticeable although still there. You still feel a surge after that point.

I did not do too much driving this afternoon after the cam install since I was caught in traffic but later on tonight I went out for a run and 3rd gear feels really strong. The car really wants to move good now in all the gears between 4500-6000rpm. I haven't lined up with anyone yet so we'll see later on when I hit the speedway.

Track times will tell for sure.
I hope this helps a bit if anyone is interested in getting a cam. I might need some more breather mods to take full advantage of the cam though such as TB and Manifold.

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

congrats wadad, cant wait to see your times. get a 93 mani for a cheap few hp.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Just a few more observations before I clean her up for the strip.

On the highway today the exhaust note seemed to have changed. It mellowed out some. Last week on vacation the hum from the exhaust drove me nuts. Today however it was less roaring and a more pleasing tone. I got my oil changed today also.

I had the AC running and the parasitic drag from the AC is not really noticeable. Hell the car feels faster with it on now than without it before the cam. HAHA I know this may be wishful thinking but hit the gas pedal and it goes. Maybe the ECU needed to do a little learning but I notice a big difference today.

Tonights the night...hopefully to end my project.

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

itll never end lol, then you will want low 15s
Old Apr 20, 2005, 02:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dam, nice man, congrats

btw, how much did install cost? naturally its a bit less cause you changed belts at the same time, but still
Old Apr 20, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

damn dude that sounds sweet
Old Apr 20, 2005, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Is there any breakin period for the new cam like there is on V-8's??

Keep us posted... sounds great though.

Do you think you'll dyno as well?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 05:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Don't you have emanage as well?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

No emanage but I wish.

I hate to be one of those people I read about that crash and burn but that's exactly what I did tonight. Install was 225 for the belts and water pump and extra 60 for the cam.

I ran a best of 16.655 which ironically I think is the same time the mirage guy who had a stage one cam ran. I had been asking him advice along the way about this cam. I tried harder and harder but ran slower and slower. My best 60 I got on the last run and it was a 2.393 the first two were 2.440 and the other a 2.474. I ran twice in 1 lane and then the last two in the opposite lane which I usually run best in.

After the first two runs frustration really was setting in.

Anyhow I didn't bother waiting around for the last chance to run, 4 was enough. Just around the corner from my house on the way home I didn't have the radio on and noticed a terrible rattling sound coming from up front. I was thinking about all the possibilities that I could have F.....D my motor up from trying so hard to run. On the way home the car still sounded great and felt good. Anyway, once I got home I popped the hood and low and behold there was a bolt loose on the inside of the power steering pulley atleast I think that is the power steering one. It's the very top pulley nearest to the front of the engine. I just got done tightening it back up. I am not sure if that could have had any parasitic effect on my runs but I didn't hear it until after I left.

Boe for sh.s and giggles I might have the car dyno'd on Friday if I can get a decent price. It will be a mustang dyno but not the original one I went on when I lived in Tallahassee. The mechanic said he might be able to get me a good deal for one pull there so I'll call him up to set it up for me.

I have more to say but I will post this and post the slips next.

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

I spent an hour cheating before I left.

I removed everything that wasn't bolted down in the car which I never do.

No spare, jack, tools or carpet and wood in the trunk. I removed the back seat bottom and the cushion underneath it. I took out the ash try in the center console, the glove box and the little change holder we have next to the hood latch. The car has never been lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lowered the tire pressure to 25psi like I usually do and for 3 of the launches I left around 3000rpm. One I went to atleast 4K which I think was the 2.474 60. There was a head wind when we started running and it was about 75 degrees starting off. Right now at 10:30 it's about 67 degrees so I'll guess that was where the last run was. I was hoping to catch some of the cold weather here in FL but it's getting warm now. My best times have been in 40-50 degree weather.

Anyway here are the times.

1st run---left lane
r/t-----.056
60----2.441
330---7.023
1/8----10.741
MPH---65.92
1000--13.957
1/4----16.655
MPH---83.90

2nd run---left lane
r/t----.020
60----2.440
330--7.047
1/8---10.816
MPH--65.17
1000-14.078
1/4---16.818
MPH--82.16

3rd run---right lane
r/t----.253
60----2.474
330--7.102
1/8---10.839
MPH--65.54
1000-14.075
1/4---16.782
MPH--83.44

4th run--right lane
r/t----.256
60----2.393
330--7.045
1/8---10.812
MPH--65.44
1000--14.054
1/4----16.766
MPH---82.81

The second run I shifted to 4th for the hell of it but it is not necessary for us.

Now that bolt thing really has me upset but anyway there you have it.

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

man sorry to hear that, i know the feeling. dont feel too bad, it really is something pretty insignificant in life even tho it is somethign important to us bc it is our hobbies. you know your times will improve anyways.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ok and last but not least I will say that I am surprised I did not run any in the 17sec range. I usually mess up one run and if you don't get just the right start you simply can't make up from it at the end. All runs were somewhat consistent but slow.

I'm really confused. Mitsiman had suggested before I got the cam that I might need to open up the exhaust further to 2.5 inches. I don't know if the new volume of air could have been enough to cause a bottle neck in the exhaust. Also if you look at RPW's website they recommend getting a TB and FPR done before the cam. I really don't want to spend anything more besides maybe a larger cat-back but there has to be a plausible reason.

HELP

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pgmike
man sorry to hear that, i know the feeling. dont feel too bad, it really is something pretty insignificant in life even tho it is somethign important to us bc it is our hobbies. you know your times will improve anyways.

Thanks Mike...I know how insignificant this is. I am a golf pro and had fallen on some hard times for a few years. I just recently re-signed with my sponsors on a 6 month deal. I got into the racing just for the competition to survive the down time. I love to compete. As you can tell I hate to lose even to myself.

After Friday I won't have much time for any of this anymore as I'll be traveling and concentrating on what I do best. I have to earn the right to extend my deal beyond the 6 month period so I'll have to refocus myself on that.

I've enjoyed this board and will pop in from time to time but if I can get the dyno done friday, I'll post it up for everyone's benefit.

Gotta go outside and put everything back in the car.

Take it easy

WADAD
Old Apr 20, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

did u ever reset the ecu by disconnecting hte battery?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 08:34 PM
Account Disabled

wait wait wait, you have no fpr, no cam gear, no emanage, and just a cai on the intake side?

this is starting to come together now. i talked to dave at rpw, and he basically to me to keep to this order if your going n/a:

Extractors & exhaust
throttle body and manifold
fuel pressure regulator
Greddy e-manage
camshaft & cyl head porting work
internal mods with 10.5 pistons woudl work very nicely. 11.5 : 1 woudl require very good fuel and tuning

just seems to me an emanage and fpr, although not necessary, will help you find your missing HP

Quick Reply: Latest RPW cam installed