Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Oil Change info

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change info

Hey all. Can someone tell me basics on changing oil? I know thats kinda vague but ive never done it before and ive done some other maintance stuff recently so i thought id give this a try. So basically where do i drain the oil? what should i drain it into? where can i take the drained oil? do i need to replace the oil filter? what type of oil should i use? that kinda stuff. thanks alot.

Nick
Old May 13, 2005, 10:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Underneath the engine, you'll find the oil pan. To the rear, is a plug. Using a crescent wrench or a 17mm wrench, you unscrew it. Oil will fly out.

Probably get a cheap oil pan. Or any pan that'll hold a gallon of liquid. Then dump it into something convenient, like a milk container.

Take it to Advance or AutoZone, etc. They will let you dump the old oil out for free.

Oil filter - change it every other time. Or everytime if you're **** like me. Part stores should give you the part number, but I know two part #s - K&N oil filter HP-1010; STP oil filter S6607.

Oil - some say dino, some say synthetic. Some people get whatever's cheap, others buy Mobil 1. It's up to you. Probably doesn't make a big difference. 5W-30 or 20W-50, depending on who you believe.
Old May 13, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get yourself an oilpan from Wallmart for like 10$. You'll be able to do something like 3-4 oilchange, then bring the pan to a Local Shop that will get rid of it for you. Then go buy another pan, and you're good for another 3-4 oilchange.
Old May 14, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

awsome, thanx guys.

nick
Old May 15, 2005, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

in regards to the oil filter...how hard is it to take off? i know on some cars they're wedged into a really small space...

i'm thinking of doing my own oil changes now...will i only need a jack and some stoppers (not sure what their called) to drain the oil underneath?

EDIT: sorry...I didn't mean to hijack the thread...but since we're both thinking of trying it out...it would help to know this info too
Old May 15, 2005, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

I guess you could use a jack, but I tend to use my dad's ramps. Damn, I should consider stoppers or whatever they are called for the rear tires.....in case the car rolls down the ramps....lol.................thats actually not funny, but I dunno, I do it all the time when I change my oil.
Its pretty simple actually.

When using a oil filter wrench (or....whatever the hell its called...haha....thing is shaped like an "O", dats all I know) to remove the oil filter, its pretty hard, cause the oil filter is in a pretty tight space. But ever since I started using K&N filters, you can use ....****....dammit...I swear I don't know the names of tools, this is sad....hahaha....but I think its the crescent wrench that Blacksheep mentioned, I think. You can take K&N filters off easy with it. You can tighten it easier as well. But all in all, changing oil and oil filter is pretty simple.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

oh yah, hey Blacksheep, you sure the part # for the K&N filter is 1010? I thought it was HP-1008.
Old May 15, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info teamemperor...i may try to change the oil next month.
Old May 15, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

heh....no prob....but I dun think I was too much help, but it's pretty easy once you start doing it over and over. I actually gotta change my oil as well soon.
Old May 15, 2005, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

yea the k&n filtter number is hp1010
Old May 16, 2005, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

the filter should come off by hand. just make sure when u install the new filter that ur not cranking it on as hard as u can. I believe 3/4 of a turn after its snug is what u want. I also rub oil around the filter seal to ensure that it seals correctly. Make sure u always install the washer on ur drain plug otherwise u will leak. And finally don't over tighten the drain plug, that metal is pretty soft and will get chewed up pretty quick. Thats about all the little dumb things u have to remember.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

^very good advice......oh yah, and I guess with 04's we gotta use a different filter or whatever.....I just check for the 02-03, you guys use 1010, but for my 04 I have to use 1008.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MitsuLancerTO
in regards to the oil filter...how hard is it to take off? i know on some cars they're wedged into a really small space...

i'm thinking of doing my own oil changes now...will i only need a jack and some stoppers (not sure what their called) to drain the oil underneath?

EDIT: sorry...I didn't mean to hijack the thread...but since we're both thinking of trying it out...it would help to know this info too
Ramps are safer than both the stock jack and the floor jacks (which both could collapse) If you use a jack it is a good thought to use a stand for either a perch or as brace to catch the car if it falls and the "stoppers" are called chauks.

Last edited by LancerOfOZ; May 17, 2005 at 06:16 AM.