Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

NA EGT Temp Comparison

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA EGT Temp Comparison

So I tapped my Kamikaze and put the EGT probe in I have had laying around for a year. Its in the #1 runner on the bend as it goes to the collector about 2" from the head. Its the first place the runner has a full diameter because it is pinched at the head and the probe would bottom out up there.

I just want to compare other NA temps against mine to see where gains can be made or maybe understand the whole idea of EGT tuning/reading a little better. So if you are NA and running an EGT post your temps at various speeds and lets see what we can make of it.

So far I have noted the following temps

I run 725F at idle.
I hit 1475F WOT.
Cruising at 75-80 mph its 1300F

Mods: short ram intake, kamikaze header/dp, RRM testpipe, Greddy caback, Apexi SAFC, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 190lph fuel pump.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; May 31, 2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old May 30, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure what your using to tune but just a egt gauge will not be suffecient enough to gain peak performance. They tell you to try and get the egt to the highest temp you can get to achive max performance but in acctuality cars do not always run best by setting them at max egt. You also need a wide band O2 sensor and use both to tune to achive max gains. Cars run best at different ranges. Just a thought
Old May 30, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Oh I have a blinky A/F gauge also. Its just that it cycles stoich while the egt goes from 725-1300F and to me that does not tell me much other than its safe.
Old May 30, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

you have one piece of the puzzle. I would sell the a/f gauge and get a wide band. I have the zeitronix. Its the cheapest one and is well worth it. www.zeitronix.com You will have everything you need to extract max hp out of your engine
Old May 31, 2005, 07:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn - this could be a good idea. When I get my EGT, I'll start posting up. We can use the first post as the main info spot (ala Rhyzin's dyno thread).

Airline - maybe list your mods as well? For simplicities sake?
Old May 31, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Short ram intake, kamikaze header/dp, RRM testpipe, Greddy caback, Apexi SAFC. Leftovers form the failed turbo project that may or may not make a difference, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and 190lph fuel pump.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Is that true that the probe for the EGT gauge gets wasted after 20k miles??
Old May 31, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gregivq
Is that true that the probe for the EGT gauge gets wasted after 20k miles??
I'll let you know in 3 years when I get another 20k on it.

I have heard that they can/will disinegrate especially when they are mounted up by the head. The closer to the head the more accurate reading but the higher risk of probe failure. If you are turbo and the probe breaks off and ends up in the compressor wheel that would REALLY suck. A lot of those guys put them after the turbo in the O2 housing. Placement is an endless argument.

To me the closer the better since you want to know the temperature of what is coming out of the cylinder.

I'll look at it before I put it away for winter, should rack up 5-6k on it by then.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

First I've heard of running an EGT full-time while aspirated. I'll try to get some comparative numbers NA for you, so you can see where you stand.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

dont forget that if the placement is different with what you are comparing the numbers could be different. IE if youa are 2 inchs away from the head and they put theirs in the dp you could have a couple hundered degree diffrences.