Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

02 Lancer OZ Rally? Potential??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The TEIN coilovers do fit the ES, you just need to buy the OZ front strut mounts and the strut bearings. The NEX come pre-assembled with their own steel mounts so they should bolt right in to either the ES or the OZ. Both systems come with struts, that is what distinguishes true coilovers with crappy ebay sleeves, which are not fit for any vehicle.
100% correct. The only issue with the NEX systems is they don't have mounts for the brake cables. If you search in the suspension section you'll see what I'm talking about. No one has complained about the build quality of them yet.

Originally Posted by ambystom01
A 4g93 manifold would need to be bored out to achieve its true benefit, plus you'll need to do some custom work (nothing too complicated, basically need to make a bracket and something else, do a search and it'll pop up), but with another manifold you can leave it at the shop and continue to drive your car.
You need to bore it out, otherwise what's the point. The only custom work is a bracket for the throttle cable (simple sheet metal work) and you need two short bolts for the throttle body to fit (Lancer has 2 short and 2 long, while the Mirage has 4 short).

All in all, I think going NA for speed on the Lancer is a waste. You don't have a good enough base to start off with. If you had a Ralliart, I would say NA might be a good option, because you have more to work with, not to mention more displacement. NA you need displacement, and the Lancer engine can't be enlarged any more than it already is (no boring out). Custom turbo route would be an option. Maxum17 put his together for less than $2000, as did AznFlip. I used to be RRM Stage 1, but now I'm selling the Lancer. I can say it was the best mod I did to the car bar none (spent $3300 on a used kit).
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

basically, if you stay n/a i dont think you'll be able to push much more than 160whp. so if you want to go faster on the street, as well as the track/strip, you'll want to save weight (toss out whatever you feel is not necessary). or you could start piecing together a turbo kit for fairly cheap, i had started to and then decided that i just wanted to stay n/a, now i really regret my decision, so do whatever you prefer.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

consider the amount of money u would have to spend to get even in the low 15's n/a almost as much as turbo if not more, and if ur in the 15's with a turbo u would have to be running 4-5 psi or be a crappy driver. So like they said the sad thing to say is that u bought a n/a economy car its going to take money to get that thing movin trust me if i had to start over again the most power for the money is turbo, NOTHING LIKE IT! Do your research and find out your cars limits i know them and alot of people have posted them or talked about the hard knock lessons myself and others have experianced getting this turd to smoke some pretty high end cars. Good luck.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Since everything has been covered in this and countless other posts, all I have to say, is that there is no way in hell that you are beating a modified GSX, not even if it was stock and leaking boost.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ive been wondering the same thing, i think that he just thought they were racing.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

^^^Especially being automatic.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

he also said the races lasted a half hour, so i'm guessing it was just jockeying on the xway.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I dont think it was a serious race. My brother has an 03 oz rally just like mine but its A/T and I kick his a** all the time.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Just go turbo and forget N/A. Its like the only way to go if you want to get over 160hp out of your engine.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lilazn64
Here's the scoop. I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer. The only mods I have done to it are Kamikaze Headers, RRM Test Pipe, Greddy Exhaust, Injen Intake, and Tein Springs.

Well... with these mods, I have been able to take on or keep up with a turboed Dodge Neon(not SRT4), a not so stock Eclipse GSX, a turboed Lancer, Mazda Speed 5, the new Pontiac Bonneville, and Golf GTi. hmmmmm....

At first, I was stunned and thought there weren't trying or something, but these little races go on for almost 30min or longer. These are few of the cars I encounter on my frequent trips up to my friend's lake house.

So, what I'm wondering is, is it worth turboing my car? My next mods I plan on doing are Aluminum Flywheel, Stage 2 Clutch, Bored Throttle bodies, Bored intake manifold, Reflashed ECU, and bigger brakes .

Leave me some opinions.
ROFL its nice that you are happy about modding your lancer but i gotta call BS on those kills. a n/a lancer keeping up with a modded GSX, GTI and turbo lancer
Old Aug 10, 2005, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

I kid you not. My friend owns the turboed lancer and I can pretty much keep up with him. The GTi I definately kept up with, unless it was just a Golf with a GTi emblem on it. As for the GSX, I don't know what was in it exactly, but all I could hear and see was an exhaust and an aftermarket BOV. I even mentioned that i took some of those cars on, but i also said i kept up with some of them also.
Oh btw, I drive stick (only way to go), so those that think i'm driving around an a/t, think again.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

I still see it as impossible. Lancer = 120 hp, whereas Eclipse GSX starts at 225. If you did keep up with them, more power to you, but unfortunately, my good buddy has a 91 AWD and even at 28 psi in the Mirage, I doubt I was as fast as he is (he chirps his tyres on launch ..... in an AWD).
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:46 PM

stage 2 clutch

I recently replaced my clutch on my oz lancer and I wanted to get a staggering to but the mechanic told me it wasn't possible. I'm also having a hard time debating weather to just get an evo or rice up my lancer. If I got an evo I would still do mods to it so I'm not sure if I'm getting my money's worth
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
what?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Hoff
I recently replaced my clutch on my oz lancer and I wanted to get a staggering to but the mechanic told me it wasn't possible. I'm also having a hard time debating weather to just get an evo or rice up my lancer. If I got an evo I would still do mods to it so I'm not sure if I'm getting my money's worth
How did you even find this thread? It's a decade old.

Quick Reply: 02 Lancer OZ Rally? Potential??