Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Pictures of ported cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of ported cylinder heads

I am looking at getting my cylinder head proted and polished by a local guy I know and since he has never done a 4G94 cylinder head before he would like to see pics of what has worked for other people. I am asking that anyone with pictures of a port job on thier cylinder head please contact me or post thier pics.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

a serch would be a good idea. I remember a while back someone started a thread callecd fun with porting or something like that. Ill see if i can find it for ya it shouuld have some good pics.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I think there are some pics on people's registries. Try diggin around. Best of luck, though.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

is this what you arel ooking for?
https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...de.php?vid=732
Old Aug 9, 2005, 05:39 AM

I tried a search already and didn't find anything, and there is no way to search the registry, so that is alot of cars to just look through. Thanks grubiaco for that link to a registry. If anyone else knows of anybody who has pictures in thier registry please let me know.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 06:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by krimson_binome
there is no way to search the registry
So what are you saying? That the search box in the corner of the registry page is for show?

Think before you speak.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 06:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

And the truth comes out on why people don't use the search button, Its not really there, its actually just for show.

[side bar] That is so my new Sig.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

how much help is a picture going to be? Having ported a couple heads I can tell you that the stuff you're REALLY after, like the short side radius and the casting inclusions, aren't really visible enough that you can take a picture. And even if someone could take a picture, there isn't a good way to take measurements, so it would be like "ok. that's a ported head. I think..."

What works on a V8,V6, I6, I4 will work on this head: clearing out the casting inclusions, smoothing out the casting in general, removing the bumps and sanding down the short side so it's not so much of a bottle-neck. I don't know that I'd grind away at the valve sleeves, but I also don't know how much it would hurt (I didn't do it to either of my heads). Oh and he might want to remember that the exhaust side should be kept kind of small so that exhaust gets "squeezed" out of the cylinder more efficiently.

There have been several threads on this topic.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Alchemist +1. I wanted to post something like that (only far less comprehensive) last night, but I honestly just wanted to see where this was going first. Anyway, listen to the man. That's why he's the man.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the props- but you were the man before I was

I'm working on the assumption that he wants to be an informed consumer. I'd also add that google has crazy amounts of information- so much so that he'll be able to develop enough questions that he'll be able to keep his guy honest, or maybe just decide to DIY
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:00 PM

First when I posted about the search, I hadn't spent that much time in the forums and hadn't seen the search box. I saw it just after I made that post and expected at least three people to harass me for it, since it seems you guys all love to get down on the peopple who might not be as familiar with all parts of the site as you are. That said, I have already read just about every thread about porting and polishing heads and appreciate the info that Alchemist has offered. It is just that my machinist is most familiar with small block chevy heads and has a general policy about wanting to see pics for any head he has not worked on. So, thanks for all the helpful advice, but I was really just looking for someone who knew where I could find detailed pictures of ported cyclinder heads.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Then I'd recommend a new machinist. The basics are the same. The main difference is that our head is cast aluminum and softer than he's probably used to. Call an import shop they'll have it done in a couple days (or less)

unsubscribing....

Last edited by Alchemist; Aug 9, 2005 at 02:52 PM.