Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

wideband narrowband o2 sensor help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking wideband narrowband o2 sensor help

ok, so i bought the new innovate motorsports wbo2 kit ((model #: xd-1/lc-1)). i have realized by reading the instructions (yes i read instructions) that it has the capability to act as your factory narrrowband o2 sensor too while its working as a wideband. my problem is, i need to know which wires are which on the factory o2 sensor, their are 1 blue, 1 white, and 2 black wires, if i find out which one is which, i can hook up my wideband o2 sensor kit to the factory wireharness and only need the stock o2 bung(only one o2 sensor).

or my other idea is: just remove my second o2 sensor and put the wideband in its place, as far as i remember the second o2 sensor doesnt screw up anything, so y not just take it out and put the wideband in its place.

btw: its not that im cheap or anything, lol, but i dont have a welder and cant get another bung welded in by tomorrow when i'll be installing all of this. plus i lost my job so any cheaper but just as good way will do just fine by me.

thanks for any help,
pete
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

First off, you cannot replace the 2nd 02 sensor with that because the cat is before it and will give incorrect readings. 2nd, I dont think innovate makes an WB02 sensor that replaces the first stock 02 sensor. Plus looking at where you live, I dont think you want to leave it in all the time with the salt and snow that could possibly corrode it and leaving you to buy another one. Your best bet is to get another bung put in as close as you can to the exhaust ports to get an accurate reading and make sure it is installed as close as you can to the top of the exhaust as possible(12:00 position) Do it right the fist tome. This is not something you want to cut corners with
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

ok, i no longer have any cats, its straight through to the second o2 sensor. secondly, innovate DOES make it because i have it, lol, their new package, the xd-1/lc-1 combo does it, its RIGHT IN THE INSTUCTIONS, i didnt think it did either when i bought it, but it does.
you DEFINATLY got a really good point on the winter subject, i completely forgot bout salt and snow, DAMMIT.

i guess i'll run over my buddies shop in the morning and beg him to weld me in the o2 bung.

thanks for the help and suggestions supa tek, i think u have changed my mind for the better.

mods(or blacksheep) i guess this thread can be closed, it has been answered perfectly
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

THe bosch wideband sensors and the LSU4 sensors are stock equipment on several cars- I'm sure they're fine for year-round use. And there are a couple wideband interfaces that allow you to install the WBO2 on the FIRST O2 and splice in the wires to allow the ECU to read what it needs. But then, I welded a bung in my DP, so I think this is the better way
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

where did u exactly mount the bung, if ya dont mind me asking, i was thinking right below the header-->downpipe flange, it should be dry there and i should get really good readings, plus it wont be in as much salt in the winter, but it looks like it could handle about any amount of salt anyways actually.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I went below the IM and the wire comes very nearly straight up, and I zip tied the wire to the AC hardline- oh, but I fabbed my own DP so I don't have all of that heatshield crap in the way.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

ya, i got all that heatshield crap, ehh, i'll be happy with it below the headers, easy to get to, easy to brag about, lol, and not in as much salt/snow/roadcrap/bugs/birds/rocks/tar/coons/
etc.

i guess i'll just zip-tie the wires to the factory o2 sensor wires, what did u use as your ignition power source alchemist?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

the ECU power- I don't remember exactly what wire, but it's on Rhyzin's SAFC wiring diagram- it's one of the red ones on the ECU pinouts
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

i can use that for my WBO2? i am gonna be using that for my safc too, or is it still ok?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

so far so good
Old Aug 11, 2005, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

i have my PLX WB02 in as my 2nd o2 sensor and it works fine....i ahve the narrow band hooked up and everyting....i have not cats...so i get a good reading.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

SWEEET, i didnt get around to putting the bung in today, i did hook up and set up my safc though, so i guess tomorrow morning i'll be assembling my WBO2 using the second o2 sensor position.

thanks a lot for speaking up lancer guy, u saved me a trip to the shop and 40 bucks, i new i could do it that way, now i have proof.