Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

My ECU fried??????????????????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like some other people have said... Why don't you just unplug the piggyback and see what happens. It will cost you 10 minutes of your time. If it works well after taking it out then you know the piggyback started using bad data so you call RRM and see what's up. If it still doesn't work after taking it out... well you're on your own. So just save your self the hassle and take the piggyback out of there first. Even if the car is sitting in the dealer's parking lot. A pair of snips and a screw driver is all you need.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Wow. That is the most ignorant, retarded, immature thing I have ever heard.

Get on the phone. RRM - 562.906.0080
wow, congrats your a douche bag, i was in class and when i got out they would be closed, but nice try trying to make yourself feel big, trust me ive called RRM many of times and i dont need a ignorant retarded immature person telling me his logistics
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Like some other people have said... Why don't you just unplug the piggyback and see what happens. It will cost you 10 minutes of your time. If it works well after taking it out then you know the piggyback started using bad data so you call RRM and see what's up. If it still doesn't work after taking it out... well you're on your own. So just save your self the hassle and take the piggyback out of there first. Even if the car is sitting in the dealer's parking lot. A pair of snips and a screw driver is all you need.
yeah, im aware of the unplugging the piggyback solution, but the thing is that they tried it, and so they dont think (keyword think) it was the piggybacks fault (thank god) so obviously its something else now. bah

i love how the only person to make an a$$#ole comment was a mod, thanks to everyone else who has responded though
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Handmemyarms
wow, congrats your a douche bag, i was in class and when i got out they would be closed, but nice try trying to make yourself feel big, trust me ive called RRM many of times and i dont need a ignorant retarded immature person telling me his logistics
Ouch That will cost ya

Just like real life: The police officer as the right to tell you how dumb you are, but you ain't allowed to return the comment

Good luck with your ecu though. Make sure you let us know what the heck happened.

Last edited by blaze_125; Sep 2, 2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like you had a short somewhere... gl with your ecu
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenPsycho

haha, thats an awesome pic, anywho, yeah, i would have responded different if it was like "uh why the f*** havent you just CALLED roadrace" but no, he shot his mouth off.

pretty hypocritical if he cant take it.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

side note: they havent found the prob yet, theyre leaning twords the fact that it might just be a faulty ECU, too bad its not covered under powertrain, bastard warrenty
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Faulty ECU not covered? Man you should talk them into hooking u up with some extreme discount. It's not your fault ECU is bad.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

have you done ne thing to your car lately? Have you played with any wires... This happened to me once when I was working on my headunit on my car... I had built up static electricity on me, and touched a wire... and poof... i supposedly fried everything... I went to the dealership and they were charging me 500 for the fix... but then I took it to a local shop, and they fixed it for 90 bucks.

Also the ecu wouldn't be the thing to blame... if anything... you were probably playing with some electronics in your car, but didn't bother to disconnect the battery.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Something else you might want to try... if you know somebody else who drives a Lancer you could always swap the Ecu for a TestDrive and find out. Just hope you don't "fry" his Ecu as well... cause that would majorly s**k.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Ouch That will cost ya

Just like real life: The police officer as the right to tell you how dumb you are, but you ain't allowed to return the comment

Good luck with your ecu though. Make sure you let us know what the heck happened.
Cops can't arrest you for calling them an aashole. You're just less likely to get out of whatever ticket they're trying to give you.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Xshieldsx
Cops can't arrest you for calling them an aashole. You're just less likely to get out of whatever ticket they're trying to give you.
verbal assault is still assualt
Also they can arrest you for disrespecting... trust me i know :devil:

Anyway... piggy back does nothing more than to modify mas signal. It has no amplifiers in it to effect power. In fact all connections on it are tee'd in so the power an ground circuits are left in constant connection.

I can't see a piggyback causing what you described... you can disconnect the MAS and still drive the car for a long time. sure it will run like crap but it will drive.

Most dealers CANNOT verify 100% ecu problems... in fact none of the mitsu dealers i know have the equipment. They have to pull them and send them to a spot in Texas i believe. There they can get tested. There are outside sources that do that work and if they have the schematic and oscilliscope details they can go thru and see if there's a problem.

Hell GURU_Del's fuel pump was falling out of the assembly and they said it was the ecu... sent it out and checked... came back good. Took them a week to find out it was a fuel supply issue.

Not to say the dealership is wrong or not experienced enough but on these matters they usually are. The fact that your car runs tells you the ecu isn't fully bad. Could it have bad areas sure but not fully.

If you want to do some self diagnosis i'll help... if you want to trust the dealer and pay for the ecu then go for it.

It isn't the piggyback.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The term "fried" is also being used incorrectly I believe. Fried imples toasted, burnt out circuitry which would render whatever electronic device dead aka it can no longer work. Since the car still runs, crappy as it may run, means that the ECU is still working. Sounds like its probably something like maybe a short circuit. Are all the piggyback wires well wrapped in electrical tape or shrink tubing? Have you played with any other wires/electrical parts lately? If not, I am going to have to agree with BOE and others that its not the Piggyback and not likely to be the ECU either. Try taking it someplace else - maybe get an electrical diagnostic or the like. Good luck with whatever you end up doing and be sure to post what the real reason was
Old Sep 2, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

i woke up today, gotin my car started it up, and it ran....but it was idling with the exhaust going pop pop pop

naturally i said, oh sh!+

i took it to the dealership, they said all my computers were fried and now it going to cost a grand to fix it all,

now for the part i really dont want to deal with:
besides having a muffler, a test pipe, and a SRI, the only other mod that i have is, THE ROADRACE PIGGYBACK VERSION 1

now, could this be the cause? ive had it on a while now with no problems, but if it is infact the cause, then we have a problem

If someone from roadrace could PM or leave a msg on this thread it would help in the sort of straightening things out.

Current status: the dealership knows the computer is fried, im waiting to find out what caused it.

LATEST RECALL MIGHT FIX THIS PROBLEM

Just called mitsu headquarters at 1-888-648-7820 and rep asked me for the last 8 digits of VIN
and pulled up the recall data.

1 recall found: PCM recall code# c0505j

by the way, my model is 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER ES.

CALL UP MITSU AND GET TO THE CLOSEST STEALERSHIP TO GET YOUR ECU REFLASHED.

Quick Reply: My ECU fried??????????????????