Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Crank Pulley for the 2.0 engine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank Pulley for the 2.0 engine

I am lookinf to see if anyone has made a crank pulley for this engine. If there is any please post links and such. Also I would like to know what the known weight is on the stock pulley and if anyone thinks an underdriven one would be succeseful when used in conjunction with the different belts.
Thanks!
Joe
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No one has for 4G94s.

What 2.0 do you mean? The 4G94 in the Lancers, or your Evo's 4G63?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

%im pretty sure he means 4g94

but i am waiting for someone to come out with one, to see what kinds of results they yeild
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

i think a lightened pulley would be best...not sure if i want underdriven ones. also do we have a built in harmonic dampner into the stock one...if we do...then we need a new lightend/smaller one the same way

i think we could also benefit from some lightend/smaller accessory pullies???

anybody talk to unorthodox racing...they usually will do it if we get a commitment up front
maybe talk to RRM to coordinate it all
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he's asking because I'm assuming he is contemplating making one for us. He was the one that made the pulley for hte ralliart crowd.

Anywho, no, no one has made one yet, and frankly, there is a reason RPW or aem hasn't stepped up: Most of hte guru's agree an underdrive pulley is a bad idea. I think a lightened crank pulley might be kinda cool, but when you go underdrive you are dealing with a different animal (underdriving power steering pump, ac, etc etc)

Also (from the one of hte few supercharger guys on these forums): If you plan on going RIPP SDS, it would be a waste of money, you need either your stock crank pulley or RIPP's own, but NOT the underdrive one. There is no way those will work in conjunction.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Green....I agree with you...i would much rather see lighten pullies as opposed to underdrives...even the few pounds that each pulley would save would help us out a lot

What kind of pulley did he make for the ralliart guys? Any specs details would be appreciated

THANKS
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor

In the RA there has been NO ill-effects from the pulley. Yes I designed the one for the RA and did all the R&D for it. The one for the Lancer 2.0 NA would be the most simple if and only if it was the stock size although dampening would cost too much and is not needed. The 2.0 NA motor has a less sensitve knock sensor than the 2.4 and would probably see no difference. I would rather stick with the stock size because I do not wan the chorse of finding new belts and want this to work with people that have the RIPP SDS.

I have seen NO gurus concur about a underdriven pulley. If this was bad for a car AEM, Unorthodox and the other companies would not sell pullies. My goal is to bring a Pulley to this platform if and only if gains are there and if it is safe. These are the things I have done for the RA pulley and my plan is just the same. Also sense I have no middleman the price would be dollar for HP the best you could buy.

I need someone with a stock Lancer 2.0 NA pulley that is extra. If you have one please PM me and when this gets going I will give you the option to have a free pulley. I want to make this clear though, I will be expecting you to do dyno runs before and after and you will need to be in direct telephone contact with me during the whole process. Also if there are no gains I will NOT market this and all the money I have into the CAD design and the 2-3 pullies will be lost at my own expense.

SAdude,
Please check out: http://www.mievo.net/rapulley
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

looks good so far...i am glad to hear you are not undriving the new pulley you wanna make

so if we want the harmonic dampner on it...will we lose the effects of lightening or is your ligtening substantial enough that it would help regardless?

also lets say all things go well...do you think you will do like a/c, power steering, alternator later on...again i would like these all in lightened versions...i think lighter alone is enough and i don't wanna find a new belt either
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I could make those other pullies although I am not sure if it would be worth it. The time and complications of each seperate pulley is too much. For this first run I want to stick with the crank only.

This pulley will not have the harmonic dampener on it. It is not needed and is only there to limit vibration, which you won't feel anyways. All Mitsu 4Gxx engines have ran OK without the dampener and there is no reason that this one would be different. I could consider those for you although I would need 20 people interested in those pullies to make it feasable.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 07:11 PM
Account Disabled

I'm not saying underdrive is inherently bad, hell, on larger cars you can see ridiculous gains. but we are talking about a **** weak lancer here, much weaker than the ralliart even, so underdrive is probably not the greatest of idea on our cars. that's all i'm saying

but since its just a lighter pulley, that would be solid. I'm cautiously optimistic about gains, so I guess we'll just have to see who picks one up
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Joe, I have a spare G94 block I've been trying to get the crank pulley off of. If you want to come over and try (I'm in Seattle), you're welcome to it as a prototype. Then we can try to get the crank pulley off while the engine is still in the car It's one HUGE bolt and I haven't been able to get it to budge.

BUT if you come up with a lightened pulley AND an easy way to get it off I'd be in. (and when I say easy, I mean relatively. I'm not a pansy at this tuning stuff but this is a PITA)

Last edited by Alchemist; Sep 11, 2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:49 PM
Account Disabled

alky, the fellas at RIPP said you are pretty much SOL unless you have air tools cause you need the impacting action to get the crank off. I tried with some regular tools, but no dice.

One the other hand, changing the belt is so stupidly easy, I've even done it, so that shouldn't be a problem
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

You changed the belt with the engine in the car? How? The engine mount is in the way... isn't it? sorry for the OT. Thanks for the tip about air tools.... that's not a road I'm willing to go down. It would start out as "I just need an air gun" and turn into something horrible as I replace all the electric tools in my shop with air.... my wife would kill me....
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:36 AM
Account Disabled

hell yeah man, swapped the entire belt out in a just a few minutes. which mount would be in the way? the side one? I didn't have to mess with anything else besides the tensioner

If you really want the pulley off, maybe go to home depot and rent an electric impact wrench for the day or something. then if that works, harbor freight sells them super cheap. just a thought.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

electric's not enough, tried and tried.... of course, my engines tend to be more difficult than the average bear... hmm.

I'll have to take another look at the belt when I want to change it out.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley for the 2.0 engine