Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4g94 turboed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^+1

This has been covered already. Some of us cannot afford to insure a car that costs $30k because we are young. And it's not worth turboing a lancer? People hear with FI can easily smoke $30k cars. Just recently Lancerboy or someone smoked a $40k boxter s.

Let's not get into if it's worth it or not. 1g eclipse awd with bolt ons can run 13s. The looks are not great, but performance is awesome. And sorry but there is no warranty so if you can't do your own stuff than understand that you pay to play (Arichmetic).
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=drucea just know what you're doing and know your limits. If you want the power of an evo, get one. ES, LS, and OZ never will so make do with it.[/QUOTE]

4G94 have limits where Evo is just starting. That's why there are specific classes of where each car belongs based on stock horespower and specs.
4G94 belongs to civics, nissans, mazdas, etc. not EVO, STi, or 350z.

And BTW if you want to keep your warranty on your car you might as well not to anything to it.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

whoa down boy, don't throw out that lancers can "easily" beat $30g cars, cause it does cost quite a bit and takes a lot of tuning. but lets end that arguement...
so anyways josh, good luck with your turbo, hope you get the info you need.
and on warranty, just don't get extreme and dont do anything that'll f- up your car, cause remember, as long as aftermarket parts don't cause the problem, dealer cant refuse warranty work because the parts are there.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Warranties are for pussies. Building the car you want with the car you already like is great, whether it's a Lancer, a Yugo or an SRT-10. If you want a quick grocery getter that you either built yourself or planned yourself, the Lancer will do nicely. I'd suggest trying to get a ride or test drive in a local boosted Lancer for an idea of what you're getting for your money. I don't ever want to get rid of my Turbo Lancer despite many regrets and nearly 2 years of downtime on it.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slovak
Why? Take the $19.5k I spent on my ride, plus the $5k or so for a decent f/i setup, and the fact that it voided my warrenty and will still get the snot kicked out of it by any awd vehicle with the same power, one could buy a used Evo or Sti with a warrenty for less, or close to the same total money. Either way, awd will spank the fwd like a red headed step-child. The only folks that make out in a situatuion like this are ones with their rides already paid for, and have nothing better to spend $5k on.
Just my .02 worth, but as I said, it's your car, so do whatever floats your boat with it.
yeah that would be sweet, but you dont take nearly as much pride in it as something that you completely built. also the problem with those AWD cars is that it skyrockets your insurance b/c of AWD. and the upkeep/maintenance far exceeds what ours would be, even turbo'd. you must learn how to drive an AWD car correctly, or else your clutch will have hardly any life (reason why so many young evo drivers have to get new clutch after <30k miles). dont get me wrong, i love all those cars, but those are the reasons that i didnt get a WRX.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

AWD's cost more to insure? I don't know that to be true, but if it is I'd be surprised. Maybe AWD sports cars do, but I think that has more to do with accident rates and the fact that they're sports cars than anything else.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Here's the thing, whats the real difference in someone buying a 270 hp car and someone making a 270 hp car using an off of the shelf kit? To me its the same, unless you go complete custom and do all the work yourself you can't really brag, all you'd be doing is showing everyone that you had 5000$ to spend. An AWD car with a stock turbo has far less maintenance than a car thats been turboed aftermarket, a whole lot more research and design went into making the car that can sell a lot of units and still be streetable and useable by the average consumer. Compare that with a car that needs tuning, higher octane than normal, different spark plugs, different oil, etc.. I would much rather buy a car with a turbo and avoid all the hassles than deal with the risks involved in having my day to day car in the shop for weeks to months at an end (as mine is right now).
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I beg to differ. My car's current condition aside, I've spent a good bit of money one it. And while I had to have the major work done for me due to lack of expertise, I still did a lot of the work on it myself, and I'm proud of waht I've done. I'd take that over a $25,000 car any day. It's a matter of personal preference more than anything IMO.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It has to do with the price, and the problems you can expect. These include decreased engine life, blow gaskets, melted pistons and rings, screwed up valves, etc.. Its all a personal matter, some people can deal with these problems (or risks) and they see the idea of having 200+ horsepower as being worth it. Others need their car for daily use, live too far away from places like RRM, and simply can't rationalize spending 4000$+ in a single mod on a 16000$ car.
I can see what youre saying.. but thats assuming you buy the car new. And if you get an OZ for that matter.
Some people on this board though probably bought their car slightly used. And you can get a pretty new ES for much less than 10g's.

Heck just looking at the paper today you can get a new 2006 Lancer ES for 11g's CANADIAN.

Last edited by arm07; Oct 11, 2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
AWD's cost more to insure? I don't know that to be true, but if it is I'd be surprised. Maybe AWD sports cars do, but I think that has more to do with accident rates and the fact that they're sports cars than anything else.
Yeah when i had talked to my insurance company, they had rated all cars that were AWD i mentioned as exotics. I have had no tickets and been in one not at fault accident.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

I beg to differ. My car's current condition aside, I've spent a good bit of money one it. And while I had to have the major work done for me due to lack of expertise, I still did a lot of the work on it myself, and I'm proud of waht I've done. I'd take that over a $25,000 car any day. It's a matter of personal preference more than anything IMO.
+1 (although i dont have anywhere near as much done, but mine has not been in the shop for anything major, except cosmetic repair)
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by oz4g94
Yeah when i had talked to my insurance company, they had rated all cars that were AWD i mentioned as exotics. I have had no tickets and been in one not at fault accident.
I'd try another company. That doesn't sound normal to me, and that's just bizarre.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

You guys are way off topic.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'd try another company. That doesn't sound normal to me, and that's just bizarre.
I have called many other indurance companies, however, the rates i currently have remain the lowest of all companies that i would actually consider being a customer of. yeah so, i guess we were spiraling off topic.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Thats the exception to the rule, sure if your like Omar (or Hobie) who did the work himself you have a reason to be proud but if you bought a kit from RRM? That's like saying to someone "well I deserve to get into college because I have the money to bribe the professors" its not really anything to go gloating about. I still couldn't rationalize spending 4000$ on a 16000$, it just seems too much for me, but thats simply my opinion, I don't really care what other people do.

Quick Reply: 4g94 turboed?