Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Air Ducts and water/weather?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Ducts and water/weather?

We were discussing this on the show and shine forum. I recently bought an air duct and short ram air filter for my auto 05 es. The questions of water and weather getting into air filter was raised. Can I get some input on this possible issue?

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

get a hydro-gaurd and put it on your filter

see the red thing over my filter? it's a pre filter that helps repel water, they're like 20 bucks
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^ You can just use some pantihose and K&N Filter Oil. Works the same, mainly for dust and dirt though. A bi-pass would be ideal if your worried about water getting in.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

The amount of water will not do any damage anyway, just make sure your filter is charged with oil.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

I have the carbon fiber duct from RRM and a SRI and have never had a problem with any weather/water.. the opening is too small to hydro lock the engine really. I;ve had it for probably 2 full years now.. and have raced in pouring rain and never had a problem.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

water

I have the evo style cf hood w/ the vent on the driver side and the sr intake from rrm. It doesnt sit directly behind the vent but pretty close and I have never had ne issues w/ rain.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Do a little test. Take your filter and stick it in your shower. You will notice the water will not go through the filter unless you would submerge it.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
greg is right. without large quantities of water or some means of suction (like a wide open throttle an a quantity of water) there shouldn't be an issue. when you submerge the filter the "atmospherical pressure" , in this case water pressure, is what causes it to go through the filter.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregivq
Do a little test. Take your filter and stick it in your shower. You will notice the water will not go through the filter unless you would submerge it.
exactly! i have never heard of anyone hydrolock from a short ram
and btw my filter is behind that foglight you see driving in 23+ straight days of rain in seattle with no problems
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by comatose721
greg is right. without large quantities of water or some means of suction (like a wide open throttle an a quantity of water) there shouldn't be an issue. when you submerge the filter the "atmospherical pressure" , in this case water pressure, is what causes it to go through the filter.
yea, filter oil repels the water and it just rolls off the surface of the filter. a short ram with a hood vent won't hydrolock. you'd have to pour a bucket of water on the filter while the car is running for that to happen
Old Jan 9, 2006, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

A duct from the front to the filter will not allow any water to get to your filter. The main problem is that it will carry up to a gallon of water around with you and when it sloshes just right it'll move the tube out of place and it won't work anymore (could also pull itself out from under the car)... ask me how I know. I poked two 1/8" holes in my duct to let the water out. Still works good as ever.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

So what youre saying is the carbon fiber vent from RRM will NOT do any water damage to anything in the engine bay. Where can you buy those filter covers ? And does anyone know what type of project youre looking at to get that hood vent installed in a stock hood ?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Wait- you're talking about a hood vent, not an air duct. a duct comes from under the car, that vent is a hole in the hood. I think I remember one person having that thing instaleld but I never paid attention to whether he had problems with water (I'm gonna guess not though- Greg's right about the oiled filters).
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Im thinking this sounds to be a "call rob" scenario . . and yes im talking about a hood duct, not a duct, sorry for the miscommunication.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

i was speaking of hood duct also... seems I can't get the lingo right, some people say air vent, duct, hood vent, whatever. The little $40 thingy RRM sells. I had someone tell me it could cost anywhere up to $300 to install at a paint shop, however that was including some other work (emblems) that I'm going to do myself. I just ordered one of the water repellant filter covers today, from like autoparts.com or somewhere, it was 25 with shipping. You can go to K&N too, but it costs more I think.

Quick Reply: Air Ducts and water/weather?