Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

throttle response

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2006, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle response

throttle response is when you step on the gas, how long it takes for the power to get delivered, right?

i have an auto, and it takes a long time for the power to come if i floor it after the turn, which hurts me quite a bit in autox. what mods are best value (not cheapest, but best value) for making this better?
Old Apr 29, 2006, 02:33 AM
Evolving Member

If you autocross in "D", you might want to try driving in "3" or "2" so that way the car never goes into overdrive.

*This may over work your tranny - so try at your own risk*

I recommend you get headers, intake, and a testpipe or a highflow cat (not a catback exhaust because it opens up the exhaust too much and you will lose backpressure). Throttlebody and Intake Manifold are supposed to make your throttle response better as well. Doing some of these mods might take you out of whichever class you are in right now, so that is something to think about too. If you are in a stock class and want to stay in a stock class.. K&N drop in filter, ported IM and TB would properly help a bit.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

That has been the most unplesant thing I've had to deal with in my auto lancer, besides gas mileage. The one auto-x I did, I so could have done better with a faster downshift from my tranny... I wouldn't try the drive in 2nd or 3rd gear setup but once to see what might happen. But the best thing to learn to do in our autos is to punch the gas 1-1.5 seconds early out of the corners; seeing that it's about that long,if not longer, to downshift...

Good luck
Old Apr 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

B-SR ^ +1

Last edited by Ozdriver; Apr 29, 2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Don't get a test pipe, it ruins your low end. I would say do intake, headers, throttle body, intake manifold and maybe a catback exhaust. Test pipes and HFCs are best left for heavily modified NA engines or turbo applications. There's no point in spending 100$ and have problems with smog, sound levels, smell, etc. (in the case of a test pipe) when at most you'll get 2 hp out of it on a lightly modified engine.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would reccomend the RRM crank pulley too.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

the rrm pulley and everything on the intake side will greatly increase the throttle response. And for auto, with a short ram intake, the shorter it is the better throttle response is. Example, any short ram using the stock throttle body tube will have better throttle response than the K&N Typhoon that has that long tube out to the header.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

does 2.25" catback open up your exhaust too much causing u to lose a lot of backpressure?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

nope, our cars do fairly well, even turboed, with a 2.25"-2.5". anything more than he 2.5" though would be open too much
Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Off-topic a little, but what do you guys think about a riced out car with a muffler adaptor (2" to 3") as a muffler tip? Extra hp there?

Sorry, had to post what I just saw earlier...
Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think extra HP on a tip....... Not to sure though... Might look a lil better based on opinion.

like was said. let more air in and out of the engine and throttle response will improve and from what ive read that new pulley is great as well.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm. I don't think it takes long for my auto to downshift. Even at cruising speeds when I go to pass I can tap the gas up to a downshift and by time I move out my OZ is already getting on it. I'd say it takes about 1.5 seconds.

Got it down to a science!

On a side note if your trying to get a downshift and it won't I have tried shifting into Neutral (off of the gas) then back into Drive (Still off of the gas) and then I would get a downshift...can anyone else confirm this?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Don't get a test pipe, it ruins your low end. I would say do intake, headers, throttle body, intake manifold and maybe a catback exhaust. Test pipes and HFCs are best left for heavily modified NA engines or turbo applications. There's no point in spending 100$ and have problems with smog, sound levels, smell, etc. (in the case of a test pipe) when at most you'll get 2 hp out of it on a lightly modified engine.
The testpipe won't kill your low end power if you don't have a catback exhaust. The testpipe does kill low end power in some cases, but it makes up for it in the higher RPMs. The power you lose in the low end is only felt off the line (not the best time to lose it, but what can you do). Once you are moving it won't make a difference in the low end, but you will feel it in the top end.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

have you even taken your throttle body cable and make it tight?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

not a good idea. you can remove a little slack but tightening it at all isnt really good because it is set so that when you floor it, the throttle opens fully. if you tighten it more, then when you have it floored, you'll be putting a lot of tension on the cable and theres a possibility of breaking it. some say theres a screw on top of the throttle body that you can turn to adjust idle but i and most others cant seem to either find it or make it do anything.

Quick Reply: throttle response