Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Exhaust?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust?!!?

Im searching for an exhaust....i've been looking into some for quite some time....but dont not know which one to purchase or what i should purchase....any idea or information would be helpful.....plz no negative comments....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A rice cannon on a lancer? =((((( Dude... but dude... it has a 5'' exhaust tip and says HKS on it.. it must be good! It even says on the product description that it maximizes horsepower (8-10 bwhahaha) and raises your top speed.

Seriously though, sorry, those won't give you anything but obnoxious noise. If you want something that sounds good, go with a custom catback, or get a premade catback system like magnaflow or greddy. In reality though, with any aftermarket exhaust no matter how good, the most you might pick up would be 5whp if that. The exhaust manifold cat, downpipe, and 2nd cat are the most restrictive parts on the lancer exhaust system.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Agree with wiretap, don't waste your money on a muffler like that, you'd be better off just buying a full system or having one made.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno if RRM has anymore of the greddy mufflers, but thats prolly the best deal you gonna get rather than those, only one you listed thats maybe a decent price is the megan one. But I'd contact RRM and see if they have any left, and do what wiretap said & get a custom catback done. That's what I did and I'm lovin it.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

but if he is goign custom piping would those mufflers be good? im looking to get 2.5 inle tpiping since im turbo. and those exhausts look pretty good to me. the 4' tip one looks nice.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 06:26 AM
Former Vendor

well many of us cant afford a cat back. and unless your turbo theres really no point. so a cheap muffler like that is a nice replacement for the stock one,. i know it looks alot better even of it doesnt increase horsepower
Old Jun 24, 2006, 06:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crypto
well many of us cant afford a cat back. and unless your turbo theres really no point. so a cheap muffler like that is a nice replacement for the stock one,. i know it looks alot better even of it doesnt increase horsepower
Wait, what?

A cheap muffler is a nice replacement? What exactly are you going for?

The cheap muffler will look like rice, and will sound horrible (generalizations, yes, but I'd love to be proved wrong). It probably won't add any power. How does that make it a "nice replacement" ??? Because it's big and all the Civic owners will fawn over you?

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be a dick. But there's nothing positive a cheapo muffler can do to your car but make it LOOK fast. And "looking fast" is what rice is all about.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor

well its not just about looking FAST. its about looking nice. and correct me if im wrong, but the stock muffler isnt the prettiest in the world. So even if it is a ricer muffler, it still looks NICER (not faster) and the stock one. And no they dont sound that bad, most of them come with a silencer, you just stick it in and it sounds pretty nice. Ricers usually remove the silencer or drill holes in the muffler.

I know im gonna buy one, i cant afford a cat back and i dont have turbo, so theres really no point in getting one. But a nice looking muffler would be an improvement
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

When I was N/A, the SRI, RRM header, testpipe, and magnaflow catback actually made a pretty big difference just to let you know. The felt a whole lot better like it didn't have asthma anymore. I'd say maybe a 10 to 15whp gain modestly with the basic intake/exhaust mods which is decent.

But rice cannons don't look "nice". They look rediculous and hillarious. They are "nice" to make fun of people that have them, but not actually use. If you want the stock exhaust to look nice get a chrome exhaust tip.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:03 AM

If all you want is to make it look nicer, bolt on a $20 chrome exhaust tip and call it a day. Don't waste your time and money on a whole new muffler.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Just save up until you can buy a real exhaust system. I'd say that a fart muffler actually looks worse than stock since a fart can just screams "I don't give a rats *** about real performance, I just want people to think I'm fast". Most real tuners point and laugh at fart cans, it's basically just like pointing a giant aluminum wing on a FWD car, just a little lower down. I only got an exhaust like 4 months or so ago, and I'm glad I waited. I got a greddy catback for ~300$ CAD, that's about 250$ US.
Oh and thereaonsf3, I think unless you're like stage 2 turbo with ported head, cam, etc. you don't need a 2.5" exhaust, from what I remember a 2.25" is still considered the best, turbo or not.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor

well i got a chrome muffler tip. and it looks ok.

although i find one fault in your logic. How come if you have a custom cat back with a massive muffler it LOOKS ok. But if you just have a muffler it LOOKS crap? From looking at a car you cant tell the difference (unless you stop they car, ask them to jack it up, and have a look underneath it)

If big mufflers really looked crap. then you wouldnt want it on a cat back system.

Now performance is another matter so lets not get into that. but from a purely design perspective......whats the difference?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

You don't get a custom catback with a massive muffler. You get a nice 2.25'' to 2.5'' like a magnaflow, greddy, or other reserved style in a quality product. Have you even seen what the magnaflow muffler looks like on the catback systems?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

^--- Magnaflow

^--- zomg lol rice
Old Jun 24, 2006, 07:14 PM
Former Vendor

what about this?

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...php?image=1090
and
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=muffler
and
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...attach+muffler

(also i do agree to big is rediculous. but a realistic size ebay muffler looks a million times better than stock)

and while where on the subject. Someone once told me, these were good mufflers, esspecially for the price
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

or is that bullcrap?

Last edited by crypto; Jun 24, 2006 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust?!!?