Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Serious Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious Maintenance Questions

Hello evom.net, I own a 02 Lancer and its coming near the 100k mark. I bought the car used with 37k miles in 03. Everynow and then I read up on the User's Repair manual to check to see if Im up-to-date on my repairs and I came across the Timing Belt. I already knew that I wanted to get this replaced but I looked at some more parts to be replace also.

As for the Timing Belt, I realize that you should replace the Water Pump also. Should I replace the Tensioner and Crankshaft Gear also? I want to replace my other belts such as the PS Belt and Alternater Belt. I purchased RRM Crank Pulley so Ill be replacing that too.

I called up Mitsubishi Dealer and got part names and prices for each part I wanted to replace:
Water Pump $136.96 MD309756
Timing Belt $78.19 MD186376
Alternator Belt $25.28 MD373620
PS Belt $60.57 MD373622
Crankshaft Gear $48.17 MD190863
Tensioner $62.14 MD320174
Camshaft Gear $32.82 MD301986

I plan on spending $250-$350 on parts and another $200-$300 on laber, so I figured total it would be $450-$650.

My Questions would be:
-Are there places out there where I could purchase the parts for less but have good quality, if so what are they?
-Should I let the Dealership install for me, or go to the local repair Shop?
-Should I buy the parts and bring them to the shop/Dealership, or let the repair shop/Dealership buy them for me and pay for everything at once?
-Does my expected idea of what parts to replace seem reasonable?
-Am I missing anything else, that should be replace too?

Sources:
Mitsubishi Dealership
Mitsubishi Repair Manual
Car Mecanics buddies
Evom Search
Mitsubishi OEM Parts Catalog
https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Waterpump, and all the belts are cheaper at NAPA. If you buy the good belts at NAPA they are lifetime (My dad had the AC lockup and burn his NAPA belt and they gave him a new one!) You are stuck getting the tensioner from the dealer. I am clueless as to why you need to replace the cam and crank gear. But none of this matters beacause you are not doing it yourself.

There is no way the dealer lets you bring in parts from NAPA. They make a ton of money on parts they sell you. Local shops do the same stuff. They mark up parts like crazy.

Unless you can find a cool local person to do it with your parts you are going to get hosed at the dealer with all their parts and outrageous labor charges and they will throw in a few things too, like the cam and crank gears that you don't need.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

I 2nd to that!

definitely outsource your parts and get some local shop to do it for you. Half the time they'll always ask if you have the parts so they don't have to go through the trouble themselves to find them.