Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RPW Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPW Camshafts

I was wondering what the lift and duration on the stage 2 and stage 3 cams from rpw are for our car. Also what are ballpark gains and expected losses of drivability that go along with each. I couldnt find the answer to either on rpw's site.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:07 PM

i've had the same problem as you... they just say huge gains in torque and power. i plan on calling vision imports about the stage 2 cam tomorrow (its on sale ), you could do the same i guess or contact RPW directly. if you don't i'll let you know what vision tells me tomorrow.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

I asked some of the same questions on hp gains when considering this next mod. The answer I got was that firstly, not many cars in the US have gone beyond stage one cam (mirage 1.8 4G93) and secondly those who changed cam did not have the luxury of dynoing stock versus a cam change.

I did the same pertty much with my header.

Most of us are waiting for Uranium9v to install his stage one cam so we can get some more recent results. You can runa search for his thread in the Engine tech section of US lancer.

I know this probably doesn't help but just relaying what I know.

WADAD
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Unless you have or intend to seriously mod your engine and retain natural aspiration I'd recommend sticking with a stage 1 grind. Read RPW's webpage, their recommendations and their warning.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking about getting a stage 2 or 3 and valve springs, cam gear, s-afc, bored throttle body and a custom catback, so yes i am aiming toward serious n/a modifactions.

Last edited by fury656; Apr 23, 2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

There is no benefit to doing the camshaft upgrade until the vehicle has other mods like throttle body, air cleaner, exhaust and extractors done, and most especially the Fuel Pressure Regulator kit.
  • Stage 1 grind is for all standard / lightly modified vehicles with or without ECU modifications (not necessary)
  • Stage 2 grind is for improved mid range / top end at the expense of slight loss of torque at low rpm. Valve Springs required, Vernier Cam gear optional.
  • Stage 3 grind is for improved upper mid range / top end at the expense of loss of torque at low rpm levels. Valve Springs & Vernier Cam gear required.
  • Stage 4 + grinds available for racing purposes only. Valve Springs required & Vernier Cam Gear Required.
  • Above grinds are also available in a turbo / supercharger format to improve the efficiency of such system.
http://www.rpw.com.au/New%20Website/...3camshafts.htm

EDIT: And for the record, I'm not saying don't get a stage 2. I'm saying I doubt you'd have the need for it. It just seems unecessary to me.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Apr 23, 2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fury....go with stage 1.....stage 2 or 3 are for some serious engine work...like serious work...not just simple bolt ons...you car will idle like ****...stage 2 and 3 are for race engines/turbocharged engines. i don't think RPW even has a stage 3 yet for the 4G94.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thing is i dont want to do internal work to my motor which will cost a ton labor wise and see small gains. Stage 1 seems very mild and a small upgrade from the stock cam as far as lift/dur goes. For my setup and goals stage 2 seems to be the most logical. Mind elaborating on what serious engine work is to you as far as the setup for a stage 2 cam goes.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:48 PM

i agree with fury, vision recommends s-afc, fuel regulator, and stronger valve springs for the stage 2, a cam gear would also be a good idea too... now to me that doesn't sound like serious engine work. if i got a stage one i'd probably get tired of it in a week or two and end up losing money selling it to buy a stage 2. just my opinion.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They recommend it to make the car run. Try e-mailing David Thomas or talking to someone at Vision. You probably don't realize that you're going to start losing low end torque with higher staged grinds as well as a smooth idle. The more you tinker with valve timing the more your HP/TQ curve is going to dip and peak.
Considering the relatively low redline on our engines I think it makes more sense to maximize low/mid RPM gains and maintain a flat power band.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:54 PM

EDIT: And for the record, I'm not saying don't get a stage 2. I'm saying I doubt you'd have the need for it. It just seems unecessary to me.
i'm also surprised to hear you say that a stage 2 cam might be unecessary..... what about a $4K intercooled turbo kit, or a HUGE aluminum adjustable spoiler that looks horrible and serves no real purpose ??
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:58 PM

i see what your saying about the dip in power in the lower rpm bands but after first gear in a straight race your going to be above 4k rpms anyway. and when i'm hauling *** on back roads i'm always at 4k rpms or higher, so i think it would be benificial for my driving style. don't get me wrong i know there are always disadvantages to most mods, but its hard to get everything you want from a SOHC 120 hp motor without sacrificing something somewhere along the line.

EDIT: sorry to keep rambling on but..... could you suggest some GOOD n/a mods that would make a significant difference in low to midrange rpms. minus the 2hp gains from CAI and 6hp (if your lucky) from a cat-back exhaust kit that costs $580.

Last edited by 02Lancer; Apr 24, 2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Personally i feel stage 2 is the most logical if youre looking for major gains bc it only claims to cause a slight loss in low end power. To me the extra gains in the mid range and in top end power, where the car really needs that extra kick outweigh the potential losses down low on a car that has above average low end power for a 4 banger.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I don't see what turbo kits have to do with this and I don't like aluminum wings.

Anyway...whatever floats your boat. VI's price for the stage 2 they have in stock is definitely good if it suits your needs. I was posting as words of caution, not intended to be read as discouragement. The bottom line is if you don't have a goal planned out for your car then you should stop modding it immediately, figure one out, buy parts in a pragmatic fashion (i.e. don't but a 3" exhaust before you buy your T1billion turbo kit) and mod accordingly in stages without deviation from the plan. It will prevent dips in performance inbetween mods and/or disappointment should your plans fall to **** or your money run out. I just don't see the justification for more dramatic grinds on (almost) anyone's NA Lancer out there.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you only need a stage 2 if your going turbo or if your going quad TB with higher compression. only if your really cramming a lot of air/fuel into the motor. a stage one grind will be sufficient with every bolt of mod out there on a car. excluding turbo if ppl consider that a bolt on mod.

Quick Reply: RPW Camshafts