Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Nitrous Question

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2003, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Nitrous Question

I just recently purchased a ZEX Nitrous Wet Kit. I was driving the other day (running a 55 Shot) and the car died. I checked the spark plugs and one of them was fried, the others were burnt. I was told by ZEX that if i replaced my stock plugs with ones that run two degrees colder, this wouldn't happen. My car luckly just had something knocked loose, and cost me only $20 to fix. My car was idleing funny and making a rattling noise. The spark plugs were replaced and the mechanic fixed the rattling. Does anyone know if by changing to the cooler plugs will allow me to run safely a 55 shot, without having to change the pistons??? PLEASE REPLY!!
Old May 15, 2003, 02:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Gonna move to engine tech so hopefully you get a more informed reply.
Old May 16, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Run a search, there have been many members on this site that have blown their engines using NOS. Even if you change the pistons, rings and rods, I still wouldn't recommend using NOS, although the engine will handle it better. Just my opinion, ask "Boeturbolancer" about it, he found out the hard way TWICE!

NOS...bottles are for babies!
Old May 17, 2003, 01:17 AM

If used correctly nos is no big deal. with every thing stock i wouldnt recoment using a 55 shot. i would say more along the lines of a 35.
Old May 17, 2003, 01:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use NOS on the lancer and you will blow the motor only a matter of time. The stock ecu does not allow for enough retarding of the timing to detonate properly... thus you get detonation. This detonation will destroy stock pistons. They are cast with weak(thin) ring lands. A wet system will last you a bit longer than dry system due to mixture of fuel and NOS. It will still blow it up. Trust me on this. If you could retard the timing enough you may get away with it but stock ecu does not allow for this. Getting a cam timing gear doesn't either. Reason is you are only changing the vlv timing/positioning no the actual firing point. For a 55 shot you will need to retard timing 10 degrees past stock setting along the entire power curve. Stock ecu can't do this. Distributerless system on lancer hinders you in this way. MSD makes boost/injection retarding devices though they will not work on out lancers due to the ignition systems. They are working on producing an adapter for out ignition system as they are being put on other mitsubishis. For now there is no way to safely squeeze without standalone system and boost/injection retard adapter connected to system. You'll be spending about 3300 bucks for all this. Just go turbo. NOS NO GOOD FOR LANCERS!!! NUFF SAID!!
Old May 17, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Wow thanks Boeturbo! I've been wanting to hear the full explanation.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:46 PM

NOS is alot like cocaine, good the first couple of times then the problems begin........NOS = BAD
Old May 17, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SoCal Lancer
NOS is alot like cocaine, good the first couple of times then the problems begin........NOS = BAD
hehe
Old May 17, 2003, 11:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SoCal
Old May 23, 2003, 03:58 PM

Even if i buy Forged pistons and rods. There still is nope hope of using the Nitrous?
Old May 23, 2003, 04:16 PM

NOS

i disagree that NOS is bad , IF USED PROPERLY and using it on stock pistons is improper u need to get a set of pistons from RRM then u can run all the NOS ur heart desires !!! the NOS will smoke ur stock pistons no matter what shot u use
Old May 23, 2003, 09:36 PM

You should do like Boeturbolancer said, Turbo that ride is the way to go! Nitrous will cost you the same in the long run anyway, with blowing all the parts that will NOT be covered under warranty, at least, if you are not a good liar

Like, OMFG, I didn't know that switch was for activating Nitrous on my car... I have that stock with it? Nice!?