Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Funny sound coming from intake. any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny sound coming from intake. any ideas?

So, I have a RRM short ram intake. When I shut my car off it makes a very loud rubbing noise.. At first I thought it was a belt slipping or something. Ive had two people under my hood listening and ive listened. Its coming from the intake.

Is there a flapper or something in the stock intake hose by the manifold or something? It sounds like the intake is trying to force air through something thats closed...... Everything is tight and Im pretty sure my install is secure. any ideas?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Maybe it's the last bit of air getting sucked in and slamming into the butterfly valve.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

im thinking its something like that. where is the butterfly valve located? As long as this isnt something to worry about I can live with it. I just havnt read about this kinda noise from an SRI before.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the butterfly valve is at the end of the intake where the throttle body and intake pipe meet.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Butterfly valve is in the throttle body.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

oooh. when I was looking at it tonight after I changed my oil I was wondering if there was a valve there.... So I guess I do have a little common sense after all. haha.

Im pretty sure thats what it is then.

is this something I should look into (take apart the pipe and check the valve)?

btw- thanks for the quick helpful responses.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think its a problem and realistically nothing can be done about it. Mine makes a wooshing sound when I turn my car off so I think it's normal.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

good to hear. Thanks for the help guys.

Ill just tell everyone its the sound of pure performance...
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

It gets louder and more noticeable when you have a lot of mods. With the stiff front motor mount my car shakes and groans when I turn it off.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

ooooh. true. i think I started noticing this after I installed the NSC damper kit. makes sense.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

NSC Damper is little too harsh on the engine i think. It makes the whole chassi vibrate when u put the car from D to Park. It definately helps reduce the wheel hop but still makes me uncomfortable when chassis shakes.

By the way, i am having same issue with the intake and yes it is normal. SRI Filter sucks in the last bit of air that is why it makes that kind of sound.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I don't think its a problem and realistically nothing can be done about it. Mine makes a wooshing sound when I turn my car off so I think it's normal.
It's normal. I kinda like the sound.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno if I could say I like it..... its so loud in mine it sounds like something is broken...lol
Old Nov 18, 2006, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 04lancerEsGuy
NSC Damper is little too harsh on the engine i think. It makes the whole chassi vibrate when u put the car from D to Park. It definately helps reduce the wheel hop but still makes me uncomfortable when chassis shakes.

By the way, i am having same issue with the intake and yes it is normal. SRI Filter sucks in the last bit of air that is why it makes that kind of sound.
I have the same thing with the NSC Damper. The only way around it that I found was to not tighten the damper too much around the bushings, just tighten it until the bushings make contact with the seats. You just want them making contact with the parts next to them, but not be tight at all. It doesn't stop engine movement like the video shows anyway if you have a lot of mods. I've been thinking I had an idle problem for two months because my chasis would vibrate when I put the car in drive and, or turn the AC on. Ive spent over $200 trying to fix an idle problem when it was the damper all along. Sounds like the stiff motor mounts cause a similar problem. That sucks!

The whoosh sound when you turn off the car is normal and nothing to worry about. Someone explained what it was on a different thread somewhere. It's normal to here that with a SRI or CAI. I've been hearing it for three years. It's something like the last cycle of the engine after it's turned off, and with no stock air box to muffle the sound.

Last edited by sdhes; Nov 18, 2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

cool. thanks for all the info. good to know its nothing to worry about.