Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!
View Poll Results: Best of the Best Headers
RRM
49.14%
RPW
33.14%
Kamikaze
17.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Headers!! RPW or RRM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2004, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by pumpdog720
Also, if I brought this to a shop to put on, how much you think a normal shop would charge for them to install them. I think with the right tools and now how to do it, it shouldn;t be that hard of an install.
you should do it yourself.

simple hand tools.

8 bolts to the cylinder head, 2 bolts to the down pipe, plus remove the heat shield and o2 (which can be done outside the car)

a jack and jack stand would help too
Old Jan 21, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

hey are the screws very prone to break??? when they are taken off?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

There are 8 nuts on the header, one of them requires the removal of the timing belt cover and bending some metal slightly and then super easy to get at, then a few for the heat shield, 3 for disconnecting the downpipe, and then 2 at the catalytic. The only ones that are at all difficult really are the catalytic. But torch them to get them good and hot and use a nice long wrench like a torque wrench and they come loose no problem. Easy install, less than 3 hours of lolly gagging to get it done.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

im dumping my RRM header for the RPW. if you really think about it, its a much better setup and a better deal. The RPW is designed and crafted way better then the RRM. Its as if RRM just threw something together to get something on the market, actual engineering went into the development of the RPW header. Right now im running with the RRM header and Buschur Racing downpipe (which by the way is a GREAT product, Buschur makes quality stuff) and I just ordered the RPW setup header and downpipe together. I should have it installed in about a week. I will definitly post reviews.. im also going to have my car dyno'd with the RRM then once again dyno'd after i install the RPW. i will post the dyno sheets. Im expecting much higher gains from the RPW... but we'll see.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

that sounds great Bitnode - cant wait to see some numbers
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:46 AM

What's up guy's I've got a RRM test pipe and Custom catback exhaust that i had done at my local exhaust shop. I havn't seen anything about the noise level with the headers. My car is already realitivly loud if i added a header it's only going to get louder. My question is does anybody have any sound clips or can you tell me how much of an increase the headers made. I am using this car for a daily driver and don't want to go def driving it.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Bitnode: let us know how long it takes to get the product to your house. I ordered some stuff from RPW in the past and had wait times from 4 months to infinity.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Out of alot of these posts i see that RPW is liked alot more by the people i would trust to give me advice. But 1 thing i would like to know is what turbos can fit with this choice, and what downpipe?
If this sounds repetitive i apologize.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Downpipe comes with it. RPW has their own turbo manifold and it looks nothing like the header.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read a lot of threads which have talked about the RPW downpipe leaking like crazy... on a NA car a downpipe is not going to give you a noticeable gain. might as well stick your money in the intake manifold or throttle body. Both of these gave noticeable gains!
Old Jun 2, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What threads refer to thte RPW leaking like crazy - that is certainly news to me. Is it maybe the gasket you are referring to that has been damaged in fitment. With the amount we sell of these systems for lancers and mirages - this is definitly news to me.

Additionally from there - it is true that the RPW flex pipe / down pipe doesn't add much in terms of horsepower - but that is because our header is so long before merging into the one joint that the down pipe is now very short and is almost just a joiner pipe with a small flex to fit it onto the cat converter.

Remember that unlike other brands of headers - the RPW unit is 3 times longer in the primary pipe lengths and doesn't actually merge until after the sump on the other side of the engine. This is where torque is created from the 4-1 design with no sacrificing of top end horsepower.

And the down pipe / flex pipe supplied is to join it up to the cat converter reducing installation time.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

AMEN

I never heard that S//T either!!!! Never had a problem with mine and it has been over a year now.

WADAD
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

I've never had leak issues with the RPW setup either except where I didn't have the right sized gaskets.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 06:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by mcbrown35
might as well stick your money in the intake manifold or throttle body. Both of these gave noticeable gains!
I don't want to take this off topic, but you will not get noticable gains from a throttle body replacement or boring. What you will get is increased throttle response.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Will having headers on with an exhaust system does it make it louder?

Quick Reply: Headers!! RPW or RRM