Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!
View Poll Results: Best of the Best Headers
RRM
49.14%
RPW
33.14%
Kamikaze
17.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Headers!! RPW or RRM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frchgl123
The RRM header seems to make a horrible connection to the downpipe flange. There are many posts about how bad the exhaust leak is. I can testify this because I have the rrm header. Even with the stock downpipe, the flange on the header seems to be warped and blows out the gasket. I don't know about the RPW header/downpipe, but have only heard good things from other members regaurding fitment and gains. RPW in my opinion....
Get a few gaskets or a thicker one. I use some gaskets that are like a fat 1/8" thick on my collector and where the downpipe connects to the testpipe. RRM cant help it if the flange warped neither can kamikaze, it gets hot, plus it doesn't help if you are using the stock manifold for 25,000 miles with the stock downpipe and then switch the header out. The stock manifold and DP flange had grown old together and warped (grown) together. Now you stick a nice flat RRM flange on your slightly warped DP flange with a wimpy gasket and it blows out when the RRM warps its own way apart from the previously warped DP. That is the reality of metal under extreme temperatures.

And when I am talking about warping it is SLIGHT, like you probably would notice it unless you put a straight edge on it. Just a tweak is enough to blow out the 1/16" stock gasket.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

^ I need to grind the flange down alot. It has to be the header because when I used the stock downpipe, it made a leak in the back (~1in') and didn't notice one in the front. Now with the Buschur downpipe it makes the same leak in the back and a minor on in the front. I see what your saying about using a thicker gasket. I use the Mitsubishi metal ones. The DP came with some gaskets that don't even line up but they are pretty thick, they have like an extra thick ring around the middle of the gasket. Maybe just manipulate it to make it work. ^That is a good idea to why the flanges warp. I was thinking, from working with metal, that maybe when the header gets welded to the exhaust flange it is soo close to the edge of the flange that maybe the heat from welding causes it to tweak a small amout. No very hard to do. I just hope I am not losing a large amount of torque because of this. =[
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

^^Problem fixed. Thicker gasket. MOD: Feel free to delete these posts..
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never heard of a bad connection with our headers. All flanges are CNC cut now. That is better than laser cut! If it is a problem send it to us. If there is something wrong we will handle it no problem. The flange is even threaded for a perfect fit. Maybe you crossthreaded a bolt or something.

ROAD/RACE
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

^There's another thread about this problem, so it isn't unheard of. Even Airlinevomitbag had a good idea to way it happens. I really don't think it is a big enough problem to send it back. I guess that Mitsubishi gaskets are just too thin to hold up... Works fine with a bigger gasket in there. Feels like it drives better too now! I'm done on this thread, way too much off topic. To see the exhaust leak thread, advance search "rrm header"
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Glad that is handled. I think our header does not make a horrible connection but rather as these cars get older, the likelyhood of being able to reuse the gasket get less and less. Thanks

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:37 PM
Account Disabled

bringing this back from the dead for a sec.

having ridden in a car with both the types of headers i can honestly say i was vastly more impressed by the rpw. it pulled harder imho.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOw - a long time dead but thank you for the addition anyway.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Ok please dont hate on this newb for not searching, but i was reading a thread earlier where someone said that they had no CEL with the rpw headers. I think it was due to the 02 connection being higher up and further from the cat. I also read a thread awhile back saying that RRM is now offering a CEL fix for free with their headers. Any word on either of these things? Headers are a few months off for me, but no CEL would be nice
Old Dec 13, 2005, 04:23 PM
Account Disabled

i got the RRM header in my car. when i first put it on i noticed the power from 3k rpms up, right where the normal lancer power band starts normally. it pulls harder all the way to redline, and no lowend torque seemed to be lost. Peak hp number aren't everything. what really matters is how soon and how long you stay in that power under the curve. i'd like to see some comparison dynos
Old Dec 13, 2005, 04:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Both are basically true.

To be honest, CEL is kinda luck-of-the-draw. Some folks get it, some don't.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thats what it seems like. Oh well though, looks like it's a small price to pay for the benefits
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:52 PM
Account Disabled

a very small price.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Both are basically true.

To be honest, CEL is kinda luck-of-the-draw. Some folks get it, some don't.
true, but there are ways to combat it. I believe there are 3 ways actually, search around, I think there is a thread on it, but basically I turned my magnaflow HFC around so the o2 sensor is in the rear, and no CEL for me

You can also pick up an o2 simulator, or do the spark plug defouler trick. But I would decide on what headers are best for you, then wait and see if you get a cel. if you do, its easy and cheap to fix
Old Dec 14, 2005, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

do you still have the old kamikaze greenie? or did you ever switch to RPW? im about to get my rpws.

Quick Reply: Headers!! RPW or RRM