Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but youll still be fwd (could b good or bad), lancer insurance, and different. definately sleeper.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

That is true. Noone will think a Lancer with an Evo engine. Way to rare. But I'm not trying to make this into another Lancer Into Evo thread. I was asking for the Eclipse engine. Not the evo, but somehow came to the Evo.

My question was answered, but we changed subjects into the evo engine. It is costy, about $4 for the engine. Plus Labor, and whatever else goes down the road. Small stuff. I got the labor down hands down. Almost free, but the engine is the costly one.

I was just asking for the eclipse since it's a little cheaper. But those dreams were shot down lol.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

evo engine is a eclipse engine. both are 4g63. older evo engines (if you can find an importer) shouldnt be to costly
Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:16 PM

www.mirageforums.net the topic is discussed daily in our forum. in 1997 + mirage's/Lancers the 4g63 from DSM's and evo 1-3 do not work with the car because the i/m and timing belt and all the good stuff sit on the opposite sides of what the cars factory motor comes with. it takes a lot of fabrication to make it work and its not worth it in the long run. if you want a light car with a 4g63 dsm motor, go with an older mirage 1996 and down can all fit that motor perfectly with little fab and pretty much a direct bolt in. imagine that power in a 2000pound car. the only 4g63's that fit into the newer mirage's lancers are like said before by many others, are the evos' 4 - 9 and those motors do NOT work with the stock transmissions, you have to search for the evo tranny, and do the AWD conversion, and/or use a 3rd gen eclipse tranny which bolts right up with it to do FWD but you have to kind of frankenstein the axles to work with the lancer/mirage. OR to make everything easier, weld the transfer case shut and keep fwd, but then you'll need a new transfer case if you ever wnat to go awd. then after that theres a lot more to the evo swap, wiring is a disaster, although the motor is a direct bolt in. in the USDM 1997+ mirage, the car actually has some bolt imprints in the chassis and engine bay for things that are associated with the evo motor, and drivetrain. for example in the rear of the car underneath, there is almost like an outline of where the diff bolts up, all you have to do is drill where its marked out and bolt it up. once again, for a LOT more information on these swaps. check out www.mirageforums.net
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:32 PM

The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread

ok so i blew my motor, and i want to know how hard will it be to swap engines and just put the 4g63 in my 02 lancer es? i know its been done before but i want to do it. it will probly be a completely rebuilt 94 eclipse engine.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

u need the ecu, and tranny as well.. i know some1 who did this..
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So many threads by the same guy...

It's not a simple sway, it requires a LOT of fabrication. You're probably looking at 10k in work to get it in and running. Most people who say they're going to do it never come back, which leads us to believe they gave up.

You really should search, as this has been discussed over and over since Lancers first came out.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
^Exactly, we don't drive hondas, you can't just plop an engine in and start her up in the same day. You'll need to worry about the tranny bolting up, the wiring, the ECU, the engine mounts, etc. In the end you could buy a new 4G94, install it and turbo it and have just as much power without all the hassle and money.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, man! Just call the junkyard for the ES and go sign your life away for a new Evo!

I wanted to this as well when I had my 03 OZ.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:02 PM

i want to get an evo but i have no credit. not bad credit just none. i just turned 19 and i dont even have a checking account. right now im looking at getting a 1995 eclipse gst with an upgraded evo 8 big 16g turbo. only got 40,000 miles its white and looks great but the guy wants 4000 for it. im trying to get him down to 3000
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

for a 4G94 swap.. other than the motor you need:
-ECU + wiring harness..
-Tranny..
-Immobilizer Unit + wiring..
-fabricate the passenger side motor mount..

THATS ALL!!.. its been done.. and it wasnt even done by a shop..
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CadiLuva
for a 4G94 swap.. other than the motor you need:
-ECU + wiring harness..
-Tranny..
-Immobilizer Unit + wiring..
-fabricate the passenger side motor mount..

THATS ALL!!.. its been done.. and it wasnt even done by a shop..
so youre saying the axles are the same length and even in the same position? pretty sure the evo has a wider track so im also pretty sure the axles arent the same. then once you change those, you probably need to change the spindle assembly, along with the control arms and any other suspension part. the only thing i think that can remain the same is the strut as it has the same mounting points as the evo. and possibly the sway bar.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secluesioned
... it will probly be a completely rebuilt 94 eclipse engine.
A DSM ('90-'99 Eclipse, Talon, Laser, Galant VR-4) engine will *NOT* drop in without heavy fabrication. You need to be looking for an Evo IV-IX motor.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by secluesioned
i want to get an evo but i have no credit. not bad credit just none. i just turned 19 and i dont even have a checking account. right now im looking at getting a 1995 eclipse gst with an upgraded evo 8 big 16g turbo. only got 40,000 miles its white and looks great but the guy wants 4000 for it. im trying to get him down to 3000
First, a simple comment.

Get a checking account. Find a free one, put $15 in it, and leave it there. INGDirect.com has a good new online checking account that also earns you interest.
Try every credit card company until someone will give you one. Shouldn't be hard to get a low "student" card or something with a $500 limit. Chase.com is a pretty good choice.

Don't just sit on your ***, build some credit!

-------

Back on-topic, buy the Eclipse. It'd be a billion times easier than trying to swap your Lancer. As I always preach - "accept what your Lancer is, and what it is NOT."
Old Jan 30, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
^Very good idea. If you're unhappy with the lancer, scrap it if you have the chance.
Cadiluva, don't you mean the ralliart engine (4G69?)? The 4G94 is the motor that comes stock in the lancer. The evo engine was done by a shop and took 6 months.

Quick Reply: The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread