Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot believe the amount of misinformation in this thread. For starters, Yes, a 4G64 CAN be swapped into a 2002-2006 Lancer. NO, it does not require 10k in Custom Fabrication. NO a 4G63 Can NOT be swapped into the 2002-2006 Lancer. The 4G64 engine is from a 00+ 3rd Generation Eclipse RS, not the 420A or the 4G63 found in the 1G and 2g Eclipses. A2 Designs was working on a kit to swap in the 4G64 from the 00+ Eclipse, although someone HAS done it without this kit successfully, and for cheap. They can be found on Southern California Lancer Club forum's. The kit that A2 designs was working on was... dun dun dunnnnn custom half shafts for the transmission as well as a motor mount fix. Nothing too extravagant, no custom welding, no custom transmissions. NOT 10k in customization, this is a 4G64 not a 4G63. For a 4G63 it IS 10k in fabrication and install costs. The biggest mistake in this thread is that people couldn't remember the difference between those 2 engines and the cars they come from.
You can probably do this swap for less than 4k. An engine and tranny should be cheap, install should be 1000-1500 dollars, and half-shafts might run you a bit.

If you need any help finding valid information on this site, let me know and I'll be happy to help you so you don't get misled.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.sclc.net/forum/showthread...5315#post35315
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=225968
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
That's still a lot of money for just the motor. You can get a "new" lancer motor for under 1000$ and install won't cost as much as the swap would. I just don't really see the point in swaps, at least on our cars. Mitsubishi motors are crap NA, so why spend 4000$ to swap in a motor that won't give the car significantly better performance?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
That's still a lot of money for just the motor. You can get a "new" lancer motor for under 1000$ and install won't cost as much as the swap would. I just don't really see the point in swaps, at least on our cars. Mitsubishi motors are crap NA, so why spend 4000$ to swap in a motor that won't give the car significantly better performance?
Agreed, it is a lot of money. But I imagine the $ you paid to have the high comp pistons cost a bit too. And the thousands people spend on bolt-ons that don't do much for a 2.0 SOHC engine. True, the 4G64 is rated at 154 @ the crank, only 34 more than the 4G94. However, it can use Evo turbo manifold's and hold boost quite well should the OP ever decide to go turbo, and he'll be able to do it for pretty low-cost.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well my case was unusual in that I didn't have much of a choice regarding the pistons, my stocks ones were fried and I could either pay 700$ for stock compression or 200$ for high compression, I would like to think I made the smart decision in that regards. I think if you know you are going to go turbo, the best thing to do is to just stick with the stock motor. There's no point in spending 4000$ to swap in a different motor only to turn around and spend another 2000$ to turbo the car. Let's face it, unless you want a dedicated racer and are willing to spend a hell of a lot of money you don't need more than 300 hp in a lancer, which can be obtained on the stock motor.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by N1te
I cannot believe the amount of misinformation in this thread. For starters, Yes, a 4G64 CAN be swapped into a 2002-2006 Lancer. NO, it does not require 10k in Custom Fabrication. NO a 4G63 Can NOT be swapped into the 2002-2006 Lancer. The 4G64 engine is from a 00+ 3rd Generation Eclipse RS, not the 420A or the 4G63 found in the 1G and 2g Eclipses.
Yeah, but your post is dubious and has some misinformation. A 4G63 and 4G64 of the same orientation fit the same way. You think 4G64's only come in 00+ 3G Eclipses, but the engine has been around longer and can be found in 2G Eclipse Spyders (among other cars) as well, but that one is turned the wrong way.

For a 4G63 it IS 10k in fabrication and install costs.
No, not necessarily.

The biggest mistake in this thread is that people couldn't remember the difference between those 2 engines and the cars they come from.
Plus, the mistake you are making in assuming all 4G63's and 4G64's were created equal.

If you need any help finding valid information on this site, let me know and I'll be happy to help you so you don't get misled.
Misled, huh?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Yeah, but your post is dubious and has some misinformation. A 4G63 and 4G64 of the same orientation fit the same way. You think 4G64's only come in 00+ 3G Eclipses, but the engine has been around longer and can be found in 2G Eclipse Spyders (among other cars) as well, but that one is turned the wrong way.

A 4G63 bolts to an AWD transmission, which in this point would not fit. Maybe the engine does, but then the problems would arise when the transmission goes to be put in and there's no room for a driveshaft or an awd transmission. I didn't know they came in 2G eclipse spyders, that's good to know though. It is possible some of my post is misleading, I've never done this swap myself but when I was swapping out the engine in my car I wish I had known. It doesn't seem as difficult as the other swaps people have tried. The misinformation was that people have discussed this 123123 times and that it costs 10k to do any swap. The OP put 4G63 in the title, which has been discussed; but someone else mentioned the swap I'm talking about and flaming continued after that.

No, not necessarily.
From the base of the 02-06 Lancer, only 1 car in Canada has done the 4G63 swap. It cost him $10,000 to do the swap, and being that's the only 4G63 swap we've seen done to the lancer, I'm sticking to the only figure we have to compare to.

Plus, the mistake you are making in assuming all 4G63's and 4G64's were created equal.
I know a 4G64 is not a 4G63. It's a 2.4 Liter n/a engine that was not designed to be turbo'd. It will not do as well as 4G63 with a turbo. However it still runs quite well and produces decent numbers when you do turbo it, and you can use Evo turbo things. That was my point.

Misled, huh?
Please tell me where else I mis-led the OP. I don't like misinforming people and I'd like to read and better my own knowledge, then fix what I said.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

My .02 on this is for everyone to stop saying that things cant be done. It has been proven over and over time and time again as long as you have the determination and the cash anything (as far as cars is concerned these days) can be done. I have an 03 OZ and if I want to drop an EVO 8 4G63T in it I can as long as I have the cash. You guys say that it will cost about 10K to do this but ur basing it on a guy in canada who had it done by a shop which he never told us the price he paid finally, he just told us to contact the shop which then intern told a member here 10k (duh they wil jack up the price on having this done cuz its still rare). I put a h22a in an EG6 back when it was said that it could not be done and I put a small block v8 into a 92 Miata when it was said that it could not be done (gat pics to prove both cases but none of yall here are worth proving to cuz u bad mouth things to much). Now a days both of those swaps I've done are popular as hell so putting diff engines into a regular lancer can be done its just these guys here are too scared to attempt it on there own. Wanna test me just send me a evo8 4g63t motor w/ tranny harness and ecu and Ill get it done. Please when someone ask this question just tell them it can be done as long as they have the cash but they need to do it on their own cuz no one here knows specifically how to do it cuz it hasn't been done it yet then close the topic. Threads like these are a waste of disk space.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

+1^

Well said!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N1te
Please tell me where else I mis-led the OP. I don't like misinforming people and I'd like to read and better my own knowledge, then fix what I said.
Okay, here goes...

A 4G63 bolts to an AWD transmission, which in this point would not fit. Maybe the engine does, but then the problems would arise when the transmission goes to be put in and there's no room for a driveshaft or an awd transmission.
A 4g63 bolts to any transmission that will accept it, for instance it comes bolted to a FWD transmission in my GS-T. So in other words, not all factory equipped 4G63 cars were AWD. IF I blow my engine, it doesn't matter which 4G63 I pull, it could come out of an AWD GSX or a FWD GS-T, makes no difference -as long as it comes from a '95-'99 Eclipse or Talon. However, a '90-'94 Eclipse, Talon, Laser, or Galant VR-4 engine would work too (and is preferred ebcause of strength), it would just take some minor modification.

Also, people build AWD transmissions and then convert them for FWD use for use in FWD drag cars because the AWD trans are stronger, but they both pysically fit in an Eclipse. A Lancer MAY be another story, but there's no reason to assume it is, as I' have seen it done in Mirages which have less room under the hood.

I know a 4G64 is not a 4G63. It's a 2.4 Liter n/a engine that was not designed to be turbo'd. It will not do as well as 4G63 with a turbo. However it still runs quite well and produces decent numbers when you do turbo it, and you can use Evo turbo things. That was my point.
Thats correct, but my point is, a 4G64 is block is just a 4G63 with more deck height. People build 2.4L bottom ends using 4G64 blocks in Evos and DSMs by installing forged internals in 4G64 blocks and then adapting the 4G63 head to it. The block fits in the cars virtually the same way with minor modifcation. The difference is that earlier 4G63 and 4G64 cars from the 90's are turned 180 degrees the opposite way from the '00+ cars( and '99+ Galant) That's why an older 4G63/4 would require major fabrication to get them in a Lancer or late model Mirage.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 31, 2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

I just want to post some pic so people can determine the difficultly factor for themselves. These are pics from a 4g63t EVO 8 Motor. Can someone post clear pics of an 02-03 or 04-06 Lancer Engine in and/or out the car in this thread please.

Attached Thumbnails The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread-96_1.jpg   The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread-04_1.jpg   The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread-54_1.jpg   The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread-62_1.jpg  
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

^^Okay notice how the timing belt cover is on the left in those pictures^^^
Here is a pic of the 4G63T in my Eclipse:
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think anyone has actually said it's impossible, they have simply said it's not realistically feasible and should not be compared to swapping an engine into a honda. If someone want to blow 10000$ and have all kinds of yet unknown problems that's fine, but people shouldn't just smile and say "oh you can do, here I'll even hold your hand", they should damn well say it's going to be hard and expensive. Face facts people, it's not an easy thing to do. Stop playing this "oh you guys are just haters" card, it's getting old.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:14 AM

Or you could save up and get yourself a new '08 Lancer. Even the ES trim is a serious contender.

But regarding your motorswap, you need to have time, money, and effort, plus a sheisse load of resources that go beyond the average tuner's. Fabrication as stated before will be neccessary.

Quick Reply: The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread