Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And now the thread has become a nightmare of arguing.

Which shows that the Lancer community still has a lot of difficulty in dealing with swaps.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
By The Gs-t With Only 40k On It Omg Wtf Are You Doing Buy It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is exactly the person i was talking about.. i bought his CF trunk and APR Wing..
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SnapDragun
My .02 on this is for everyone to stop saying that things cant be done. It has been proven over and over time and time again as long as you have the determination and the cash anything (as far as cars is concerned these days) can be done. I have an 03 OZ and if I want to drop an EVO 8 4G63T in it I can as long as I have the cash. You guys say that it will cost about 10K to do this but ur basing it on a guy in canada who had it done by a shop which he never told us the price he paid finally, he just told us to contact the shop which then intern told a member here 10k (duh they wil jack up the price on having this done cuz its still rare). I put a h22a in an EG6 back when it was said that it could not be done and I put a small block v8 into a 92 Miata when it was said that it could not be done (gat pics to prove both cases but none of yall here are worth proving to cuz u bad mouth things to much). Now a days both of those swaps I've done are popular as hell so putting diff engines into a regular lancer can be done its just these guys here are too scared to attempt it on there own. Wanna test me just send me a evo8 4g63t motor w/ tranny harness and ecu and Ill get it done. Please when someone ask this question just tell them it can be done as long as they have the cash but they need to do it on their own cuz no one here knows specifically how to do it cuz it hasn't been done it yet then close the topic. Threads like these are a waste of disk space.
I think this assumption is based on naivety of people glorifying the ideals that "I can do it" mantra.

Do you actually know the failure rate of going into this venture, excluding international swaps, since the late 90's in the US? It's extremely high! Of course, time and amount of Evo motors somewhat flooding the market have brought the price down a bit. No one drops an Evo motor and leave it stock.

In the late 90's, there were always people with deep pockets similar to Supras owners who grabbed a mirage DE + Evo cut from an E4 or 5 and made it to car shows. Most admirers don't read the firewall plates to know its true origins.

If my memory served me correctly, the 10 grand figure came about from a guy in chicago or somwhere near there w/ TAD Motorsports doing the swap. He was only the few original swappers who gave this heads up to mirage owners. Would he do it again . . . his answer was "no" on the effort, if I remember correctly.

Please, as for the miata w/ a foxbody 'stang crate motor . . . long ago, some guy showcased his car in motor trend in the 90's. Hell, Ford motorsports slam such crate motor in a Focus, and I don't see focus owners jumping on it like flies on a corpse. Hell, few 240sx owners dropped such motors in their cars as w/ Ls1 motor. Now, the rage is the 350z . . . w/ all the goodies and rarity of the motor, it too cost +8 grand.

Last edited by bahamut; Feb 3, 2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

If someone can drop such Evo motor into a mirage or lancer for 4 grand or less like some Sr20DET swap w/ ease and cost, prove me wrong.

I would like to see someone negotiating a wrecker for an Evo motor.
Joe smoe: looks like a nice motor . . . tell you what, 1 grand to take all the motor, ecu, harness, and tranny. Is that a deal?

Wrecker: get the hell outta here!!!!
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bahamut
If my memory served me correctly, the 10 grand figure came about from a guy in chicago or somwhere near there w/ TAD Motorsports doing the swap. He was only the few original swappers who gave this heads up to mirage owners. Would he do it again . . . his answer was "no" on the effort, if I remember correctly.
the 10 grand figure comes from a member on here in canada who actually did it. the thread is here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ne+swap+canada but i dont know if i actually believe that, as the OP has yet to post very much info on it.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I think if you pay 10 grand to get a proper orientation 4G63 into a Mirage or Lancer and leave it FWD you got ripped off.

If you pay 10 grand to get a proper orientation 4G63 and an AWD conversion into a Mirage or Lancer you got a steal of a deal.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

if you have a '02-'03 Lancer do you think it would be possible to do the conversion if you buy a front cut of an Evo VII and the corrisponding rear suspension, axles, dif and driveshaft?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
At that point why wouldn't you just buy an evo? It'd probably only cost a little more, it wouldn't require any custom fabbing and most importantly, you would be driving around a frankenstein that could fall apart the instant you get into an accident.

Last edited by ambystom01; Feb 5, 2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Ha HA... a Frankenstein...

Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
At that point why wouldn't you just buy an evo? It'd probably only cost a little more, it wouldn't require any custom fabbing and most importantly, you would be driving around a frankenstein that could fall apart the instant you get into an accident.
Not quite what i meant. Buying the front clip of an Evo VII is alot cheaper and legal then trying to import a whole Evo VII. I was thinking of converting an USDM Lancer into a Evo VII. Supposedly the USDM Lancer is the Evo VII without the goodies. I was wondering if the chassis is built the same just with different comopnets.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iyi0521
Supposedly the USDM Lancer is the Evo VII without the goodies.
No.
I was wondering if the chassis is built the same just with different comopnets.
It isn't. The Evo VII is built on the CT9A chassis and is a lot closer/virtually identical to the Evo VIII and IX.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. thank you. I was under the impression that with the Evo VIII Mitsubishi up sized the Evo to the Galant chassis.

So the chassis switch was between the Evo VI and VII?

Better question then. Would it be easier to get the front clip, ect. from a Evo IV-VI and a 4 door mirage and go in that direction?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I think the evo has always (or almost always) had a different chassis than the lancer, at least in terms of additional welds and stiffness.
Hate to break it to you, but what you are proposing is illegal. A frankstein car is not even close to legal and if your insurance found out they would drop you instantly. Hell engine swaps are a difficult thing legally speaking and I would wager that a lot of the people who have them are just asking for trouble.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iyi0521
Ok. thank you. I was under the impression that with the Evo VIII Mitsubishi up sized the Evo to the Galant chassis.
Noooo, absolutely not. (I think) it should be pretty obvious if you look a family portrait of evos, that the VII, VIII and IX are almost the same car, with different front bumpers and hoods, tailights and wings (as far as the exterior is concerned). That being said, the CT9A chassis is a highly modified Lancer platofrm, so much so it gets its own desgination. The older Evos are built on highly modified Lancers/Mirage platforms from those basic timeframes.

So the chassis switch was between the Evo VI and VII?
Yes. But that's not the only one. There was a swap between III and IV, IV and V, then the VI and VII. And now IX and X. But not all of them were necessarily as drastic as some of the others.

Better question then. Would it be easier to get the front clip, ect. from a Evo IV-VI and a 4 door mirage and go in that direction?
Maybe, it has at least been done before, and a 2 door Mirage will do, and has been done. But theres nothing wrong with being a pioneer. A half cut VII+ will obviously cost more.

Last edited by GPTourer; Feb 5, 2007 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread