Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Hate to break it to you, but what you are proposing is illegal.
The only thing that I know of that would be illegal is tryign to pass the car off to the authorities or insurance as something it isn't. IF you want to carve your car up and spend 15K+ on it that's fine, as long as it is still presented, for instance, as a 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, then that's fine. If its wrecked or stolen, just be prepared to nly get what that book value is for that particular car.

For engine swaps you are just (supposed) to use an enigne no older then the chassis and leave all the emissions contorls in place. I'm suuuure he's going to do that.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the great state of PA what your car is registered as is what it is regardless of what it looks like. Now the only problem is the emmisions and inspection. You are required to pass inspection as the car that is registered. In other words, if you have a car registered as a Mirage but its awd, you fail.

Illegal: Buy wrecked Mirage and import an Evo V. Swap VIN from Mirage onto Evo and register as rebuilt.

Legal: Buy wrecked Mirage and font cut of Evo V plus rear suspension, axles, drivetrain. Rebuild Mirage into USDM Evo V. Register as rebuilt. YAY.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm fairly certain both things are illegal. Remember when it comes to cars the law is pretty damn strict and there are all kinds of rules and regulations that need to be followed. I would strongly suggest talking to your insurance provider first to make sure they'll cover you if you attempt this.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

I'm fairly certain both things are illegal.
I just realized you are in Canada. Down here, things are much different and varies between states.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

but the cars are similar enough that you could actually swap almost the entire front end to the lancer. the fenders, hood, headlights, and front bumper would all fit as long as you use the VII, VIII, or IX radiator support. a lot of the suspension mounting points are the same as well. i know the control arms and crossmember as well as engine and trans mounts are different, but not sure about the steering rack or anything else.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah but look into it. Saying "oh I'm sure it's legal" isn't really the kind of answer you should give when we're talking about spending a small fortune on a car.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

I vaguely recall Sport Compact Car or Import Tuner doing a story on this kind of thing. From what I remember there was a lot of red tape tp get through among other things.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Ive done the reaserch for Pennsylvania. What i said was legal here. In PA as long as the chassis went through DOT requirements to be legal in the states whatever parts you put on that chassis is your choice. It just has to pass inspection and emmissions. That is why you see alot of 10 sec and lower street cars here. Its also why our insurance rates are so high(i think).
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

I vaguely recall Sport Compact Car or Import Tuner doing a story on this kind of thing. From what I remember there was a lot of red tape tp get through among other things.
There is alot of red tape to go through if you want to register a non USDM car in PA or if you want to build a car without a registered VIN and title.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 09:17 PM

In Delaware, I could put anything under the hood I wanted as long as the exhaust gases were within standards. In Missouri, as long as the safety equipment worked (i.e. lights, horn, etc. - I don't think they checked the brakes though) it passed. In South Carolina, it's on the individual to ensure their vehicle is "safe"...there are no inspections. In California, my vehicle failed because it didn't have the heat riser from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner ('72 Monte Carlo, back in 1994...figures it'd be exempt now). It just depends on where you are. As for the insurance issue, again, it depends. I've talked to some insurance companies and they would only pay book value. Others would cover any modifications as long as they knew about them (if they exceeded a certain price range you had to buy extra insurance though). The best thing for someone to do is check with their DMV, insurance, and maybe even highway patrol to see what restrictions apply to them. To discuss what is legal in your area and try and cast it out on the rest of the world is pointless.

Back to the original idea of an engine swap though, for the 4G64, you would not want to use one from a 1g or 2g Eclipse due to the opposite orientation. I'm not 100% sure if an Evo VIII or IX 4G63 would work, but I know many people are putting those DOHC heads on our engines (I have a 4G64 in my 03 Eclipse). People are also taking the 4G64 bottome ends (or just the cranks and aftermarket rods, pistons, etc.) in Evos. Both seem pretty easy. Another alternative for the 4G64 is that some people use the Kia Optima head. It's a DOHC head similar to the Evo, but with a larger combustion chamber (lower compression)...this'd be great for a turbo setup, plus you could use Evo cams, etc. Basically, find out what's legal in your area, ask your insurance company if they'll cover it, and then start planning your swap accordingly. Your initial idea of posting a thread to ask what would work was a great start, it just got shifted off course by people who don't like the idea of a swap. In my opinion (and since everyone else gave theirs, I figure I'll give mine), I don't like any vehicle as it leaves the factory. What works for mass production and a company's focus towards efficiency, polution, performance, and profit usually does not work for my ideas in what I want in a car. I usually view cars simply as a platform from which I can build a vehicle that suits my desires.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:52 AM
hcj
Evolving Member

dont get the evos engine use 4G63 Turbo 94-99 Eclipse GTS/ Talon Turbo with tran
Old May 13, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hcj
dont get the evos engine use 4G63 Turbo 94-99 Eclipse GTS/ Talon Turbo with tran
This guy has no idea what is going on
Old May 18, 2007, 01:08 AM
hcj
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KillahB
This guy has no idea what is going on
yes you are right
Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Which 4g63 will fit?

Just wondering if the eclipse 4g63 engine will fit in my 2002 lancer or do i have to get the newer one that comes in the evo 4 up to the evo 8?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

There is no 4G63 that will fit in a Lancer to my knowledge. Obviously, anything is possible with enough time and money and effort. There's a 4G64 swap posted in this forum (look at the threads near the top), but no real hard info on the 4G63.

Quick Reply: The 4G63 into a Lancer mega merge thread