Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Adjustable cam gear

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Adjustable cam gear

I may sound like a n00b by asking this, but I don't care. What is the purpose of having an adjustable cam gear?? I know U9v just got his cam installed and he loves the pull it gives him. But why do you need the cam gear?

If I don't ask............ I don't know.
thanks.

Junior
Old May 28, 2003, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjustable cam gear lets you advance the timing to be in line with the cam shaft...you really have to know what you're doing though or the car will either stall or backfire if you set it incorrectly.
Old May 29, 2003, 02:28 AM
Evolving Member

Did you get a cam or a cam gear u9v? and where did you get it?
Old May 29, 2003, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

i think OBX racing might have cam gears, or pulleys..i remember seeing it somewhere
Old May 29, 2003, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by uranium9v
adjustable cam gear lets you advance the timing to be in line with the cam shaft...you really have to know what you're doing though or the car will either stall or backfire if you set it incorrectly.
Is this necessary when you get the cam or did the cam come with it?
Old May 30, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cam gears are not necessary honestly unless you are fitting a larger camshaft to the car.
They were origonlly used with larger camshafts to enable the installer to set the camshaft up to true TDC Zero and then enable it to be advanced / retarded on valve timing to suit the desired application.

For some reason it became "Trendy" to have a cam gear for no other purpose than to say you have one.

Personally - RPW recomends only fitting one when you have a stage 2 or larger camshaft and even then, only by a reputable firm as otherwise you can end up with valves hitting pistons which is not good.

Of course RPW manafactures our own cam gears which are around 1/2 the price of fancy units and when they are hidden underneath a plastic cover - does it really matter what they look like?

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old May 30, 2003, 11:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see you posting such truths mitsuman. Remember a cam gear is for VALVE timing not Ignition timing. Some don't know the difference or think they are the same. This could lead in major damage to vlvs. The basic idea of cam timing is to better proporting vlv open/close cycles in order to use the combustion cycle more efficiently. In essence if a vlv starts to open before your combustion cycle is complete you lose some power. These gears are use for power motors running bigger cams and widley use on turbo/supercharger apps as there are big gains to be had with correct vlv timing there.