Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RRM High Flow Cat Install (rust problems included)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerman360
^ he was wrong, dont go back to him.
lmao!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sa town ridah
lmao!!!!!!!!
What's funny? The mechanic told him a flat-out lie that violates a Federal law.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
What's funny? The mechanic told him a flat-out lie that violates a Federal law.
thought it was funny becuz it was out of random
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sa town ridah
thought it was funny becuz it was out of random

If you say so. The mechanic lied, lancerman360 said not to go to him anymore. Seems pretty normal to me...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you plan on getting a turbo otherwise that mod is really a waste of money.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillahB
Illegal in every state.
Thats what I thought, and thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by rcheung
I hope you plan on getting a turbo otherwise that mod is really a waste of money.
Of course.

I bought the car with intake and exhaust work already started. I figured I might as well finish it up by getting rid of the cats, before I start buying real performance mods.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Did you actually notice it flow better without the cat?

Is it really worth taking out though? If i got caught without a cat, id be screwed, the fine would cost so much that id probably have to sell my car haha.

But the coolest thing though with this mod usually is : Do you shoot flames now when it backfires?! My friend's rx8 goes nuts wtih just a high flow cat in and my other buddy wtih a A4 1.8T shoots flames wtih a test pipe. It's kinda cool to see when you follow behind them at night. It's just a quick flame.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, I wanted to know how loud of a difference is it with the RRM Test Pipe along with my other mods including the exhaust and RRM headers that I already have on my Lancer OZ Rally. Is it going to be that loud to draw attention? I just wanted to get some suggestions from people that already have test pipe, exhaust, and headers on their lancer
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Could not get o2 sensor off the cat today. Its stuck on real good. Its been on the car for like 6 years (its an '02) so i am letting it soak in that blaster stuff you talked bout overnight to see if it will come loose tomorrow. Had to cut the wires to get the cat down and off. If i can get the stupid thing off I'm going to solder the wires back together.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Trust me the o2 will come off. My car is a 02 and it was hard, but it came off. I live in texas and i've been driving around with no cat for atleast a year or so. Cops have pulled me over, but never checked for no cats or whatever.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Ok. I got it off. When i took it for a drive it seemed to idle funny. Like almost stalls out when i come to a stop. any Ideas???
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

You reset the ecu? Did you soak the WHOLE O2 sensor in PB? When you cut the wires you might have messed something up with the wires. Dear god I hope you didn't that O2 is SO damn expensive.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:25 PM

Good write-up. I couldn't get the nuts off the converter at all. I tried everything, even to the point of kicking the socket wrench, lol. I got so frustrated that I just sent the car to a shop and got it put on. Then they said that the pipe didn't fit right and they had to add some extra washers or something. They ended up gettin it on though I have the RRM test pipe btw.

All I have done to the exhaust is the test pipe and Magnaflow axle-back (came with the car when I bought it). Stock headers. I expected the car to be loud as hell after I put the test pipe on, but this was back when I didn't know there was another cat! I would say that the sound is more deeper (if that), but not ricey or anything. Felt only a slight increase in power--I'd say mostly in the 4-5kRPM range.

I also noticed the "low RPM, almost stalling" thing. This went away after about a week or so though.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 02:22 PM

if you are driving around santa monica, ca. I'd say you should really consider not doing this. I was leaving work with my 02 lancer and got pulled over for my exhaust being too loud. Cop wanted to check my motor, saw the aftermarket intake i got from rrm. Didn't have a CARB sticker on it. Got a huge ticket for that and noise. Real PITA. I fought it and got my money back but took a long time, had to have the car sound tested and another smog test done even though I had just had it done a month ago.

So, do what you like but just be aware of the consequences...

Quick Reply: RRM High Flow Cat Install (rust problems included)