Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

fuel filter location

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter location

Iwas just wondering were the fuel filter was located,not the filter hanging of the pump. But were is the inline filter. Because car starts alittle hard,misses at idle on and off. Im not sure what the idle is but it jumps around from 670 anywere to 730rpm at idle. Also when im keeping a constant speed the car will hesitate once in awhile. Changed plugs,wires,coils,maf checked boost leaks. Also when i checked fuel pressure it came out to 16psi at idle and the dealership told me 38psi at idle. I hooked the gauge up right before the regulater or before the rail. Also should you be able to here the pump come on for a sec when you turn the key on but don't start the car. Mine doesn't make any noise. I know most cars do turn on for a sec before you start it. Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, your fuel pressure is way off! have you checked your fmu disk?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know where that filter is but when i turn the key to ON before starting i can hear the pumps going. Idk if thi helps but you can hear them real well after the car has been sitting for a while.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

there is no inline filter. the only filter is the little screen on the bottom of the pump. your pump or your regulator could be bad. check to see if you smell gas in the vac line on the regulator and test for voltage on the pump.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

in case you don't know the location of the fuel pump, it is located under your rear seat underneath a silver disc that protects the opening.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Lancers dont come with a fuel filter in the engine bay as the mirages did? I know my Ralliart has an in-tank fuel filter but I thought the Lancers had a filter in the engine bay.

Hope we arent confusing the sock on the fuel pump with the fuel filter. Here are a few pics of mine.

Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

nope. there is no fuel filter. the only thing that is considered a fuel filter is the plastic housing that goes around the pump. and there is also the screen, or "sock". but that is all.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by atilla
in case you don't know the location of the fuel pump, it is located under your rear seat underneath a silver disc that protects the opening.
whats under the black square next to that?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Im pretty sure the fuel filter is in your fuel pump assembly...inside the plastic casing that your is fuel pump attaches to. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge t'd with an on/off valve you can connect the t'd side of the hose to the fuel rail side and close it when the engine is on and then turn your engine off. If the pressure drops you have a leak on the fuel tank side (regulator, fuel lines, etc depending on your year). If you connect the t'd side of the hose to the fuel tank side, close the valve with the engine off, key on and the pressure is dropping you have a leak on the fuel rail side (Injector, regulator,etc). If the pressure stays still on both circumstances you might want to look for a bad fuel filter and/or bad fuel pump. I hope this can help you

Last edited by marcouxa1; Feb 27, 2014 at 03:19 PM.