Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Homemade short ram intake

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade short ram intake

Ok, I have an idea, but it might be Ghetto. I want to take the factory intake setup, and make it into a short ram, using the existing panel filter (actually I would buy the K&N filter). My idea is to take the part that clips onto the airfilter from the front (not the back, with the MAS), and cut out the whole middle section, to leave it as an open air system. This would remove the restrictive air dam that bolts onto the front of the car, as well as the silencer.

The filter would be totally exposed from the front and would get plenty of air from the grill as the car is in motion.

Would anybody want to "donate" their factory air box to "science"??? It may actually work, but not look the coolest!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2003, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think it would work......u could how ever....cut a 3inch hole in the front of the filter casing and hook a hose to front of the car -> the box....taht might work better......look at these pics. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=short+ram
Old Jun 25, 2003, 06:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Or just buy a MAS adapter plate and a con filter of your choice.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 05:02 AM

Who sells a MAS adaptor plate, I think I'm going with that idea.......and then throw a huge K&N cone on it....
Old Jun 26, 2003, 07:22 AM

OK, I went to www.driverfx.com

and ordered the Vibrant MAS adaptor.. I'll post pics when done. It should work well, and I'll get my choice of a cone filter...
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Be prepared, you are going to have to fabricate some sort of bracket or brace to hold up the filter system. I first tried to make a heat shield out of roof flashing (failed misrably). My second and successful attempt was using a 1/8" steel rod, made some U bends in the ends for the stock bolts, then made a huge loop that goes around the cone filter. It holds it on pretty well and has some movement for absorbing vibration.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 06:24 AM

Did you use the Vibrant MAS adaptor? If so, which sized air filter did you buy? Was it a K&N? How does it sound? Do you have any pics?
Old Jun 28, 2003, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Get the SRI from RRM, it is a complete kit with MAS adaptor plate, K&N Filter and mounting bracket, can't go wrong! And the plate is funneled to help ram air through the MAS.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

about the MAS adapter..

just to tell u, the opening on that is like 4" so u'll need a coupling to get a filter or tubing on. the part number for the mas adapter is 1995 so just search for that and u can find it..
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ksiebert
Did you use the Vibrant MAS adaptor? If so, which sized air filter did you buy? Was it a K&N? How does it sound? Do you have any pics?
I got a Vibrant filter from them as well. Just give them a call and order the MAS adapter along with the Vibrant filter that fits. It sounds awesome btw.