Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Building an EVO spec, and issues already to think about: Exhaust rant

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Building an EVO spec, and issues already to think about: Exhaust rant

(Edited) to get this right, the goal of the project will be to match the EVO X performance spec, to make the claim that this is an evo, well would be rude and disrespectful to the original evos out there. This is a Factory Built CVT, with a few friends and a few contacts and all of us with way too much time on our hands attempting to build something more, and bring something out of the name EVOSOUL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right when we thought we thought of everything, and made all the right calls to all the right people. There are things that we just didnt take into account.

Besides the basic idea of throwing a turbo on a Lancer which has been a easy joyful task on everything 2007 on down.

We didnt take serious thought into how this rig is going to sound after the everything is put together.

After doing some serious testing with a few Mufflers to get an idea of what we are dealing with. Our rep links thru us a few exausts to get us going, Magna Flow, Bosal, Borla etc... and the sounds get to be honest annoying due to the auto shifting of the CVT, or should i say lack of shifting which is the problem. the droning sound of a 1.9 RPM constant accel is scary and if the exhaust is too loud or handles the flow in an unkind way, the vibration at those levels can leave you with a slight ring in the ears for long periods of time.

Of the 5 systems tested in our crude workshop, it seems that the Borla produced the best low - mid and high end tone. But of course, to each his own, some perfer sounds that others dont. all you can do is shrug your shoulders.

Now of course tones are going to vary greatly from setup to stepup and from car to car or even the individual products from each manufacturer so this is far from an exact science. In August we hope to get our INJEN and Borla links out here and get the first stage of piping underway. Lord help us we get this turbo right.

Something to think about if you are in the market for a cat back system or heck just a throw on Exhaust / Rez.

Other then the Axle back out there by the RR anyone try any other custom jobs?

Last edited by evo_soul; Jul 30, 2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: pointing out the goal
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
May I be the first to say "HUH?" Maybe I'm stupid, but it just seemed like a long, rambling post. I have no clue what you're telling me or asking me or what. Nor do I understand why your tone/phrasing is that of a vendor but yet you aren't a vendor on EvoM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im just going to wait to hear the greddy ti-c on a cvt version before i try anything else. i was thinking that since i got my gts that the cvt would sound crazy with a aftermarket exhaust.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
May I be the first to say "HUH?" Maybe I'm stupid, but it just seemed like a long, rambling post. I have no clue what you're telling me or asking me or what. Nor do I understand why your tone/phrasing is that of a vendor but yet you aren't a vendor on EvoM.
lol i think he means that its not so easy to make a cvt sound good with exhausts out so far.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
I am not selling anything, I am not a vendor for EVOLUTIONM and i dont think i said that in the post. I am building an evo and getting a feel for what others are going thru with basic exhaust upgrades.

I am new to the Mitsubishi family,

Very few will be going to the turbo step this early.

I have a few friends I work with as well as from my previous car club that i am still a member of. TOprotege

cheers
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Let me be the first to say, YOU CAN'T BUILD AN EVO FROM A LANCER! An Evo is an Evo... putting a turbo on a Lancer does not make an Evo. Nor would somehow doing some kind of aftermarket AWD system.

What you are building is a turboed Lancer... no more, no less. In the years I've posted on this forum this is the single stupidest post I've read to date.

Fox
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dsrttigr
im just going to wait to hear the greddy ti-c on a cvt version before i try anything else. i was thinking that since i got my gts that the cvt would sound crazy with a aftermarket exhaust.
the greddy looks promsing

I am going to try to put together a few sounds, this borla is acurate but your at the mercy of the flow/restriction from the engine / size

The borla clip sounds pretty acurate for this application
A borla clip

I will locate a few more, but I dont have any greddy examples to pull from. but i wil ask around form my car club

Does anyone else have any clips?

Last edited by evo_soul; Jul 30, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

well this is a carry over from a previous thread convo in the show and shine forums. Of course it will be impossible to recreate every single feature in the coming availible evo such as the AWD application and advanced computer stability control and such so on. But we hope, my friends and I willing to take on the project are looking to match its performance specs, or exceed them. Within reason.

But as no insult to EVO cars or EVO owners out there, i should be a little more clear about what i am trying to do here and what i am talking about so that some dont get any miss conseptions.

Thanks Shingen for putting that out

Cheers

Originally Posted by Shingen
Let me be the first to say, YOU CAN'T BUILD AN EVO FROM A LANCER! An Evo is an Evo... putting a turbo on a Lancer does not make an Evo. Nor would somehow doing some kind of aftermarket AWD system.

What you are building is a turboed Lancer... no more, no less. In the years I've posted on this forum this is the single stupidest post I've read to date.

Fox