Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RRM Intake Disputes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Intake Disputes

So... Among this forum and a few others, people are saying that the RRM Intake should not be near the exhaust manifold. If you think about it, this SRI isn't any different than SRI's on other cars. The big difference is that the engine is backwards and the exhaust manifold is in the back of the engine bay instead of the front. SRI's on other cars are just as close as the RRM for the 2008 lancer, though we just dont realize it because it looks like there is more space at the front of engine bays than the rear. This is my opinion. I believe thats it would have been a smart idea for RRM or any other company to have the intake face the front of the engine bay, but for SRI's they are most likely always facing the direction of the Exhaust manifold... Think about it, and you'll see that my opinion has potential.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Ok?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:45 AM

you can do that but you have to move the battery. RRM just mad a simple design that was easy to install so that the norman joe shmoe could diy. it would be better to have the intake toward the front but it would be alot more work. im sure there will be an intake that goes in the front soon though!!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Im just clarifiying the dispute on the RRM Intake in my own words, and looking for other peoples input.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

The battery would not have to be relocated in order to create a front mount SRI System
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

someone needs to put a thermometer at the RRM intake point and then at the stock intake point and see how much a difference there really is. We should get a pool going and who ever guesses the difference / spread the closest wins.

I'm gonna guess the difference in temp is around 12 degrees minimum and 3 hp performance. This is a totally off the hip guess but I had fun coming up with it. I'm gonna do some research and see what the possibilities are.

Now lets see peoples response!!

Last edited by elpoole; Sep 26, 2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

so are you saying you are going to believe that the RRM Intake is 12 degrees hotter than stock? or cooler?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your worried about the sri facing the exhaust side then wait for them to come out with a cai. the sri on the 08s cant be any worse than the sri on my RA, its facing towards the exhaust manifold and i dont have any problems with it. i dont understand what your trying to accomplish here .
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

im not trying to accomplish anything, i just simply stated an opinion and am looking to see what other people think.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:58 PM

I agree. I know the buisness side of it led it partly to where it is and they did do a quality piece but again they never said "this will be the best SRI ever" but ya I think with the heat shield that they are making for it it will be better but would have been best up front. I was wondering why they didnt put it up there too?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is so funny, lol well with a short ram, you are opting for location and Mass Volume. Temp. of the air is a secondary issue. My Variant M-SRI has the filter directly above the exhaust manifold behind the engine. But has air damns providing air flow. But heat is there.

no offense at all, but I just do not think you can dispute the a Short Ram
Its intention vs. a COLD has heat as a secondary factor in its application.

That is unless your car engine is on fire... lol
Old Sep 26, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an infrared laser temp gauge and although I still have the stock intake I will try and get some readings and post them within the next three days, if someone does before me great then we can compare specs. Until then.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:21 PM

i don't want to get into this argument but when a cai will come out? sooner or later?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WTF?
The filter on the RRM SRI is in the exact same spot as the stock airbox. How do you bozos really think that it's magically hotter? The stock air tube is reused, so you're not changing the system at all. Just removing a restriction (the box) and changing the filter media (paper panel to cone). The SRI adds power. Be happy about that.

THINK!

Also, RRM is in production on a heat shield. That should help the doubters.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:21 AM

remember that the snorkel comes from the front and the box is sealed to the out side, but even that the box will absorb heat not much but some.

Quick Reply: RRM Intake Disputes