Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Warming up your car during winter in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 02:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do they have a transmission oil warmer?? lol
Old Nov 27, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by midunn
Well lately since it's been about -20 celcius in the mornings I've been letting the car idle about 5-6 min, takes that long to clear the snow and frost anyways.

Karan,
You have a block heater? Northside Mits told me it was a waste of money because of new technology the car doesn't need one however, if it's ever too cold to start I'll be calling them to get it started and then have them throw in a block heater for free.
I think Northside's yanking your chain - I thought that block heaters are a requirement in Canada. Every car I've ever bought has had one, and if you want to import a car from the US, you have to get one installed before you can register it.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol i wish it was a requirement but i doubt it.

Its really a users option, putting in a block heater cuts down on the wait time. But you could also invest in a car starter as well.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

hey SVTong check your PM's
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

lol heater are certainly not an obligation, even snow tire are not a requirement ! (at least here in quebec), you can even still use the ultra crappy 4 season to paddle in the 4inch snow on our road, so heater ? what a joke
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Right I guess they offer block heaters and winter tires for the rest of us who dont want to overburden our engines and risk wrecking the car or injuring someone in a collision, using tires which are clearly not designed for severe winter conditions.

But yeah you're right, what a joke.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karan
Right I guess they offer block heaters and winter tires for the rest of us who dont want to overburden our engines and risk wrecking the car or injuring someone in a collision, using tires which are clearly not designed for severe winter conditions.

But yeah you're right, what a joke.
after you drive off the lot, you think they care lol
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Well I meant when there's the opportunity to make cash ofcourse they'll offer you. A few greenback's generates all the care in the world
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by SVTong
I think Northside's yanking your chain - I thought that block heaters are a requirement in Canada. Every car I've ever bought has had one, and if you want to import a car from the US, you have to get one installed before you can register it.
That's why if I ever have car trouble they will be putting one in for free. When I bought the car I asked to have one put in and they told me that I didn't need one so if my car ever does not start I'll be calling road side assistance and then having one installed curtesy of Northside.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by midunn
That's why if I ever have car trouble they will be putting one in for free. When I bought the car I asked to have one put in and they told me that I didn't need one so if my car ever does not start I'll be calling road side assistance and then having one installed curtesy of Northside.
did u get that in writing?!?!?! if not u are s.o.l.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm yeah I hope you dont get screwed over this. During the sale, you gotta get them to write down every little detail on the invoice otherwise they conveniently "forget" to give it later.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:27 PM

I bought mine from west side mitsu and they told me the same thing, that we don't need a block heater.
Strangely enough southside said they have block heaters installed after getting the cars shipped to their dealership.
West side told me that mitsu guarantees starting up to -50 C
Experiencing both dealers (made a purchase from each), I found west side to be more truthful and upfront about everything compared to south side.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fitzd
I bought mine from west side mitsu and they told me the same thing, that we don't need a block heater.
Strangely enough southside said they have block heaters installed after getting the cars shipped to their dealership.
West side told me that mitsu guarantees starting up to -50 C
Experiencing both dealers (made a purchase from each), I found west side to be more truthful and upfront about everything compared to south side.
Funny, I had a completely opposite feeling from both dealers. West side tried to screw me out of 3500 bucks when I was shopping for my car.
My GTS came with a block heater installed (and I bought it from Southside).
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

30 seconds to a minute is enough to warm up the car with synthethic oil even mineral . When you start the car cold it idles at like 1500-2000 Rpm so what the hell is the difference between your car moving or staying in the parking , the engine is running in both cases . The important is to take it easy and keep the revs down to 3500 rpm until it warms up .
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:34 AM

thankyou for you input evosoul.....

the thing is ... by wut i meant wasting gas,... i meant the engine idle at 1500rpm when starting cold anyways, why not drive our car at 2000rpm max... (500 more rev then idle) so that we can make the oil burn it the efficient way, (warming up AND drive) instead of standing still, burning the gas just for warming up...

correct me if i'm wrong, cuz i've been thinking that reving 1500rpm idle vs 1500rpm driving slow would yield the same result, namely warming up the engine.. isnt it?

Originally Posted by evo_soul
DO YOU, have any IDEA what driving your car without warming it up in the winter does to your engine. Let me put it to you this way. Oil in order to do its job in an engine for the most part is heat activated.

Take a bottle of oil *if you feel like wasting a bit, put it in the freezer. an hour later take it out. Open it and pour it out. Now take one at room temp pour it out, and one that is heated to about 55'c or higher, then pour.

Remember oil needs to coat your engine internals to work properly, if does not coat , it is not effective as a lub. I see some many dumb asses start their car. after a -40'c night, slam it in to D and red line that car up and down the road in the hope to warm them selves up.

Your doing your car serious damage with metal on metal contact.

You think its a waste of gas? think of the pain in the *** a blown gasket or leaking oil will be. that extra 3 minutes of gas idling in the morning protects your engine. If its extremely code, you bet your *** your gonna let it warm up for 5 minutes.

make no mistake. anyone who tells you, oh ya 30 seconds is fine, is sadly mistaken, unless they have a block heater.

This is just talking about your engine, your AUTO transmission is a good example. a cold tranny depending on the car of course, will give slow / delayed sloppy shifts compared to a well warmed up car.

Be careful and beware.

Quick Reply: Warming up your car during winter in Canada